• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

We must keep playing Harry when ever possible.

I'm gobsmacked how poor Janssen overall game is.
I feel very sad for the Vincent, the game just passes him by. One pass does not a premier league striker make!

I'd try pushing Sissoko further forward to give Kane som help, but not Vincent he is sadly just too slow.
Interesting as from what I have seen so far this season I think Janssen has looked better than Kane. Obviously I know that Kane is a lot better than he has shown in the opening games of this season, but if judging the pair of them on their output on the pitch as opposed to their reputation Janssen has looked more accomplished. If Kane was a new player just coming into the team, having not scored 50 odd league goals for us already and we'd seen these opening 4 or 5 games from him, I think most of us would be labelling him a right carthorse (slow, poor touch, greedy, etc).

We got very lucky with Harry no more no less.......and it may not last.
I was gobsmacked with Harry he did not look the part, like now. I could not understand how no one saw Harry coming through and we kept spending money on The Soldado's of this world. I think we now know.....

We will need goals from 'others' this season and maybe a lot of them.
The club always had very high hopes for Harry. Right back to Redknapp's time. The reason why money was spent on Soldado and the like is because it is never, ever guaranteed that a young player will continue to improve and progress.

[QUOTE="Finney Is Back, post: 847361, member: 805" If Kane was a new player just coming into the team, having not scored 50 odd league goals for us already and we'd seen these opening 4 or 5 games from him, I think most of us would be labelling him a right carthorse (slow, poor touch, greedy, etc).[/QUOTE]
His striking has certainly lost sharpness recently but last night his holding and approach play was absolutely top-draw.

This. So much doom and gloom for a player who's probably still settling in a new team and a new league, and doing just fine in the process.

Truly bizarre.
Perhaps some of the frustration is down to the seeming policy of buying young, unfinished players (such as Janssen) who need time to bed in while other teams around us get Prem ready players.

Perhaps some of the frustration is down to the seeming policy of buying young, unfinished players (such as Janssen) who need time to bed in while other teams around us get Prem ready players.

If we can spend £30m on Sissoko why the ^&*($ did we not get Batshuayi?

Very harsh to judge him until he's had a few starts imo.

I also watched for Holland when they did not qualify for the Euros and again vs Sweden when Holland had all the possession and his poor control was again self evident.

He is probably a nice lad and he tries ever so hard but he is not of the required quality to help Harry.

His striking has certainly lost sharpness recently but last night his holding and approach play was absolutely top-draw.
Personally I thought it was adequate last night, but nothing more than that. I thought that Janssen did just as good a job as Kane at holding the ball up. There were also (I think) 3 occasions when Kane had the ball in the opposition's penalty box, tried to come back inside and get a shot away despite the ball having no route through to goal and teammates in much better positions.

I also watched for Holland when they did not qualify for the Euros and again vs Sweden when Holland had all the possession and his poor control was again self evident.

He is probably a nice lad and he tries ever so hard but he is not of the required quality to help Harry.
Neither did eriksen with Denmark, one player can't carry the can for a country.

I don't think he has shown anything that suggests he needs time to bed in at all. I think he has done pretty well every time he has been on the pitch. He is clearly strong enough to play PL football, in fact I would say he has almost bullied the centre halves that he has come up against. I think he will need a bit of time with the team to integrate fully into our style of play, but I think that is true of pretty much any player really. I certainly don't see Janssen as not being 'prem ready'.

If we can spend £30m on Sissoko why the ^&*($ did we not get Batshuayi?
Because (despite what we would like to believe) if ourselves and Chelsea go for the same player, it will be Chelsea that the player wants to sign for as opposed to us, that is before you also consider the fact that the money Batshuayi was demanding would've made him the highest paid player in our squad by some margin.

Now I don't know about you but I cannot see us choosing to make our brand new, young, unproven, reserve centre forward instantly our highest paid player at the very same time that we are in the process of negotiating new contracts for Kane, Eriksen, Lamela, Walker, Rose, Dier, Alli, Lloris and Vertonghen, but maybe I am just a bit dim?

Last edited:

During the summer I watched Kane play for England - shanking free kicks 40 yards high and wide, trapping the ball further than I can kick it and not looking dangerous at all despite England having all the possession.

I would advise you never to us a small sample size when judging a player.

I don't think he has shown anything that suggests he needs time to bed in at all. I think he has done pretty well every time he has been on the pitch. He is clearly strong enough to play PL football, in fact I would say he has almost bullied the centre halves that he has come up against. I think he will need a bit of time with the team to integrate fully into our style of play, but I think that is true of pretty much any player really. I certainly don't see Janssen as not being 'prem ready'.
I guess we have a slight difference in what a number 9 is primarily there to do. He has hustled and bustled and played cute passes but still hasn't scored. For a striker scoring is a big part of the job. Soldado hustled and bustled and didn't score enough too. Were you satisfied with him?

I guess we have a slight difference in what a number 9 is primarily there to do. He has hustled and bustled and played cute passes but still hasn't scored. For a striker scoring is a big part of the job. Soldado hustled and bustled and didn't score enough too. Were you satisfied with him?
How many minutes has Janssen had so far?

Personally I thought that Soldado did little other than aim sly elbows at the opposition. After he missed that penalty at Emirates Marketing Project he didn't even want to take those any more did he?

Can we give Janssen a similar amount of minutes to Soldado before we completely write him off?

Back