• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
they just don't do greats like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, Socrates, garincha - maybe it's me being an old fart, haha
Garrincha, now that was a player! Better than Pelé, but way too much drinking and off the field stuff. He could have been the legend against which all other players would be measured if he was half the professional Pelé was. Didn't help that he was a bit dimwitted and taken advantage of. In the 60+ games he and Pelé played together Brazil never lost.

Garrincha, now that was a player! Better than Pelé, but way too much drinking and off the field stuff. He could have been the legend against which all other players would be measured if he was half the professional Pelé was. Didn't help that he was a bit dimwitted and taken advantage of. In the 60+ games he and Pelé played together Brazil never lost.

Similar record as to when Jason Dozzel and Gary Doherty played together for us.

Thought Brazil V Mexico would be a tight match but Brazil didn't have much problem beating Mexico. Brazil seems to be improving by each match as they have won their last 3 matches 2-0 without conceding any goals. Neymar scored his second goal in this World Cup but he really should stop those embarassing over reaction every time he is touched by other players. This is the 7th consecutive World Cup that Mexico have gone out in the Round of 16 since 1994. Mexico always seems to lack the quality and mental strength to go beyond the Round of 16 in any World Cup. Feel sorry about Mexico going out but they have only themselves to blame. After winning their first 2 matches, they should have at least get a draw against Sweden but got thrashed instead. If they had avoided defeat against Sweden, Mexico would have faced Switzerland instead of Brazil in the Second Round. Mexico's passionate fans really deserve to win the World Cup but too bad their team always are not good enough.

Belgium did well to come back from 2-0 down to beat Japan 3-2. But they should not have conceded 2 goals in the first place. Belgium's defence have looked unconvincing in this World Cup and it was the same problem against Japan. Vertonghen was at fault for Japan's first goal but did well to score Belgium's first goal even if it was a fluke header. Credit also to Chadli for coming on and scoring the winning goal in injury time. Japan scored 2 well-taken goals but were too naive to defend the lead. The match started slowly but became thrilling to watch once Japan were leading 2-0. I think the entire football world wanted the match to go into extra time. But Japan got greedy and tried to beat Belgium in injury time but got punished instead. Not sure what Japan was trying to prove by going all out kamikaze football in injury time. I think Japan would have won this match if it had gone into extra time as Belgium's defence looked vulnerable all match.

Sweden V Switzerland is going to be interesting. I think both have the same team strengths. Will prefer Sweden to win and progress but their lack of a decent striker will be their main problem. Maybe Sweden should have brought back Ibrahimovic. Have always liked Switzerland due to their "neutral" position before this but find it hard to support them due to their Albanian players' celebration against Serbia. Let's see which team have the mental strength to win this match.

Not sure which Colombia will turn up against England. Despite their quality players, Colombia are always inconsistent and no one will know what to expect from them. Can see Davinson Sanchez being under pressure by England, especially Kane, in this match. From the Spurs perspective, you have to be worried for Sanchez as it will destroy his confidence if he has a bad match. Hope he will does well in this match. England have not won a knockout match in the World Cup since beating Ecuador in 2006. Let's see if they can change that in this match.

So did Neymar, IMO. I'm surprised no-one in the Mexico side went full Keano on him after those antics. See him thrash around like a fúcking salmon with his knee in pieces.

By complete contrast, honest Japan were unlucky but naïve to lose like that.
Were they naive, though? They were gassed and the prospect of another 30 minutes was probably less enticing than going for it to win it at the death.

Sweden against Alban... er, I mean Switzerland is turning out to be more entertaining than I expected.

We'll done Belgium for coming back.

But thought Japan were excellent (up to their limitations). Organised, tactically brilliant and trusted each other. Didn't look overawed by the occasion and, as Poch would say, they were brave.

In fact Poch would have enjoyed their performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back