• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What do you think about Spurs?

Do you know about the sustainability activities of the Spurs (Greenest Club in the Premier League)?

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Never heard about it

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Sustainability? Spurs?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Eh. Club committed to the campaign to reduce emissions and energy use at club facilities (can't recall the name) a long time before others did. It seems that they take it reasonably seriously - although it may just be a happy coincidence, in the sense of 'we're building a new training ground and stadium, might as well build sustainability into it'.
Ah, ‘energy use reduction’ that must have been when we stopped pressing…

I believe the kits use recycled materials ..

All sustainability is a trade off, the club isn't going to kill a revenue stream for a minimal impact on overall sustainability.

The single best thing anyone can do for the environment/sustainability is "don't have children", yet no one talks about it, just brick about not eating meat or cycle to work.
It was tongue in cheek, I know kits are a revenue stream and we need all the cash we can get!

Is it not like saying someone is acting sustainably because they buy recycled plastic bottles of water instead of refilling the same one though?

I think it’s the same for most people / big orgs -sustainability is fine for virtue signalling / PR as long as it doesn’t actually cost very much or take a big effort.

Personally, whilst sustainability is something I do think about and that I do consider important, its irrelevant for my support for Spurs.

In the same way that investments I make are for financial return (solely), my interest in Spurs is for football (and punishment?) solely.

I dont see the need to complicate my life by needing different parts of my life to overlap

That is a valid point and quite a good comparison.
And I also do not expect that sport teams become some kind of a sustainable leader or change the life of all their fans. But I guess it is quite interesting if teams can maybe partly influence or support fans (and of course also do something for the environment by themselves) but acting a little bit more sustainable or show them how they could do it. Of course there is no real need just some kind of an opportunity (from my perspective).

How can we be the greenest if we've just built a new stadium? Breeam is the biggest load of gonad*s ever.

Definite a point to consider. At least how long do they have to make use of the stadium?

Spurs generally has a good record of community activity (investment in local area, training school for locals, using stadium as NHS location during pandemic) and sustainability.

- From my perspective it matters
- Most supporters would prefer their club not be associated with owners/money from shady backgrounds
- However, most supporters are also hypocrites completely and would look away if someone bought success regardless of where that came from.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your view and I think you have some valid points.

I believe the kits use recycled materials ..

All sustainability is a trade off, the club isn't going to kill a revenue stream for a minimal impact on overall sustainability.

The single best thing anyone can do for the environment/sustainability is "don't have children", yet no one talks about it, just brick about not eating meat or cycle to work.

I also think that is a trade off especially for big clubs. And sometimes it is good (and easier) to start with some small steps.

Eh. Club committed to the campaign to reduce emissions and energy use at club facilities (can't recall the name) a long time before others did. It seems that they take it reasonably seriously - although it may just be a happy coincidence, in the sense of 'we're building a new training ground and stadium, might as well build sustainability into it'.

Yep, the club has included sustainability in it's planning since 2009

Said it elsewhere, in most things off the pitch we have been amazingly progressive and way ahead of others.

That makes it even more interesting. Do a lot of fans do not know about it (poor communication of the club) or just do not are about it too much?

That makes it even more interesting. Do a lot of fans do not know about it (poor communication of the club) or just do not are about it too much?

I would say the latter, although it's purely anecdotal.

Personally, when I think of sustainability, I think more of what my country's doing to reach the Paris 2030 targets and meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals more broadly - I think of it at a national-level.

My football club, on the other hand - I'm primarily concerned about the football team, and then about making sure it's treating its ordinary staff and fans well, and finally the club's charity work. That's what I look for news and information on, and what forms the core of our identity for me. In terms of sustainability, I just assume Spurs have built sustainability standards into the new stadium and training ground and leave it at that.

In fact, you mentioning that we're apparently the greenest team in the Premier League is the first I've heard about it!

In terms of football clubs that make sustainability a core part of their ethos and values, I would recommend looking at Forest Green Rovers FC. They make being environmentally conscious a key part of their identity, and are planning to build the world's first all-wooden stadium, if I recall correctly. But with larger clubs, I feel like sustainability just becomes a corporate function for fans - something they assume the club is doing, and that' s it.

They encourage use of cycling and trains to visit, not cars.
They use the stadium for a Food Bank and Covid vaccine hub.
Not sure if that counts as sustainable / green.
I'm vaguely proud we do these things, but it isn't a priority of mine.

My football club, on the other hand - I'm primarily concerned about the football team, and then about making sure it's treating its ordinary staff and fans well, and finally the club's charity work. That's what I look for news and information on, and what forms the core of our identity for me. In terms of sustainability, I just assume Spurs have built sustainability standards into the new stadium and training ground and leave it at that.

In fact, you mentioning that we're apparently the greenest team in the Premier League is the first I've heard about it!
I totally get that point and I think what you say accounts for near every fan (I also like your order).

But on the other hand, I think the second point you mentioned is a good example of some kind of "bad" communication (at least if the club would like to use the aspect of being green as something to differentiate from other clubs (or even as a marketing tool)).

In terms of football clubs that make sustainability a core part of their ethos and values, I would recommend looking at Forest Green Rovers FC. They make being environmentally conscious a key part of their identity, and are planning to build the world's first all-wooden stadium, if I recall correctly. But with larger clubs, I feel like sustainability just becomes a corporate function for fans - something they assume the club is doing, and that' s it.

Yes, that is true. I also had a look at Forest Green Rovers and their approach.
And yes, I guess that it is true. I also think it is more difficult for large clubs as being sustainable is not their first goal (but they have to think about it as a lot of fans and especially stakeholders want them to act sustainable).

Since most people don't seem aware

To care is to do | New Stadium | Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur is dedicated to minimising the environmental impacts of its activities across all Club operations.

We embrace initiatives and technologies that reduce our environmental impact whenever possible, working towards improving efficiency and sustainability across the Club at all levels - encouraging employees, suppliers and partners to do the same.

We are offsetting our carbon footprint in a myriad of different ways – to date, we have planted over 300 new and semi-mature trees and tens of thousands of new plants, hedges and flowers across our Training Centre to establish an ecological habitat

The Club was a founder member of the 10:10 initiative, which called on individuals, businesses, schools and other organisations to cut their emissions by 10% in a year. This founder membership and the Club’s work during that period has informed our policies moving forward since implementation in 2009.

The Club’s core policies are:

• Recycle any waste products generated across the Club where possible and increase waste diversion away from landfill
  • Reduce our single-use plastic footprint with the aim of eliminating its use across Club operations, seeking to source more environmentally sustainable materials where possible
  • Educate and inspire young people in our communities through the work of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation
  • Promote alternative forms of transport for fans and staff to and from the stadium and Training Centre that have a reduced impact on the environment
  • Identify locally and sustainably sourced food options to cater for various dietary requirements, including plant-based food options, at our stadium

They encourage use of cycling and trains to visit, not cars.
They use the stadium for a Food Bank and Covid vaccine hub.
Not sure if that counts as sustainable / green.
I'm vaguely proud we do these things, but it isn't a priority of mine.

In the end you have to decide for yourself how you evaluate these things. But I would argue they are going in the direction of (social and environmental) sustainability.

Suggest that your research might usefully correlate environmental commitments made by clubs with stadium and facilities construction projects that required municipal permissions.

Since most people don't seem aware

To care is to do | New Stadium | Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur is dedicated to minimising the environmental impacts of its activities across all Club operations.

We embrace initiatives and technologies that reduce our environmental impact whenever possible, working towards improving efficiency and sustainability across the Club at all levels - encouraging employees, suppliers and partners to do the same.

We are offsetting our carbon footprint in a myriad of different ways – to date, we have planted over 300 new and semi-mature trees and tens of thousands of new plants, hedges and flowers across our Training Centre to establish an ecological habitat

The Club was a founder member of the 10:10 initiative, which called on individuals, businesses, schools and other organisations to cut their emissions by 10% in a year. This founder membership and the Club’s work during that period has informed our policies moving forward since implementation in 2009.

The Club’s core policies are:

• Recycle any waste products generated across the Club where possible and increase waste diversion away from landfill
  • Reduce our single-use plastic footprint with the aim of eliminating its use across Club operations, seeking to source more environmentally sustainable materials where possible
  • Educate and inspire young people in our communities through the work of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation
  • Promote alternative forms of transport for fans and staff to and from the stadium and Training Centre that have a reduced impact on the environment
  • Identify locally and sustainably sourced food options to cater for various dietary requirements, including plant-based food options, at our stadium
Spurs are doing a lot of things for quite a long time !

Suggest that your research might usefully correlate environmental commitments made by clubs with stadium and facilities construction projects that required municipal permissions.
Yes, that is an idea and part of sustainability strategies of clubs but it is going a little bit in an other direction.

I'm just booking my flights to an international conference on saving the planet in India, looking forward to staying in my 5 star hotel with air conditioning running 24 hours and the building floodlit after sun set, sipping roostertails after my 7 course banquet. We really need to get serious about this.

Spurs are doing a lot of things for quite a long time !

Yep, Daniel Levy gets a lot of flack from supporters/general media for two things

- His risk/reward strategy re squad investment
- His concentration on the business of the club.

What they do miss is off the pitch Spurs are an extremely progressive club and have been so for a long time, e.g.

- Sustainability involvement since 2009
- Bringing a Director of Football long before other clubs in the UK
- Rebuilding the training facilities and academy in 2012 (which included investment into area again)
- Bringing in Olympic experienced medical staff and reworking facilities in 2006
- Tottenham Hotspur foundation as a charity since 2004 that the club actually asked to be audited for impact in 2014 (first PL club to do anything like this) (2014 Audit if interested, pre Stadium) -> Includes job skilling and finding -> Employment & Skills | Tottenham Hotspur
- As far back as 2006, Spurs topped all other PL clubs in both % and total charitable contributions
- London Academy of Excellence Tottenham is a sixth form free school which opened in September 2017
- Making the stadium available to NHS during large part of pandemic breakout

Honestly list goes on, but often doesn't go with the narrative against the club/ownership so often is never covered.

Community initiatives are under-appreciated in my opinion. Not just visiting the hospital during Christmas but the whole investment in the stadium allowing greater economic activities, jobs for locals and appreciation of the surrounding land prices. I think these have more meaningful and direct impact into the communities than banning plastic straws for instance. I think the club is starting to more and that's great but I feel that the players can do a lot more than they do right now. Marcus Rashford is a great example.

Community initiatives are under-appreciated in my opinion. Not just visiting the hospital during Christmas but the whole investment in the stadium allowing greater economic activities, jobs for locals and appreciation of the surrounding land prices. I think these have more meaningful and direct impact into the communities than banning plastic straws for instance. I think the club is starting to more and that's great but I feel that the players can do a lot more than they do right now. Marcus Rashford is a great example.

Jan and his wife were actually quite involved (not taking anything away from Rashford, kudos to him)

There is an interview that he talks about it, he said they did the first club Christmas charity work, it opened his eyes and ever since they have done quite a bit (he has his own foundation as well)

Back