• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers! No name on there from what I can see so shouldn't be a problem. Just our cobblers we need to worry about then!

Cheers! No name on there from what I can see so shouldn't be a problem. Just our cobblers we need to worry about then!

I would not worry about it, we go to all the away games in Europe and we swap our tickets when one of us is unable to go and we have never had a problem.

I would not worry about it, we go to all the away games in Europe and we swap our tickets when one of us is unable to go and we have never had a problem.

How do you find the police on these away day trips? I use to go regularly to away league games in the 60's but got fed up being treated like a prison of war by local cops and have little trust in european forces.

How do you find the police on these away day trips? I use to go regularly to away league games in the 60's but got fed up being treated like a prison of war by local cops and have little trust in european forces.

Its a walk in the park now compered to the bad old days, mind you I am a lot older now so maybe that has something to do with it.

Its a walk in the park now compered to the bad old days, mind you I am a lot older now so maybe that has something to do with it.
Thanks, my son and oldest grandson keep on about going to an away european game but really don't fancy eastern europe and would prefer to drive.

Fiorentina last year was a bit of a pain in the arse as Feyenoord had caused some trouble in Rome the day before so we bore the brunt of it - had to show matching ID to get in the ground with a ticket as well. May not be the case this time around but worth keeping in mind

Anyone else hoping we field a weakened side for this one?

Near the start of the season I remember saying we should focus on the Europa League. I didn't think we had much of a chance of top four and MIlo made a good point about how it only takes one mistake to fall out of Europe whereas you can be consistent with the odd mistake or two in the league and come out fine. Now we're actually 2nd in the league b ut have some hard games coming up...

The Europa League isn't a big tournament that it used to be when it was the UEFA Cup in pre-premier league days. It's a team that has Champions League drop outs who don't really want to be there. The fact is you get a Champions League place for winning it which is probably a much bigger prize than the trophy itsself.

I would like us to focus on the league and the bigger tournament which is the FA Cup. If we end up reaching the later rounds of the Europa only to fall out and fatigue leads to us dropping out of the top four than I'd say not playing our kids was a massive mistake...

Near the start of the season I remember saying we should focus on the Europa League. I didn't think we had much of a chance of top four and MIlo made a good point about how it only takes one mistake to fall out of Europe whereas you can be consistent with the odd mistake or two in the league and come out fine. Now we're actually 2nd in the league b ut have some hard games coming up...

The Europa League isn't a big tournament that it used to be when it was the UEFA Cup in pre-premier league days. It's a team that has Champions League drop outs who don't really want to be there. The fact is you get a Champions League place for winning it which is probably a much bigger prize than the trophy itsself.

I would like us to focus on the league and the bigger tournament which is the FA Cup. If we end up reaching the later rounds of the Europa only to fall out and fatigue leads to us dropping out of the top four than I'd say not playing our kids was a massive mistake...
funny one this, it's difficult to see us not qualify through the league. But on the other the way we are playing and with our tails up, plus a pretty strong squad I say try and win every game, I need TP for my bunghole!

I would be happy with a handful of changes...

Full backs we rotate a lot anyway these days, perhaps one of the central midfielders (Dembele has struggled with congested fixture lists in the past), a couple out of the front 4.

Something along the lines of: Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Wimmer, Rose, Dier, Bentaleb, Lamela, Eriksen, Son, Chadli would be a really strong team. But at the same time we could change quite a few for the Palace game and still put out a great team.

It's an awkward one really as I want us to have a real go at the Europa but we do have two legs to play with and even if we say lost 3-1 out there, we are at home and can play full strength in the second leg and I would back us to progress with a packed WHL behind us. I think the FA cup game should take priority given that we are a couple wins away from a semi final berth and obviously closer to glory in that than the Europa currently.

I would probably go with Vorm, Davies, Wimmer, Dier, Trippier, Bentaleb, Carroll, Chadli, Mason, Lamela, Son in the first leg and see where we are. I don't see that side being tanked at all, they will be competitive but it allows Lloris, Alderweireld, Dembele, Alli and Kane to all rest

It's an awkward one really as I want us to have a real go at the Europa but we do have two legs to play with and even if we say lost 3-1 out there, we are at home and can play full strength in the second leg and I would back us to progress with a packed WHL behind us. I think the FA cup game should take priority given that we are a couple wins away from a semi final berth and obviously closer to glory in that than the Europa currently.

I would probably go with Vorm, Davies, Wimmer, Dier, Trippier, Bentaleb, Carroll, Chadli, Mason, Lamela, Son in the first leg and see where we are. I don't see that side being tanked at all, they will be competitive but it allows Lloris, Alderweireld, Dembele, Alli and Kane to all rest

I don't think either cup will take priority over the other at this point. The league should continue to be our primary focus, with some changes for cup games.

This is the last FA-cup round with a break in the league schedule for the cup, no? 3 cup games in a row followed by the Swansea game. I suppose it would make some sense to play our full strength team in the City, Palace and Swansea game and make changes for the two Fiorentina games. But I think it's more likely that we'll see moderate rotation for each of the 3 cup games with of course full strength teams for the City and Swansea games.

Not really, I have no problem with a couple of changes ( which we will do) but I will be disappointed to travel all the way there and see a weak side.

We'll put out our strongest side away I think as we only have an FA cup game afterwards.

Consider, too, that Fiorentina have their own domestic concerns. They currently sit third, the last CL qualifying spot in Italy, with no chance of moving up, but have Inter and Roma trailing by one or two points. They may not be inclined to play their strongest 11.

They host Inter before playing the first leg, play away to respectable Atalanta between legs, then host current league leaders Napoli after visiting WHL. That's two crucial league games at home, plus an away game at an opponent they must take a win from.

We've got a slightly easier set of circumstances to cope with. The Emirates Marketing Project game precedes the first leg, where the 'A' team will play. I think the key for the players chosen to travel will be to come back from Florence with nothing worse than a one goal deficit. Defend deep, nick a goal on the counter and defend like Trojans. Job done.

Then we're playing either at home or in London for two weeks.

We can afford to give all the cup games a decent go for now. We have a good group of players who all need and want playing time. We want everyone match sharp and ready to fit in wherever and whenever best suited. It keeps up our form and sets motivation at a high level, and that's really important with a young squad.

Also, by winning this round of Europa League, we would pretty much ensure we were seeded by UEFA within the top 20 clubs, so we would go into the second pot during next year's CL draw. If we do beat Fiorentina, there's reason to believe we'd be in decent shape to have a good go in the following round. Deal with that later.

Don't forget the morale factor. Going through keeps momentum which at present is more important than tiredness imo. If we keep motoring the players will be well up for every game, not feeling tired

I'd like to see us rest a couple for the Fiorentina game in order to keep some gas in the tank for the run-in, but Poch will likely play our strongest 11.

Personally I wouldn't start anyone in more than 2 of the 3 Fiorentina/Palace/Fiorentina games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back