• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

So all those angeball believers and experts....is this Angeball yet? If not what needs to change ?

Am I wrong to expect high tempo, quick, all attacking football ?

So all those angeball believers and experts....is this Angeball yet? If not what needs to change ?

Definitely a believer. Definitely not an expert.

Replied in the OMT, but don't think high tempo at all times is the aim. Romero standing still on the ball is a feature, not a bug.

We got our dribbly winger. Everton were poor so difficult to judge. We even got the fairly early goal, makes it even more difficult to judge. But I think that improves the balance of the team significantly. Time will tell.

Kulusevski in the 8 role was an interesting and welcome change. I like Sarr a lot, but for this kind of game having the options of Kulusevski and Bergvall for that role for more creativity and quality on the ball could be really useful.

Yes, this is Angeball. But there's probably more tweaks to come.

I think we need to drop the midfield back a little bit when Vicario has the ball. Its far too common watching Romero VDV and Vicario playing in triangles whilst our full backs push up the pitch and stand twiddling their thumbs. I get that we try to attract the opposition further up the pitch to then create space in midfield but we end up with no options and its all sideways and backwards until Romero inevitably gives it away.

I think we need to drop the midfield back a little bit when Vicario has the ball. Its far too common watching Romero VDV and Vicario playing in triangles whilst our full backs push up the pitch and stand twiddling their thumbs. I get that we try to attract the opposition further up the pitch to then create space in midfield but we end up with no options and its all sideways and backwards until Romero inevitably gives it away.
If the midfield dropping deeper means that opposition follows them creating more space between the lines (or in behind) that can work. If the opponents are disciplined in their block it would just end up with us having more players to interchange easy passes at the back and fewer players ahead of the ball.

I think our play in these situations was rather good against Everton and we for sure created chances. Against Leicester too we progressed the ball well in those phases and got into good attacking areas. Difficult to know how that will translate to playing against better teams, but so far so good. On something that for sure was an issue last season.

If the midfield dropping deeper means that opposition follows them creating more space between the lines (or in behind) that can work. If the opponents are disciplined in their block it would just end up with us having more players to interchange easy passes at the back and fewer players ahead of the ball.

I think our play in these situations was rather good against Everton and we for sure created chances. Against Leicester too we progressed the ball well in those phases and got into good attacking areas. Difficult to know how that will translate to playing against better teams, but so far so good. On something that for sure was an issue last season.
It’s exactly how we released Johnson and Wilson several times yesterday
Also the Maddison one in the first half
All about sucking them in and then hitting the ball right

It’s exactly how we released Johnson and Wilson several times yesterday
Also the Maddison one in the first half
All about sucking them in and then hitting the ball right

It's like all things just got to get the balance right, making the right decision and self belief, I think the team seem to falter in periods of games as we still don't have a settled team. I can't think of us having a run of 4/5 games without 3/4 personnel or positional changes.

It's like all things just got to get the balance right, making the right decision and self belief, I think the team seem to falter in periods of games as we still don't have a settled team. I can't think of us having a run of 4/5 games without 3/4 personnel or positional changes.
We actively want and need 3 personnel or positional changes per game, we need to rotate the squad and get everyone playing "enough" and everyone rested "enough".
Else we have a first team and a bunch of losers watching on.

We actively want and need 3 personnel or positional changes per game, we need to rotate the squad and get everyone playing "enough" and everyone rested "enough".
Else we have a first team and a bunch of losers watching on.

Do we? I thought we had enough subs to protect the players, everyone was writing how lucky Woolwich were last season being able to keep an unchanged side.

Do we? I thought we had enough subs to protect the players, everyone was writing how lucky Woolwich were last season being able to keep an unchanged side.
Yes we do. Porro should not start every game, Spence can sub for him. Ditto the centre backs and Dragusin. Ditto our midfield options with Biss/Lolo/Gray/Berg/Deki/Sarr/Madd all rotating in and out, etc etc, you get it, e.g. we don't want VdV starting every game until his hamstrings explode (we don't sub centre backs generally) and we don't want Dragusin completely cold.

Yes we do. Porro should not start every game, Spence can sub for him. Ditto the centre backs and Dragusin. Ditto our midfield options with Biss/Lolo/Gray/Berg/Deki/Sarr/Madd all rotating in and out, etc etc, you get it, e.g. we don't want VdV starting every game until his hamstrings explode (we don't sub centre backs generally) and we don't want Dragusin completely cold.
Will probably see more of that when the EL games come rolling around. Starting a game a week isn't really an issue.

Good to see already Gray, Bergvall, Odobert involved as much as they have been. Spence getting minutes.

But that's how Emirates Marketing Project dominates several competitions by rolling out half a team of changes but playing in the sane style. Plus 4 subs is good for injury prevention, exposing youth, rest and recovery.

Maybe it's early days and the system and individual roles are still in development, but eventually, i would hope to see ftequent different line ups where necessary to match the competition, with no sacrifice in performance (better still, be more competitive due to personnel choice v opposition)

But that's how Emirates Marketing Project dominates several competitions by rolling out half a team of changes but playing in the sane style. Plus 4 subs is good for injury prevention, exposing youth, rest and recovery.

Maybe it's early days and the system and individual roles are still in development, but eventually, i would hope to see ftequent different line ups where necessary to match the competition, with no sacrifice in performance (better still, be more competitive due to personnel choice v opposition)

It's this balance, City does a reasonable job of it, SAF famously used to do it a lot
- Rotate more in early season (even at the cost of occasional result)
- Allows your real first 11 to have less fatigue later in season
- Allows the bench to have much more playing time, more match fit for when they really are needed
- In an ideal world, it also reduces injuries

Last edited:
It's this balance, City does a reasonable job of it, SAF famously used to do it a lot
- Rotate more in early season (even at the cost of occasional result)
- Allows your real first 11 to have less fatigue later in season
- Allows the bench to have much more playing time, more match fit for when they really are needed
- In an ideal world, it also reduces injuries
Let's hope Arsenal doing the opposite, and being relatively successful, was an outlier.

Back