• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

I think the main reason Modric and Bale being lost in successive seasons is brought up so much is because they were both such integral, pivotal players in our last three/four years respectively.

Yes mate, to underscore what you'd said about some criticisms I do have of AVB, I think it's clear that his inexperience leads him to safety-first. And that he is still developing his man-management skills/trust of players at key moments.

It's hard to disagree that he needs to let the players be more expressive at home, and it's hard to disagree that sometimes the players look hamstrung by tactics. I think in the last few weeks there has certainly been a confidence issue within AVB as he has been uncharactaristically nervy and said 'out-bursty' with regards to first the fans and then the Lloris issue.

I personally believe he will overcome this phase and that we will start to see a more expansive approach to home games especially. I base this feeling on the fact that he has come a long way in a short amount of time (counting his time at Chelski) and that he is a very, very good manager who is smart enough to know that learning is the key to advancing. I firmly believe that his has been a large tool-box to assemble and that he is still learning who's got what and when. Once finalized, I think we will fight on many fronts. For the record, if we win a trophy such as the UEFA this season, I will be very satisfied.

One thing which must be said is that the shadow of Harry still looms large for some people, and that for that reason alone, AVB will never ever have the time Harry would've got. I don't think saying this is controversial or ****-stirry…I think if we're honest, it's fact.

And I have to say once more (and most certainly a general point here not aimed at anyone specifically) the whole 'AVB out' thread is absolutely ludicrous IMO.

Of course they were important but Arsenal lose players almost every season but it doesn't impact them too much. Let's be fair, AVB spent a fair bit of money last season too even if he didn't get his first choice in every position.

Re: AVB out, agreed its stupid.

With regards to Harry, you're right about that. No point debating why he was sacked anymore as we all know the various reasons. Gutterboy said we'd improve as we had a far better manager. We finished 5th last season which wasn't bad but wasn't anything special either, it was about par I'd say.

Re: AVB On Reals Madrid's Short List For New Manager

Because that is what happened last season. Everyone pointed to Scum's winning run which was undeniably good for them, but didn't put enough emphasis on the fact that WE threw points away in the last 10 games.

Or could it possibly be that your opinion is just that an opinion and because someone doesn't share it with you it doesn't mean they are ignoring problems or living in blind faith?

I edited my previous post, in case you missed it.

Of course they were important but Arsenal lose players almost every season but it doesn't impact them too much. Let's be fair, AVB spent a fair bit of money last season too even if he didn't get his first choice in every position.

With regards to Harry, you're right about that. No point debating why he was sacked anymore as we all know the various reasons. Gutterboy said we'd improve as we had a far better manager. We finished 5th last season which wasn't bad but wasn't anything special either, it was about par I'd say.

It did last season after they lost RVP. They had a poor start to the season, were struggling to bed in new players, getting booed off the pitch and some fans were calling for Wenger's head.

It did last season after they lost RVP. They had a poor start to the season, were struggling to bed in new players, getting booed off the pitch and some fans were calling for Wenger's head.

****. that sounds familiar.

I think this is an interesting side discussion mate. It actually brings into light two very different philosophies/ways of working…Wenger does, for a start, have the experience and pedigree on his side to ride out those moments PLUS he is in sole charge of all incomings and sales. Arsenal is his club, not anyone elses, indeed, had he not started to take on board that he needed to let Bould do his job, they might still be a soft centre. AVB is a lot younger, a lot more inexperienced and works with a DOF system as implemented by Levy. By choice for sure, no arguing that as if he didn't like it he could walk. But I do think that comparisons with the goons need a little closer analysis.

Absolutely agree he spent a fair bit of money, but again, I think it's far, far too early to say he's a busted flush. Again, I know I speak as someone who believes in him and his 'project' (arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!)...Just IMO…I would agree that it was about par last season, though in context I'd say what he did was really very very good for a first season.

On a side note, I really wish he and Ade could resolve their differences…I do not see it happening sadly.

****. that sounds familiar.

It turned out ok though because the manager had embedded a system that meant that they could carry on where the left off, once the new players had settled.

It turned out ok though because the manager had embedded a system that meant that they could carry on where the left off, once the new players had settled.

it doesnt take long to embed a system. For example in just a few weeks Sunderland are already showing signs of how Poyet likes his teams to play, no pre season, no year in charge. It can be done. Plus Sunderland signed a raft of new players in the summer.

it doesnt take long to embed a system. For example in just a few weeks Sunderland are already showing signs of how Poyet likes his teams to play, no pre season, no year in charge. It can be done. Plus Sunderland signed a raft of new players in the summer.

i thought they looked disastrous against Hull, although they had 9 men.

They won a derby, although were second best, but hey anyone can win a derby, form goes out the window and they beat a Emirates Marketing Project team with an awful away record, the last 4 seasons has seen Sunderland beat City 1-0 at home. I think it's a little too early to see if Poyet has his men playing some sort of style.

I think the main reason Modric and Bale being lost in successive seasons is brought up so much is because they were both such integral, pivotal players in our last three/four years respectively.

Yes mate, to underscore what you'd said about some criticisms I do have of AVB, I think it's clear that his inexperience leads him to safety-first. And that he is still developing his man-management skills/trust of players at key moments.

It's hard to disagree that he needs to let the players be more expressive at home, and it's hard to disagree that sometimes the players look hamstrung by tactics. I think in the last few weeks there has certainly been a confidence issue within AVB as he has been uncharactaristically nervy and said 'out-bursty' with regards to first the fans and then the Lloris issue.

I personally believe he will overcome this phase and that we will start to see a more expansive approach to home games especially. I base this feeling on the fact that he has come a long way in a short amount of time (counting his time at Chelski) and that he is a very, very good manager who is smart enough to know that learning is the key to advancing. I firmly believe that his has been a large tool-box to assemble and that he is still learning who's got what and when. Once finalized, I think we will fight on many fronts. For the record, if we win a trophy such as the UEFA this season, I will be very satisfied.

One thing which must be said is that the shadow of Harry still looms large for some people, and that for that reason alone, AVB will never ever have the time Harry would've got. I don't think saying this is controversial or ****-stirry…I think if we're honest, it's fact.

And I have to say once more (and most certainly a general point here not aimed at anyone specifically) the whole 'AVB out' thread is absolutely ludicrous IMO.

Glad to see you are (at last) becoming a bit more balanced in your views on AVB, Steff. ;)

I think we all can agree that improvement is required. BTW, I agree the AVB out thread is far too premature, but I just wish I had your (and others) unshakeable confidence that things WILL get better. I recall the old adage:

Smile and be happy, things could be worse,

So I smiled and was happy, and indeed things did get worse !

Fingers crossed time.

i thought they looked disastrous against Hull, although they had 9 men.

They won a derby, although were second best, but hey anyone can win a derby, form goes out the window and they beat a Emirates Marketing Project team with an awful away record, the last 4 seasons has seen Sunderland beat City 1-0 at home. I think it's a little too early to see if Poyet has his men playing some sort of style.

each week it shows his methods are being applied, his philosophy of how he wants his team to play. The passing from the back, using the whole pitch, movement off the ball. Of course in just a few weeks its not perfected, but still the signs of it coming together are visible. Like i said, in a couple of weeks and with lots of new players to the club that he personally did not sign.

im not saying necessarily that his way of playing is the right way, just pointing out that its not taking long to implement and embed his system/style

each week it shows his methods are being applied, his philosophy of how he wants his team to play. The passing from the back, using the whole pitch, movement off the ball. Of course in just a few weeks its not perfected, but still the signs of it coming together are visible. Like i said, in a couple of weeks and with lots of new players to the club that he personally did not sign.

im not saying necessarily that his way of playing is the right way, just pointing out that its not taking long to implement and embed his system/style

Or it could be a dead cat bounce

It is too early to tell with Poyet. Yes, they have improved, as many teams do with a new head coach/manager, but let's see how long their new found form lasts before this is used as a coherent argument.

But if you're using the whole 'passing from the back' as a way of Sunderland showing signs of how Poyet likes his teams to play as some indicator that its taken them a week and it has taken us over a year to see change etc then that's stupid as I saw changes in the way we play in AVBs very first game in charge. The high line for example pressing high up etc.

But if you're using the whole 'passing from the back' as a way of Sunderland showing signs of how Poyet likes his teams to play as some indicator that its taken them a week and it has taken us over a year to see change etc then that's stupid as I saw changes in the way we play in AVBs very first game in charge. The high line for example pressing high up etc.

actually, thats my point......im not sure there is anything different to come from AVB. What we have seen is exactly how how he wants us to play.

Or could it possibly be that your opinion is just that an opinion and because someone doesn't share it with you it doesn't mean they are ignoring problems or living in blind faith?

I edited my previous post, in case you missed it.

I must have missed it then. Most of the posts at the end of last season were along the lines of we couldn't have done much more, Woolwich were unstoppable etc.

Answers in bold.

It's more than that? Ok, like what? I don't see the examples here...
I thought i had mentioned something to be honest maybe i didnt

i think its a preferred style.
I think he prefers a slow paced build
I think its instruction given to players to remain calm and disciplined and not to expose themselves to much to early
I think its a motto of play safe and find and opening and risk more later
i think its a selection and transfer policy problem. The way we play is how he wants us to play RIGHT NOW.
I think there is a need to win the midfield battle with force and over powering as opposed to finese
I think also that he actively refuses to over commit men forward unless he needs to. that there is a choice
I also think on a more obvious point that players dont actively, aggressively and progressively occupy attacking zones, open up passing lanes going forward and dont put attacking moves which enourcages and requires trust and a certain level of skill to be able to do
I also dont think the players are willing to be adventurous as much as they can be under AVB
For some reason the pressing seems to have waned a little bit. worrying to say the least as i thought AVB took pride in this
I dont think Soldado is singing from the same hymn sheet as the rest of the team...where the team is playing slow build up play and trying to draw out the opposition solly keeps making runs behind the opposition as if his team mates are the ones in Valencia....i nearly passed out when defoe came on and then out o nowhere solly dropped deep to pick up the ball and we forged a move together....:eek:
Soldado moves but who supplies? if that doesnt work you HAVE to get involved. You cant play one game that needs cazorla and rosicky and Wheelchair and ramsey..with capoue, sandro , dembele and paulinho...its just dumb
I also think we need to switch up our attacking avenues , we are getting too predictable
Something else i have noticed to be happening.....Eriksen seems to be caught in no mans land...he is a playmaker that doesnt drop deep to start moves and take sudden bursts or encourage paulinho on...but he plays in the hole more but at the same time doesnt really get close to soldado...and on top of that he cant seem to feed soldado..i would assume because he probably needs sandro to deliver trhe ball to him..which is fine.....and actually would work but sandro isnt carrick. Capoue appears to be able to provide this pass but he is injured , verts can but he is at left back...having said that it isnt enough that he relies on these people...he should go and pick that **** up from the goalies hands and start things and let the people wandering into the hole be the invereted wingers if necessary. I dont think eriksen is stupid so it must be instructions that he play where he plays with the rest of the team mates doing what they currently do
The pressing things just to mention again is a bit of a worry for me

You say that what we are lacking are obvious things that any human being save for people in denial can see.

But you think AVB is fine with it and it's a stylistic choice? I don't get it. If it's that obvious that it's a big problem why wouldn't AVB see it and work towards fixing it? Seems like a massive assumption has to be made about AVB being outright incompetent (or in denial, or not a human being) for this to hold.

there is a bit of a language barrier between you and i i think. i say there are obvious issues BUT avb is fine with it as its part of this style right now. if he is fine with it how is it possible that he doesnt see it? you have said here
why wouldn't AVB see it
i never said he wouldnt see it. on the contrary i think AVB knows what the problems are and i think he knows how to fix it, i just dont think fixing is what he wants to do right now because it could counter what he DOES want to do on the pitch if you get my drift. For instance if a team plays a certain way despite the need to switch up to suit opposition it is quite possible that they play that way because that is how they want to play irrespective of what they need to do.

A team that likes to attack will concede goals, the problem is probably that they concede goals due to overcommitting players and getting caught on the counter or due to players getting pulled out of position in transition etc. they can fix that by being more organised, more disciplined , more structured etc, but then that could take away from their attacking potency

right now i think we are playing initially how AVB wants us to play.....its when we chase a goal that we look stronger at home...or when we are away and actively play a sparring session with a team on their ground cause that team wants to have a go..essentially thy come for is and create more space for us to work with and we focus on bringing them out more and playing with the space available.

thing is when at home we could if we wanted to look to bury teams and commit players in there...but we dont and i think this is a style choice and a tempo one

As to your second point, I think that's fine. But who isn't this the same point as the point above about our lacking attacking purpose/fluidity? Isn't that what has been lacking in these games? It's not like we've been outplayed, it's mainly that we've struggled to break them down.

no it looks like we are carrying boulders on our shoulders while walking a tight rope made of a spider web. we struggle to break down teams for reasons that can be overcome. not to mention that the other teams seem to be able to do it to us when they turn up the heat a little bit

when a team has a game plan , and their game plan gets executed to the detriment of yours, i would say that you are out played or at the very least you are matched.

if a team decides to stifle us and then hit us on the counter when they want. ..if they decide to up the pressure and play when they want and then retreat when the time is needed and conceed ground then they have executed their plan and strategy perfectly and thus all the possession % and chances in the world wont negate the fact that they came here to do what they did

hull, west ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine have all had a good time here, they are no supposed to..its supposed to be a miserable day at the office.....and quite frankly i wouldnt take pride in any of those games save for the fact we competed in them

Which teams that we should be better than have "brushed us over"? Seriously, we must have been watching different games.

we have been watching different games, "brushed us over" might be harsh sounding to be fair...but i dont think any of those teams were worried about is once they knew what they were up against and what they had to do.

we will have to agree to disagree on that one

Well, I think that having a lot of new players to integrate is a challenge for any team and that consistent attacking fluidity/purpose (one of the hardest things ins football) might take time in circumstances like that. And in a league like the Premier League that is very tight and competitive there are a lot of teams capable of making games fairly close when the bigger teams isn't at their best.

yet most of the guys playing were here last year. they should be more fluid and cohesive IMO..its not like we chucked all 7 players in all the time from the start....it is tight but i am not focusing on points or results ...more on how we go about things and us not being at our best IMO shouldnt be a persistent thing because we bought 7 new top class players that all dont play regularly anyway. of course its a hindrance and it makes things difficult but its not nearly enough of a reason to look impotent out there.

IN that case , we should be looking forward to playing teams with loads of new players then...? at the same time we shouldnt be looking to buy a lot of new players ourselves even if they are better than what we have..it would continuously **** up our seasons for ever more

having said that chemistry will make us better but we should be better out there right now anyway than we have been , simple as that. its just not good enough whats happening out there

we bought 7 top class players for an obscene sum total, and this is a good reason to have less goals and less attacking onus than 3/4 of the league.

its crazy to me

I'm assuming that our playing style is in development. I'm assuming this is not the end game and that AVB is aware of most of our shortcomings and is working towards correcting those. He could have set out playing the style he wanted at the end of the development and waited for things to click into place, he tried something like that at Chelsea. I'm glad he didn't here.

agree with this

I agree that we are improving, but I accept that these things take time. And as I think a lot of the changes in mentality will require player changes it makes sense to me that part of this is also that the new leaders coming in must be given time to settle into their roles as leaders in the team. We all remember how Parker supposedly changed the mentality of the dressing room upon arrival, yet when the going got tough he wasn't able to change our fortunes. I've stopped looking for an individual player to "lead our charge", we need a squad with many strong characters and I think we're in the process of assembling that squad.

agree with this too, but parker never stopped being the fighter and when things were not working that was down to form, confidence and bad luck and most importantly HArry courting England. that team had some mental steel but it just want clicking.

i actually think we have quite a few winners now, enough so that the menatlity to fight , win and compete is there in most of the squad so that isnt really an issue i dont think

in 18 months a strong mindset and spirit should be greeting you at the door and your style needs to be coming through in games. people need to reflect their manager if they can

the funny thing is that as bad as united started i have no doubt they will fight their way back mainly cause they have winners in their team and their manager has a winning fight till you die attitude which i admire

You don't have to avoid it on my account, but if you agree that it's unfair probably it's better to look for other comparisons?

moyes, martinez, laudrup,rodgers? how about those?

I'm not saying that we can't compare, I'm just asking for a bit of perspecive and an acceptance that showing that AVB is not as good as the very best around (at least at this point) is a very high bar to set and accordingly not the most relevant comparison. (Again, not aimed specifically at you).

sometimes you need an absolute to highlight perceived faults in an discussion......thats where these comaprisons come in

I must have missed it then. Most of the posts at the end of last season were along the lines of we couldn't have done much more, Woolwich were unstoppable etc.

what's your point exactly?

i don't see what's unreasonable about that opinion - Arsenal had the best form in the League from their defeat till the end of the season - we also had great form, picking up more points in the second half of the season than the first - are you going to hold it against management that we didn't replicate title winning form in the second half of his first season? now that is unreasonable IMHO

i don't see what's unreasonable about that opinion - Arsenal had the best form in the League from their defeat till the end of the season - we also had great form, picking up more points in the second half of the season than the first - are you going to hold it against management that we didn't replicate title winning form in the second half of his first season? now that is unreasonable IMHO

We got 55 points in our final 26 matches last season. Over 38 matches that kind of form would have got us 80 points. Pretty close to title winning form. Not much we can do about Arsenal going 16 games undefeated, picking up 39 points.

We got 55 points in our final 26 matches last season. Over 38 matches that kind of form would have got us 80 points. Pretty close to title winning form. Not much we can do about Arsenal going 16 games undefeated, picking up 39 points.

blasphemy. We could have won all of our remaining games and people would still complain about something.

Great form? You mean losing at home to Fulham and drawing at home to Everton? Drawing away to Wigan? Spin it however you want, but we let a 7 point lead slip. Emirates Marketing Project were 8 points behind United going into the few 10 games or so the year they won the title. Now City did brilliantly to make up the difference, but United still threw it away.

You said earlier that people aren't making excuses for him and not ignoring some of our weaknesses, but I'm still yet to see you give your reasoning as to why the following things are/aren't happening:

Lamela not playing in the league, even after good performances.

Our attack looking so weak.

Not playing to Soldado's strengths.

Scoring so few goals at home in over a season's worth of home games now.

Back