• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Crystal Palace OMT ***

real banana skin this one, the reality is its a BFS side with pace and strength up front

the narrative is its palace

we'll have a much better idea who our players really are, and if they did learn the lessons of last season after this

real banana skin this one, the reality is its a BFS side with pace and strength up front

the narrative is its palace

we'll have a much better idea who our players really are, and if they did learn the lessons of last season after this

It looks like a banana skin however we really should be able to dominate the midfield against Milivojevic and Cabaye and we have enough pace and strength at the back ourselves. Fat Sam has got some results simply by playing a settled team; assuming we dominate the ball, we should be confident of keeping the crowd quiet and winnning

In a sense, I agree, as it's a very important game, and we should go out there and impose ourselves on the match. On the other hand, it's just another game of football, with all the margins and variables that encompasses. Not trying to sound too philosophical here, but we could potentially go out there on Wednesday, play a really good game, yet still not win - would that mean we haven't learned a lesson from last year?

Too early to say ahead of the game, of course, but I always want to question the "black and white" thinking behind statements like this. One single game won't be the judge of a team's maturity. We'll see how the rest of the season goes. If it turns out that the game yesterday started a sort of collapse for us again now (and consequent bad results), I tend to agree, but the result of a single game just won't say anything about lessons learned or the maturity of the team.

As long as I see 100% fight, like I believe we saw yesterday as well, there's not much reason to complain. There will always be margins and variables in football matches that you can't control (refs, for instance - although some would argue we could do more to influence them).

In a sense, I agree, as it's a very important game, and we should go out there and impose ourselves on the match. On the other hand, it's just another game of football, with all the margins and variables that encompasses. Not trying to sound too philosophical here, but we could potentially go out there on Wednesday, play a really good game, yet still not win - would that mean we haven't learned a lesson from last year?

Too early to say ahead of the game, of course, but I always want to question the "black and white" thinking behind statements like this. One single game won't be the judge of a team's maturity. We'll see how the rest of the season goes. If it turns out that the game yesterday started a sort of collapse for us again now (and consequent bad results), I tend to agree, but the result of a single game just won't say anything about lessons learned or the maturity of the team.

As long as I see 100% fight, like I believe we saw yesterday as well, there's not much reason to complain. There will always be margins and variables in football matches that you can't control (refs, for instance - although some would argue we could do more to influence them).

yes, I meant the performance rather than the result

Please lets focus on our game and not make our season dependent on catching Chelsea. We have had a very good year so far. Lets build on it by nailing at least second place. We can then attract better players to the Spurs project.
Spot on. We have to remember how well we have done this year and that it is (so far) an improvement on last year.

This is where we see what the players of made of. A late season collapse like last year will mean too many players questioning the 'project'. Only a win will do.
If that does happen, at least it's Arsenal's turn to get the annual kicking.

So palace have beaten Liverpool. Looks like they are turning up for these crunch games. Let's expect a very difficult game. Key factor will be how we are going to react after the Chelsea defeat

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

So palace have beaten Liverpool. Looks like they are turning up for these crunch games. Let's expect a very difficult game. Key factor will be how we are going to react after the Chelsea defeat

Palace weren't as good as I was expecting today. They conceded massive amounts of possession and weren't as competitive in midfield as I thought they would be. If they play like that against us, I'd be confident of us winning

I'm glad Palace won today. Makes them that much closer to safety.

they're playing Burnley at home the weekend where a win would all but confirm their safety - would like to think they'd have one eye on that
Unless they come out with the hope of beating us to confirm their safety even sooner!

I agree with AdamB, their performance today didn't contain too much that looked like it could repeatedly trouble us. However, Allardyce can be astute and switch things up for specific opponents so complacency must be avoided. They did try to harry and close down Liverpool in numbers but not consistently. I feel like our fitness could be key to this - and it may be that Davies and Walker can actually do well here as they didn't have a full 90 minutes charging up and down the flanks at the weekend.

We need to shape the fudge up on defensive set plays! I've been saying all season that we should leave at least one player up front. Now we don't even have anyone on the edge of the box to pick up second balls! It's criminal defending!

Please lets focus on our game and not make our season dependent on catching Chelsea. We have had a very good year so far. Lets build on it by nailing at least second place. We can then attract better players to the Spurs project.

I'm interested in where you think the team needs improving? An upgrade on Davies and some more midfield creativity are key for me.

Exactly. We've had an easy run, now our rivals have an easy run. We'll drop points like they have recently. Doesn't mean we're choking.

Did you see our bench compared to Cheatski? Yes, we have a few injuries, but there is always room for improvement.

I'm interested in where you think the team needs improving? An upgrade on Davies and some more midfield creativity are key for me.

We need:
- a right sided CB given that Dier is a better DM than CB and we have no cover there; particularly important if we want to play with a back 3
- long-term cover for Dembele. He turns 30 this summer and has been picking up niggly injuries recently and Poch has had to nurse him through. Yes we have Winks, however given the volume of games, a 5th CM (in addition to MD, ED, VW and HW) is needed
- a pacey/creative attacker. Our best 4 (Lamela, Son, Alli, Eriksen) are all good but none really take their opponent on or have real x-factor skills. Sissoko is a waste of space and GKN needs a season on loan somewhere, rather than 15 min cameos, in order to develop properly (similar to Rose's to Sunderland a few years' back)
- a 'one for the future' type back-up CF

Davies is better than virtually all back-up LBs in the league and can cover CB in a back 3 so I dont consider that a priority

Absolute must-win; i REALLY hope the players don't get sucked into thinking Palace "will probably now be on the beach" or other such nonsense.

We will need strength, pace, passing ability plus sharper focus on set-pieces - you can bet BFS will be looking at how we conceded our goals yesterday and trying to capitalise by playing those percentages.

So with that in mind, my line-up would be:

Lloris
Walker Alderwiereld Vertonghen Davies
Dier Dembele
Eriksen Alli Son
Kane

I would save Wanyama for Arsenal (looked slightly rusty yesterday though i did think he played well)

Benteke usually gets handled well by his compatriots in our team so one would hope that continues. Can't help thinking Townsend will score a screamer against us but not celebrate, but that Eriksen and Kane will save us late on, perhaps after Janssen comes on to ruffle Sakho a little bit.

COYS

Win this and keep the pressure on Chelski before their game at Goodison on Sunday

Back