• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Away to Villa before Townsend's fluke was the one the that stood out for me.
We had just lost to West Ham and we came out and played exactly the same way.
Passing the ball round our own half with a big hole in our midfield.

vcCH7Z3.jpg

But this supposedly is us controlling the game and waiting for the right time to strike

..and this is the sort of turgid football that bores me rigid! Not one successful forward pass in a dangerous area. I want this to change...and soon.

'Just because AVB says we're not prepared...doesn't mean we're not prepared' just because AVB says "Llloris is fine"...and after he misses the next game says "It has nothing to do with the Everton game...if the game was played tomorrow Hugo would play"....just because AVB says continuously that he likes to keep certain things private and the next minute discusses his personal dispute with Mourinho to the media.

TBH i find it funny (although not surprising) that the posters that constantly bitched about the things Arry used to say to the media keep their mouth well and truly shut at some of the nonsense AVB spouts. I constantly stated that Arry was utterly hopeless when dealing with the media but AVB isn't great either.

That's a good point. He used to hold his press conferences at Chelsea on a Thursday as opposed to Friday like the rest of the managers. Ok most people will say who gives a ****, but I remember a few journalists at the time when he was Chelsea manager said it's not an ideal method of getting the media on your side.

Of course he was well within his right to talk about his relationship with Mourinho in public, but there wasn't really a need for it, if anything Mourinho actually managed to come across as the bigger man as crazy as that sounds.

By the way, can I PLEASE ask that we REFRAIN from going back to Harry Redknapp?
In the interests of sanity and all that.
A FRIENDLY request…

Anyone wishing to discuss him with me can PM me.

Thanks.

By the way, can I PLEASE ask that we REFRAIN from going back to Harry Redknapp?
In the interests of sanity and all that.
A FRIENDLY request…

Anyone wishing to discuss him with me can PM me.

Thanks.

It's more an observation tbh. I can't deny that after AVB made that ridiculous comment when questioned about Lloris' injury prior to the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game, i wasn't waiting for certain posters to comment and voice their opinion. Sadly it didn't come and it hasn't come for some of his other silly media comments.

'Just because AVB says we're not prepared...doesn't mean we're not prepared' just because AVB says "Llloris is fine"...and after he misses the next game says "It has nothing to do with the Everton game...if the game was played tomorrow Hugo would play"....just because AVB says continuously that he likes to keep certain things private and the next minute discusses his personal dispute with Mourinho to the media.

TBH i find it funny (although not surprising) that the posters that constantly bitched about the things Arry used to say to the media keep their mouth well and truly shut at some of the nonsense AVB spouts. I constantly stated that Arry was utterly hopeless when dealing with the media but AVB isn't great either.

Who are "these posters" and what did they say?

I never read much into anything anyone says to the media. It's mostly cliches and pleasantries. When someone is telling blatant lies to cover their own ass I might point it out.

It's ironic that a lot of posters who didn't like the last manager for whatever reason either personal or because of his supposed lack of managerial prowess are the same ones who are getting the hump because there's a small minority that want the manager out and the rest who are concerned and tell them to "get behind the manager". Smacks a bit of hypocrisy. I think it shows deep down that football fans like/support who they want to support, that's not a dig at Spurs fans because all football fans do it.

I wish people would stop trying to put words in other people's mouths or try to create or group people in factions.

There were few people on this board who were a more vocal supporter of Redknapp than me. I was aware that he had his limitations, just as this manager has his faults but thought then, as I think now, that the time to appraise a managers performance is at the end of the season.

Short-termism kills football clubs.

That's happening on both sides tbh. The ones that defend AVB always come up with the same excuses and the ones attacking him usually come up with the same points to criticise him on. Naturally the side that you're on will not annoy you as much as the points being raised by the 'other side' so people will throw statements like 'voice of reason' to the posts that go with their point to somehow insinuate that the 'other side' are not being reasonable.

Any real neutral that reads this thread will simply see it as both sides putting their arguments across...no big deal.

That is a not very balanced way of presenting the situation. "Excuses" is a pejorative term whereas "points to criticise him on" is a neutral or contructive.

I think that the difference between the way this this discussion is being approached is that those more vocally supporting AVB are trying to find evidence to back up their argument, whereas those being disparaging are dismissing any evidence out of hand and instead asking us to trust what they see with their eyes.

Who are "these posters" and what did they say?

I never read much into anything anyone says to the media. It's mostly cliches and pleasantries. When someone is telling blatant lies to cover their own ass I might point it out.

Not being funny but wasn't exactly what AVB did when he stated the injury to Lloris "had nothing to do with the Everton game" before spouting off some crap about him being able to play if the game was the next day?

That is a not very balanced way of presenting the situation. "Excuses" is a pejorative term whereas "points to criticise him on" is a neutral or contructive.

I think that the difference between the way this this discussion is being approached is that those more vocally supporting AVB are trying to find evidence to back up their argument, whereas those being disparaging are dismissing any evidence out of hand and instead asking us to trust what they see with their eyes.

Ah a subliminal diss....awww that cuts deep, it burns it burns.

Being a Nas fan i'm well aware of subliminal disses and am quite a fan so i applaud you on your work.

..and this is the sort of turgid football that bores me rigid! Not one successful forward pass in a dangerous area. I want this to change...and soon.

That goal came in the 30th minute. That is a very short period of time to try and base an argument about our football over the season to date.

One of the things that struck me about the Villa game was how high both team pushed up and how compressed play was. I watched the game on TV and there was a long camera shot in the first half which showed both defences sitting just behind the centre circle.

Ah a subliminal diss....awww that cuts deep, it burns it burns.

Being a Nas fan i'm well aware of subliminal disses and am quite a fan so i applaud you on your work.

I think that it is a direct quote but I will go back and check

I think that it is a direct quote but I will go back and check

Not a direct quote but I hope that you don't feel that I misreprented you too much

tbh i don't care one bit for these dashboard stats and prefer to use my eyes. Paulinho collects the ball from deep an awful lot...yes he also bursts forward i agree and yes there were games where he played slightly forward but he's also been used as a defensive player and that is clear to me.

How anyone can argue that Dembele isn't being deployed as a dm i will never know. Picking it up from deep but not staying there? that's not true.

It's ironic that a lot of posters who didn't like the last manager for whatever reason either personal or because of his supposed lack of managerial prowess are the same ones who are getting the hump because there's a small minority that want the manager out and the rest who are concerned and tell them to "get behind the manager". Smacks a bit of hypocrisy. I think it shows deep down that football fans like/support who they want to support, that's not a dig at Spurs fans because all football fans do it.

no it's not ironic or hypocritical at all. AVB hasn't even been here 1.5 seasons yet which isn't a length of time some people (Milo? myself? Brainelcipse? or whoever else - maybe you could do us the decency of naming some posters btw rather than hiding behind generalizations) believe that it's fair to draw conclusions on his time here - with Redknapp it was different - was here over twice as long and had a settled team. not to mention it was a TOTALLY different set of circumstances you'r clutching at straws trying to prove this point im afraid.

come back to me in 2 and quarter seasons time and see if Im still 'making excuses' for AVB - maybe then you might have valid reason to label us as hypocritical because you sure as hell don't now.

I wish people would stop trying to put words in other people's mouths or try to create or group people in factions.

There were few people on this board who were a more vocal supporter of Redknapp than me. I was aware that he had his limitations, just as this manager has his faults but thought then, as I think now, that the time to appraise a managers performance is at the end of the season.

Short-termism kills football clubs.

I'm sure that's what Levy will do.
But we're not Levy. There's no harm in discussing AVB here. Its only a forum. This has no effect on AVB or the players.

no it's not ironic or hypocritical at all. AVB hasn't even been here 1.5 seasons yet which isn't a length of time some people (Milo, myself, Brainelcipse and whoever else - maybe you could do us the favor of naming some posters btw rather than hiding behind generalizations) believe that it's fair to draw conclusions on his time here - with Redknapp it was different - was here over twice as long and had a settled team.

come back to me in 2 and quarter seasons time and see if are still 'making excuses' for AVB - maybe then you might have valid reason to label us as hypocritical because you sure as hell don't now.

People aren't drawing conclusions, they're commenting on what he's done here.
This isn't their final never to changed verdict on AVB.
This is what they think at the moment.

I think some people defending AVB think this is disrespectful or hurts the club or something.

That goal came in the 30th minute.That is a very short period of time to try and base an argument about our football over the season to date.

One of the things that struck me about the Villa game was how high both team pushed up and how compressed play was. I watched the game on TV and there was a long camera shot in the first half which showed both defences sitting just behind the centre circle.

But unfortunately that 30 minutes IS only too indicative of the way we start games and the principal reason why we have only scored three times in the first half this season.

I'm sure that's what Levy will do.
But we're not Levy. There's no harm in discussing AVB here. Its only a forum. This has no effect on AVB or the players.

I agree. A discussion on AVB would be interesting.

discussion
dɪˈskʌʃ(ə)n/
noun
noun: discussion

the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of exchanging of ideas going on here. Too many people are just digging their heels in, not engaging with what other people are saying and just repeating the same thing over and over again.

But unfortunately that 30 minutes IS only too indicative of the way we start games and the principal reason why we have only scored three times in the first half this season.

Let's not make assumptions. Let's pull together some data from other/whole games and look at and discuss those.

no it's not ironic or hypocritical at all. AVB hasn't even been here 1.5 seasons yet which isn't a length of time some people (Milo? myself? Brainelcipse? or whoever else - maybe you could do us the decency of naming some posters btw rather than hiding behind generalizations) believe that it's fair to draw conclusions on his time here - with Redknapp it was different - was here over twice as long and had a settled team. not to mention it was a TOTALLY different set of circumstances you'r clutching at straws trying to prove this point im afraid.

come back to me in 2 and quarter seasons time and see if Im still 'making excuses' for AVB - maybe then you might have valid reason to label us as hypocritical because you sure as hell don't now.

in 2 and a quarter seasons AVB needs to have made 4th at least once and taken us deep into the CL playing crowd pleasing football

if carlsberg could book mark a post

Not a direct quote but I hope that you don't feel that I misreprented you too much

So it was a case of me stating that i prefer to use my eyes rather then me trying to convince others to trust what they see with their eyes......quite a big difference but it's irrelevant as i'm still in appreciation for the way you went about it (very nas and Jay-z like...something i also try to adopt).

Back