• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

That's a good point. We were given a lifeline by Norwich who drew with Arsenal the day before. Redknapp taking off VDV and bringing on Parker still infuriates me! Then again, you can't legislate for a clown like Danny Rose getting sent off for a brainless tackle. You've got to have some sympathy for Redknapp in that regard, just as I felt sorry for AVB when Adebayor got sent off in the NLD, we were in control of the game until he got the red card.

It was a ridiculous challenge by Rose I agree, and yes, I see a mitigation there. But they were such a poor side Villa, that even with 10 men we should've won. I always believed his Parker sub was designed to get Kaboul forward as a presence, but even there, for me, Livermore would've been the better option. Fully fit and more likely to play a forward pass than Scotty. It was desperate. yes, I was at both the matches you mention and each haunt me for different reasons...

Come on, taking your best players off when you're narrowly winning away at Everton is different from some resting players for Maribor at home.

One of our best players who had touched the ball 3 times in the previous 30 minutes. At least with Falque coming on we had 11 players.

One of our best players who had touched the ball 3 times in the previous 30 minutes. At least with Falque coming on we had 11 players.

You're referring to Defoe? He's still our biggest goal threat. Adebayor was just as bad.

I know AVB has said he wants to win the Europa, but you don't feel he could have rested players a bit more in that time?

No, not a great deal. I think Sigurdsson could've played more, that's about it. We barely got through the group with more or less our best 11 in each game so I'm not sure we'd have gotten through had we rested most of them.

You can add Emirates Marketing Project away to that list (of games we deserved to win) as well. We deserved 3pts that day and came back with nothing. It really was an amazingly bricky run of results considering the quality of our performances at the time.
That is the opposite of the truth. We were bashed up 2nd half and got a flukey goal to get back in the game. City panicked and we got level. We should/could have won but we did not deserve to win. We should not have lost but the best team on the day won.
If you consider we were putting in quality performances latter half of the season then I would suggest you are in a minority.

That is the opposite of the truth. We were bashed up 2nd half and got a flukey goal to get back in the game. City panicked and we got level. We should/could have won but we did not deserve to win. We should not have lost but the best team on the day won.
If you consider we were putting in quality performances latter half of the season then I would suggest you are in a minority.

I agree with this. Whilst we can look back at our comeback from two goals down and also lament Defoe's late miss (was that Bale or Defoe's fualt?8-[) if we're honest it would have been a sweet-tasting travesty had we won.

And they won with a penalty scored by a player who should have never been on the pitch to a) win the penalty, and b) take the penalty. Draw would have been the fairest result. Considering they were the home team, they didn't exactly batter us, and WE had the best chance of the game.

I like this response to Everton Defeat from AVB. Really hope he can turn around our form and bring in a system that complements our talented squad.

http://tottenhamlive.com/news/625-villas-boas-everton-swansea-threat.html

that interview is very insightful and it looks like there are more squad changes to come.
glad to see that he's really accomodated the existing squad and still able to drive them to 4th place.
but he talks in some detail about higher standards and consistency...something that I look forward to...with the right players AVB could really put Spurs up there with the best.

It was a ridiculous challenge by Rose I agree, and yes, I see a mitigation there. But they were such a poor side Villa, that even with 10 men we should've won. I always believed his Parker sub was designed to get Kaboul forward as a presence, but even there, for me, Livermore would've been the better option. Fully fit and more likely to play a forward pass than Scotty. It was desperate. yes, I was at both the matches you mention and each haunt me for different reasons...

In isolation, an away draw against Villa was a solid result. Just like it would be this season.

People are fixated by results, not performances unfortunately. Our pattern of play, our tactics and the way we executed them were similar both half of the seasons

First half of the season we played well and got the rub of the green. So we ended up with this fantastic sequence of results that weren't fully deserved. The opposite came into play the second half of the season. That's why things even out over the course of the season. We finished 4th, which was just about right for us over the course of the season.

The biggest mistake we made last year we are still doing this year, but I expect AVB to rectify it in January. We need someone else who is a natural right sided player in case Lennon gets injured. When Lennon got injured last season, we had to move players around the entire team to accomodate. Ridiculous for a club of our size not to have a back up right sided player and I am still angry at Redknapp/Levy for not addressing that.

People are fixated by results, not performances unfortunately. Our pattern of play, our tactics and the way we executed them were similar both half of the seasons

First half of the season we played well and got the rub of the green. So we ended up with this fantastic sequence of results that weren't fully deserved. The opposite came into play the second half of the season. That's why things even out over the course of the season. We finished 4th, which was just about right for us over the course of the season.

The biggest mistake we made last year we are still doing this year, but I expect AVB to rectify it in January. We need someone else who is a natural right sided player in case Lennon gets injured. When Lennon got injured last season, we had to move players around the entire team to accomodate. Ridiculous for a club of our size not to have a back up right sided player and I am still angry at Redknapp/Levy for not addressing that.

We were playing Bale on the right and Modric on the left because we had no right sided cover for Lennon, madness!! You're right, we need to sort that out and also get a creative midfielder.

that interview is very insightful and it looks like there are more squad changes to come.
glad to see that he's really accomodated the existing squad and still able to drive them to 4th place.
but he talks in some detail about higher standards and consistency...something that I look forward to...with the right players AVB could really put Spurs up there with the best.

One thing I have loved about AVB so far is how little squad rotation he has employed and he tends to play what he feels is his strongest XI. Long may that continue!

We were playing Bale on the right and Modric on the left because we had no right sided cover for Lennon, madness!! You're right, we need to sort that out and also get a creative midfielder.

And it was during that period that we lost momentum. We still dominated possession like earlier in the season and we were still defensively very solid, but we stopped creating clear chances. And the ones we did create Ade completely lost his shooting boots from the first half of the season.

I think it's nailed on that AVB will replace Lennon in the next two transfer windows, because he needs an inside forward to accomodate his favourite formation and Lennon simply doesn't fit long term in that plan. That will mean we'll have Lennon and a new player who play right side of midfield and about bloody time too.

Villa were especially bad last season. We managed a win there the season before again with 10 men, and they were a better side back then.

Isolated games. I don't think we played that badly against Villa, and we probably deserved the 3pts. But we aren't going to win every single match, and the 10pts from the last possible 12pts was a good return. Of course it helped that we had easy fixtures the last 4 games of the season.

One thing I have loved about AVB so far is how little squad rotation he has employed and he tends to play what he feels is his strongest XI. Long may that continue!

If you mean in the league then our previous manager did the same and if previous seasons are anything to go by then we'll run out of steam in February. Add the fact that most of first eleven under AVB have also been playing in Europe we're going to need to rotate the squad over the next few months. Fortunately with Parker, Ekotto and Kaboul coming back the squad size is looking a little healthier.

If you mean in the league then our previous manager did the same and if previous seasons are anything to go by then we'll run out of steam in February. Add the fact that most of first eleven under AVB have also been playing in Europe we're going to need to rotate the squad over the next few months. Fortunately with Parker, Ekotto and Kaboul coming back the squad size is looking a little healthier.

We won't run out of steam in February. We didn't last season, we run out of luck and Lennon got injured. Look at the last four games to demonstrate the players weren't tired. The whole tired thing is just a convenient fan excuse to explain poor second half of the season form. Ronaldo and Messi don't get tired and they play far more games than our boys. The teams finishing above us don't get tired and their players play far more games than our boys. We will be fine playing our strongest XI every single game, and AVB knows that. Players will pick up suspension, injuries etc. that will give them enforced rest anyway plus they'll be allowed to take a couple of days off of training (and for a professional athlete two days complete rest is all they need to be back up to tip top condition injuries aside).

Back