• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

What AVB did last season was devise a way for us to get the most out of the players we had. There was no Modric, an out of form Ade, a Defoe whose scoring streak luckily for us happened to come at the start of the season, a Dempsey without a proper pre season. It's highly likely that without Bale's goals we'd have ended up in 7th or 8th place, but that's as good as that squad was with so few match winners of any real quality. There wasn't any room for AVB to come in and have a proper transitional season, he had to make us competitive straight away.

Some of the basics carries over to this season, like the way we defend, but we've put together a whole new attacking line up and IMO we have yet to see us play the way AVB truly wants. Again we have to be competitive straight away and with a never ending schedule of games the improvements will come slowly and gradually.

that's an interesting reflection on last season, although i think that saying 7th/8th without Bale is a little ott - on paper it certainly wasn't as good as the previous season imv, good enough for a decent crack at 5th imv.

i also think i agree with what BoL has been saying with regards to how AVB wants us to play - that this is not far off of it, but i don't think we are executing it anywhere near as good as he ultimately wants, at least in an attacking sense - i don't expect a dramatic change in style - just that we get better at how we play it and when that happens more chances will be created and more goals scored.

whether we can make it work that well or whether it will live up to our traditions in terms of style is yet to be seen

that's an interesting reflection on last season, although i think that saying 7th/8th without Bale is a little ott - on paper it certainly wasn't as good as the previous season imv, good enough for a decent crack at 5th imv.

i also think i agree with what BoL has been saying with regards to how AVB wants us to play - that this is not far off of it, but i don't think we are executing it anywhere near as good as he ultimately wants, at least in an attacking sense - i don't expect a dramatic change in style - just that we get better at how we play it and when that happens more chances will be created and more goals scored.

whether we can make it work that well or whether it will live up to our traditions in terms of style is yet to be seen

We were 9 and 11 points ahead of Everton and Liverpool respectively in the end and on paper we were a bit better than both in terms of quality in depth, but how many games did we not turn in our favour late on? I must say it was a delight watching us fight till the end instead of fizzling out. Our good form towards the end of the season tends to get ignored due to the gooners' even better form. That's what makes me believe there's much more to come this season.

Oh right, sorry, I didn't realise that watching Spurs play this season was like watch Spain in the last Euros, you know, like watching one of the best international sides ever! Sorry, my bad...

You know, I'm glad you got me out of my senses, as for one minute I thought we were a shambles who made me want to surgically extract my own testicles using a desert spoon and a pair of tweezers, but oh no. Spain, yes, Spain. We're just like them. Yes, yes we are.

I mean watching Inesta and Villa pass around top quality international sides before scoring, not giving their opponents a sniff in the process is just like watching Paulinho pass sideways to Sigurdsson 100 times before we lose the ball eventually after going nowhere and get down by an instant punt over the top of our high line..... ARE YOU GUYS ON LSD????

According to some of your earlier descriptions of us, we are EXACTLY like Spain. They are the most mind numbingly boring football side I have ever seen.

NWND - you're entire posts assumes AVB's vision is to be defensive and that what we are seeing is the ultimate objective. There's many, many things written about him out there that suggest otherwise and to simply ignore it all won't make your point any more valid.

His style of play was markedly different from Mourinho's for example who is more functional, and the Chelsea players didn't like it. He likes attacking full backs, a high line, a sweeper keeper, fluid play. But for some reason people are now suggesting a high line = defensive, which just isn't the case at all. It's about control, not about being defensive. Defensive is Stoke, sitting back with men behind the ball and then lumping it forward with no ability to retain possession. Functional is Mourinho's first Chelsea side. Right now we are functional too, but if you looked into AVB's past and his philosophies even a little then you would see that it isn't what he ultimately wants.

Last season Potchettino was accused by many of sucking away the flair that Adkins allowed Soton to play with and made them too functional. Many criticisms that went his way are going AVB's way now -right up to the fact that they performed better against bigger sides rather than ones that sat back. But he's got them playing well now - because they have gone through that phase of adjustment and it's now working for them. It takes time to learn this style, and when it isn't clicking it can look slow and laboured.

And before you say 'Well if Southampton are now performing a similar style well then why can't we?' I think it would largely be down to the fact that their main attacking players are the same from last year - their big new signing Osvaldo has been the worst - where as our entire attack is basically new and we've lost our best player. Big difference. Let's give it the season and see how we do before suggesting we are settling in for a decade of defensiveness.

Sorry, but where is the evidence that AVB's philosophies involve fluid play and stuff? Yes, it's clear he likes a high-line and attacking full-backs. I see that every time i see Spurs, with our full-backs pushed up at the half-way line, ready to be done by a long diagonal punt in behind when the last of our 100 sideways passes go astray.

I can see he likes a keeper to be off his line the instant the punt does go over the top. I see that all the time. I can see he values control. But control, while its not park-the-bus defensive, is AVB defending himself too much, its safety-first percentages football.

We retain possession all the time, what do we do with it? Its painful to watch. We don't do anything. And the thing is he did this at Chelsea, all the Chelsea fans I knew said "he'll make you boring to watch and you'll struggle against weak teams and get done on the counter all the time". You know what? I said you're just bitter that he's our new manager. It looks like they may be proved right.

He did this last season, so many games that were boring to watch, but Bale popped up with a goal, or we managed to get one from somewhere.

Pochettino has now got Southampton playing good football, so after half a season? Saints have had to bed in a lot of new players too, intact more players into their first team than we have.

This excuse of all these new players. Only Soldado, Paulinho and Chiriches have regularly started games for us!!! Even if you count Townsend as being new, who basically plays the same as Lennon, but with more shooting, then its still a stretch to explain the devastatingly awful football being played.

I trust what I am seeing, not what AVB wrote in a book while he was at Porto a few years ago, I am seeing a definite choice to play the way we are, basically it is always choose the safe pass, unless you see a stone-wall gap in their defensive make-up and you are sure you can make the pass…it's basically tiring the opposition out and waiting for the mistake.

The problem is in terms of effectiveness is if the mistake never comes, or if it comes, but you don't finish your one or two chances, or if they manage to score, then you're screwed.

Also, to watch its pretty horrible.

So please show me the evidence, as if i'm the jury right now, what i'm getting from you is "ignore all the blood splattered all over his apartment, the DNA traces on her body, the illegally owned shot-gun with his prints all over it…I met the guy a few weeks ago and he told me that he's a really calm kind of dude and he loves his wife, must be what he's really like, because you know, he said so!"

why waste our time when you've already made up your mind?

Sorry, but where is the evidence that AVB's philosophies involve fluid play and stuff? Yes, it's clear he likes a high-line and attacking full-backs. I see that every time i see Spurs, with our full-backs pushed up at the half-way line, ready to be done by a long diagonal punt in behind when the last of our 100 sideways passes go astray.

How many times has this happened this season?

According to some of your earlier descriptions of us, we are EXACTLY like Spain. They are the most mind numbingly boring football side I have ever seen.

Hahaha, ok. Spain aren't boring. The only way they are boring is that we knew who was going to win both the last two tournaments. They pass with a purpose. They're always looking forward, yes, sometimes it doesn't open up and they go back, but its always to go forwards. its always one-touch too. What we do is we pass, take a touch, look around nervously, take another touch, pass, take a touch, look around nervously, take another touch, pass etc.

How many times has this happened this season?

Quite often. Infact, Remy should have scored before he did, because of a through-ball behind the full-back (ok, it wasn't a diagonal punt, but still the same idea).

why waste our time when you've already made up your mind?

Because i'm trying to convince others that AVB isn't the man for Spurs. I mean, I just don't understand this complete faith in his "plan".

"oh yes, we're s***, but don;t worry, that's all part of AVB's plan. His plan is to have us playing like world and european champions, but it also involves being s*** for a year first, maybe two. I mean, when we sell a couple of players and buy a couple of players next summer, like every club does do, his plan will be put back another year because we're integrating new players and it takes time, you know, for the pre-set planned patterns to become psychologically ingrained into the 'hive mind', so that our players all robotically pass to each other and create ninja-football assists. We're always one year away from perfection, but the s*** stage is where we're at now, and its part of the plan. Don't worry, though, I read in a book once that AVB doesn't like s*** football teams. So he's got a different plan for us.

Quite often. Infact, Remy should have scored before he did, because of a through-ball behind the full-back (ok, it wasn't a diagonal punt, but still the same idea).

So are you calling for our full backs to be more defensive?

I don't think it's happened too often and when it has hardly anything has come from it.

Only one team has set out to play diagonal against us all season and that was Chelsea, but it doesn't surprise me as Mourinho is clever with trying to exploit weaknesses in teams. In fact it hindered them as that was all they were trying to do in the first half, it wasnt until Mata come on and they stopped doing it that they became a threat.

Hahaha, ok. Spain aren't boring. The only way they are boring is that we knew who was going to win both the last two tournaments. They pass with a purpose. They're always looking forward, yes, sometimes it doesn't open up and they go back, but its always to go forwards. its always one-touch too. What we do is we pass, take a touch, look around nervously, take another touch, pass, take a touch, look around nervously, take another touch, pass etc.

Could it possibly be that most of our players have been brought up on different styles and what we're seeing is them getting to grips with a new one? No matter how much you practice, it's still not quite the same as performing when it matters.

We haven't had time to work on things on the training pitch the same way Liverpool, Southampton or Everton have and while chopping and changing the team might make us look disjointed at times and makes the gelling process take longer, it will benefit us in the long run.

Because i'm trying to convince others that AVB isn't the man for Spurs. I mean, I just don't understand this complete faith in his "plan".

"oh yes, we're s***, but don;t worry, that's all part of AVB's plan. His plan is to have us playing like world and european champions, but it also involves being s*** for a year first, maybe two. I mean, when we sell a couple of players and buy a couple of players next summer, like every club does do, his plan will be put back another year because we're integrating new players and it takes time, you know, for the pre-set planned patterns to become psychologically ingrained into the 'hive mind', so that our players all robotically pass to each other and create ninja-football assists. We're always one year away from perfection, but the s*** stage is where we're at now, and its part of the plan. Don't worry, though, I read in a book once that AVB doesn't like s*** football teams. So he's got a different plan for us.

Doing a bang up job.

I'll take your definition of **** over actually being **** any day.

So are you calling for our full backs to be more defensive?

No, but full-backs are often more attacking when they're coming from deep on the over-lap. At the moment if anything they're more likely to just get in our winger's way and increase the congestion and there isn't much room for them to build up a head of steam going forward.

We're in general just pushed up far too high and making the pitch far too congested, we need to loosen up a bit and be a bit more flexible in the play. Push up at the right time and force mistakes, but be prepared to drop off too. A classic example of the successful teams is that when a centre-back has the ball they will drop off. They know the centre-back doesn't have the ability to be likely to hurt them with an accurate through-ball or dribble, but as soon as the ball is fired into a danger man then its push-up and press in packs!

I'd also like our full-backs to hold off on pushing up until a wide-midfielder or wide forward has the ball, go on a run from deep ready to be played in.

The thing is we are very vulnerable to the counter, being so pushed up as well, Hull, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham, Sheriff, well most teams this season have managed to create chances against us, often fluffing them by just one ball over the top or slid in-between our centre-backs and full-backs for someone to run onto.

Sheriff was the best example as they had two pacey strikers that constantly got in behind with one ball over the top despite us bossing possession as usual not doing anything with it.

We're vulnerable because we're not creating chances, the opposition don't feel under pressure and are able to pick their time and their pass.

Because i'm trying to convince others that AVB isn't the man for Spurs.

but all you're doing is repeating the same observations again and again, most of which everyone can see, hows that meant to convince someone the manager needs to go? :lol:

but all you're doing is repeating the same observations again and again, most of which everyone can see, hows that meant to convince someone the manager needs to go? :lol:

Oh, so that's why i felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall. Fine, well I will have my opinion and you can have yours. If you're happy with what AVB is doing, then good on you, I'm happy for you.

Oh, so that's why i felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall. Fine, well I will have my opinion and you can have yours. If you're happy with what AVB is doing, then good on you, I'm happy for you.

if that is the case then why are you continually trying to :
convince others that AVB isn't the man for Spurs.
why not give the rest of the board the same courtesy you've just shown me and be happy for them to have their own opinions also?

if that is the case then why are you continually trying

why not do the rest of the board the same courtesy you've just shown me and be happy for them to have their opinions also?

Blimey, if only Nelson Mandela and Ghandi had had that attitude, right? The world would have been a much better place :)

I've cut out the bit on the high line for the moment (I will try to come back to it) because I thought that your points on our full backs are worth breaking down in a response.

No, but full-backs are often more attacking when they're coming from deep on the over-lap. At the moment if anything they're more likely to just get in our winger's way and increase the congestion and there isn't much room for them to build up a head of steam going forward.

Our fullbacks should not be getting in the way of our wingers because we are playing with inverted wingers who should be cutting inside when the fullback pushes past them. If they are occupying the same area then we are not forcing the opposition full back to make a decision of which player to pick up and not getting enough support into the box. Obviously this is an area where we can improve but I think that Lamela replacing Townsend and Rose coming back should solve a lot of our problems here.

I'd also like our full-backs to hold off on pushing up until a wide-midfielder or wide forward has the ball, go on a run from deep ready to be played in.

Wouldn't this make us less attacking?

The thing is we are very vulnerable to the counter, being so pushed up as well, Hull, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham, Sheriff, well most teams this season have managed to create chances against us, often fluffing them by just one ball over the top or slid in-between our centre-backs and full-backs for someone to run onto.

How many times have teams managed to capitalise on this? We've got one of the best defensive records in the league, I can't say that I am overly worried about this.

Sheriff was the best example as they had two pacey strikers that constantly got in behind with one ball over the top despite us bossing possession as usual not doing anything with it.

I thought that Sheriff played well in both legs, yet the only goal they scored against us was from a Friedel howler.

We're vulnerable because we're not creating chances, the opposition don't feel under pressure and are able to pick their time and their pass.

I agree. If we scored more goals then we would be winning more comfortably.

Back