• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

People are fixated by results, not performances unfortunately. Our pattern of play, our tactics and the way we executed them were similar both half of the seasons

First half of the season we played well and got the rub of the green. So we ended up with this fantastic sequence of results that weren't fully deserved. The opposite came into play the second half of the season. That's why things even out over the course of the season. We finished 4th, which was just about right for us over the course of the season.

The biggest mistake we made last year we are still doing this year, but I expect AVB to rectify it in January. We need someone else who is a natural right sided player in case Lennon gets injured. When Lennon got injured last season, we had to move players around the entire team to accomodate. Ridiculous for a club of our size not to have a back up right sided player and I am still angry at Redknapp/Levy for not addressing that.

No they weren't. 1st half of the season was a consistent 4411 with much of the same players, 2nd half of the season we threw that out of the window and kept playing a combo of Ade and Defoe/Saha up top, we went back to 4411 in the final few weeks and managed to claw our way back into top 3 contention but a 1-1 draw at Villa blew it for us.

No they weren't. 1st half of the season was a consistent 4411 with much of the same players, 2nd half of the season we threw that out of the window and kept playing a combo of Ade and Defoe/Saha up top, we went back to 4411 in the final few weeks and managed to claw our way back into top 3 contention but a 1-1 draw at Villa blew it for us.

OK, by tactics I don't mean formation. That to me, is formation. But you're right, due to Lennon's injury we did end up playing VDV out of position a couple of times, although even Redknapp claims we played VDV "up top". And then when it was realised that wasn't working we switched Bale to the right which completely unbalanced us. But in terms of patient possession football in the final third, we were exactly the same. But we lacked the cutting edge, and we also did miss a load of easy chances. Or rather Ade did.

OK, by tactics I don't mean formation. That to me, is formation. But you're right, due to Lennon's injury we did end up playing VDV out of position a couple of times, although even Redknapp claims we played VDV "up top". And then when it was realised that wasn't working we switched Bale to the right which completely unbalanced us. But in terms of patient possession football in the final third, we were exactly the same. But we lacked the cutting edge, and we also did miss a load of easy chances. Or rather Ade did.[/QUOTE]

Again with the Ade bashing. I suppose you would rather we still had Crouch?

Today's win against Swansea puts AVB back up to a 53% win record in League matches - the best record of any Spurs manager since the club joined the Football League in 1908.

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2012

I think this is why some people dislike stats so much. Great job you do on here Statto would hate for you to take that the wrong way but its far too early to be compiling that kinda stat no?

I think this is why some people dislike stats so much. Great job you do on here Statto would hate for you to take that the wrong way but its far too early to be compiling that kinda stat no?

It's never to early to compile a stats.

However it might be too late for that interpretation of that stat.

He has the best record of any spurs manager yes, but due to the limited time he is not going to be the best spurs manager for at least another 3-4 seasons for me.

It's never to early to compile a stats.

However it might be too late for that interpretation of that stat.

He has the best record of any spurs manager yes, but due to the limited time he is not going to be the best spurs manager for at least another 3-4 seasons for me.

Even if he has a 53% in 3-4 unless he's won the double Bill Nicholson will still be the number one.

Even if he has a 53% in 3-4 unless he's won the double Bill Nicholson will still be the number one.

In your head he might be.

That however is an opinion based assessment so others might have a different view.

Until i've seen the 3-4 seasons, i ain't going either way.

In your head he might be.

That however is an opinion based assessment so others might have a different view.

Until i've seen the 3-4 seasons, i ain't going either way.

Do you seriously think AVB could ever be compared to Bill Nicholson if he doesn't win any trophies yet has a win percentage of 53% in 3/4 years? Just asking.

Do you seriously think AVB could ever be compared to Bill Nicholson if he doesn't win any trophies yet has a win percentage of 53% in 3/4 years? Just asking.

You've changed your tune..

Where has no trophies suddenly come from?

You said unless he's won the double. That's different from no trophies. In fact he could win four trophies in 4 seasons without doing the double.

You've changed your tune..

Where has no trophies suddenly come from?

You said unless he's won the double. That's different from no trophies. In fact he could win four trophies in 4 seasons without doing the double.

I'm asking no trophies and a 53% win percentage. I'm curious.

Well you can continue being curious. I cba with how often you're moving the goalposts.

Are you seriously refusing to answer a question? I'm not moving any goalposts. Forget about everything we've said and just answer the question.

Do you think AVB will be considered a better manager than Nicholson if in 3-4 years time he still has a 53% win percentage yet no trophies?

After the Everton game I expected blood on GG's walls but most posters took the view that it was a reasonable performance and not AVB's fault.
Bouncebackablility displayed and a mark of a good manager to get a result today. Green shoots of a "great" manager appearing?

After the Everton game I expected blood on GG's walls but most posters took the view that it was a reasonable performance and not AVB's fault.
Bouncebackablility displayed and a mark of a good manager to get a result today. Green shoots of a "great" manager appearing?

Funny you should say this...I said to my mate after the final whistle that the difference in LEVEL of performance between this week and last week was one individual mistake (note, different STYLES? Absolutely. But the same LEVEL of consistency and application to the game at hand). The last two weeks have proven to me just how impatient some supporters are and just how narrow the margins are.

Funny you should say this...I said to my mate after the final whistle that the difference in LEVEL of performance between this week and last week was one individual mistake (note, different STYLES? Absolutely. But the same LEVEL of consistency and application to the game at hand). The last two weeks have proven to me just how impatient some supporters are and just how narrow the margins are.

Goes back to what the reaction would have been had the last 90 seconds not happened against Everton. All of us would have been very pleased with three points at Goodison Park, would have been a fabulous result and the players and management would have been praised. Sadly the 90 seconds did happen and with football being a results business all that is noticed too often is that we lost and consequently the previous 88 minutes are instantly forgotten and deemed irrelevant, after all we didn't win.

I can see an argument for both sides of the coin there. If we play magically well each game and yet lose the games then no-one is going to lavish us with praise or awards and yet the players can't be too heavily criticised if we are playing superbly but losing because of bad luck... hmm

Sorry Steff. Cant agree with you that today and last week were the same kind of performance.

I thought we were poor at Everton and never controlled the midfield, whereas today we were in control of the midfield virtually all game. We created diddly squat at Everton. We flukily took the lead by a deflection and really only had one other shot of note all game (Sigs that hit the bar). Everton created loads and it was always a question of when and not if we were going to let in a goal. Today, I thought we looked comfortable, created a brickload of chances, got in behind the defence many times (williams was brilliant at blocking) and looked comfortable for the win.

Two completely different levels of performance imo.

Am I the only one who thought we didnt play well?

Our attacking play is still a bit ropey well fairly ropey. Our defending today was very good and pressing was excellent - although the last couple of minutes Lloris contributed massively.

It is our attacking play that still concerns me particularly at home. Devoid of creativity. You can say yeah but Bale isnt fit - well even when he was fit we werent creative enough.

Back