• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TOTTENHAM vs. ASTON VILLA - OMT

Today's result really isn't going to help us

They probably will park the bus to make sure they don't repeat, we need to score early (a 1st half goal please)

I fully expect the usual. Another dull, lifeless, baron game devoid of excitement and especially devoid of anything resembling management. Its happened for 90% of the season so far so why should boxing day be any different. Bar humbug !

So sure we are gonna lose this. Today's result for them seals it.

Nervertheless, I'd play Sig. Don't even consider it harsh on Defoe. He's had a good season but has found it frustrating the last few games anyway, so I don't see why he should be immune to getting dropped occasionally. Midfield picks itself, reckon Benny will need a reserve game at least before coming back into this.

Do think Adebayor has been awesome recently? Personally I think he has been worse than Defoe?

I meant Parker instead of Defoe, sorry about that.

But it's poor tactically. Why push everyone up for the win in the 89th minute? Why not do it earlier if that was the case? It was poor like many other poor tactical decisions we saw from Redknapp in the second half of last season.

Because we were battering them even with 10 men! We were already pushing up, but VDV was tiring, so we gave Modric a go in his role. The actual system was working fine, we just needed that moment of inspiration to open them up. Unfortunately it didn't come, but you can't judge a game just by the score line. We dominated possession and had by far the more chances, despite being a man down.

I don't know what fans expect at times. What is the point of making a sub when we were all over them? Fans seem to think changes will always make a difference, but that isn't the case. It was better to keep VDV on for as long a possible. It wasn't like we just needed someone to put the ball in the back of the net. They were sat deep and defending for their lives. We needed our most creative players to open them up, but as we saw yesterday in our game and today in Utd's it can be so difficult when teams dig in. 22 shots and 63% possession, away from home and with 10 men is about all you can reasonably expect. But football fans are very rarely reasonable and make judgments against un-testable ideals. Hence when the result isn't right, the alternative tactical changes are always deemed to have been the right one's, even though there is no way to test this.

The idea we lost that game due to a tactical sub in the 89th minute is crazy. We lost due to a sending off and by a rash challenge from a young player and a freak deflected goal.

It's embarrassing isn't it. I almost 100% believe he does it to wind people up.

The deluded blind faith of some fans in an under achieving team and a clueless manager is just as embarrassing isnt it ? We could be in the bottom 6 and losing every week and some fans would still post "positive" comments.

Come back and post here after 90 minutes against Villa and we shall see who was right. Remember the way they were humiliated 8-0 today.

Wait and see what we do to them (although deluded posters here already have the excuses lined up such as "It was a bad time to play Villa after a thumping" and "they wanted to show their fans they could bounce back from a trouncing" and "they parked the bus after conceding 8 so they were hard to break down" etc etc etc !

Yawn !

fudge off out of here then you mug. Go yawn some where else you bell.

I take it your a grown man (please correct me if im wrong). Are you seriously telling me to fudge off and calling me names (a "mug and a "bell" no less) because you dont agree with my opinion on an internet forum ?

Mayby its you thats in the wrong place if you only want "conformists" to post on here. Who's embarrassing themselves now ?

The deluded blind faith of some fans in an under achieving team and a clueless manager is just as embarrassing isnt it ? We could be in the bottom 6 and losing every week and some fans would still post "positive" comments.

Come back and post here after 90 minutes against Villa and we shall see who was right. Remember the way they were humiliated 8-0 today.

Wait and see what we do to them (although deluded posters here already have the excuses lined up such as "It was a bad time to play Villa after a thumping" and "they wanted to show their fans they could bounce back from a trouncing" and "they parked the bus after conceding 8 so they were hard to break down" etc etc etc !

Yawn !

We're 6th, level on points with 4th. How much higher do you think this squad should have us?

Yawn !

AVB certainly isnt clueless in fact most ppl in europe still feel he is best young manager in europe - along with FDB ;) of course - how many managers sleep at the training ground and dedicate their full time to the job. he plans thoroughly for each opponent. a very progressive coach

That sub was made in the 89th minute. We hardly drew due to that! Also, it was Parker for VDV. But are there still fans out there who didn't understand the tactical thinking behind that substitution? It was done to push MOdric forward into VDV's role. We were dominating the possession, but couldn't open them up, so pushed our most creative player forward. It was pointed out at the time by many fans that it wasn't a defensive sub and in fact an attacking move, yet still, months later, people can't get their heads around it. It was not the reason we didn't win that game and it was the right attacking move, as Modric was far more likely to play the clever ball needed to open them up, than Defoe would have been. Parker played as the last man, so even the defenders could push up. We put on a defensive player in order for them team to be as attacking as possible!

We all saw what he thought was going to work Joey, problem is, there were BETTER options.

Luka scored 4 goals last season.
VdV scored 11.
Defoe scored 11.

We needed players to stretch the pitch not try and pick a lock through the middle which wasn't going to happen. Defoe goes on for VdV, Ade drops in behind and starts dragging the walls around with him, Bale and Lennon have room to manouvre...there were other options which, I think, might have given us a better chance of pinching a goal.

Parker was also coming off his soon-to-be-reaggravated achilies problem. Livermore, at that point in the season a player who had performed a similar, deep-lying midfield role, often, passes the ball forward more quickly than scotty, who tends to hold the ball and run with it before releasing. In the 89th minute of a game where your theory might have been applicable so far as the logic of the substitution goes, I think it's fair to say that Livermore would've been a better option. I will never ever forget Scotty scuttling backwards towards the far left-hand corner of our half (the opposite corner from where we were sat) literally going in circles before being able to get the ball 20 yards back up the pitch; it took a minute!

The TRUTH is that you're absolutely right, neither that sub or those 5 minutes cost us that game. It was the first-half, which much like many in the second-half of last season (especially away) was played at the speed of a turtle when we really needed to impose ourselves on what was as poor a Vila side as we will see for a long long time.

If ever there was an away game to play like we were at home last season, that was it. Sorry, if AVB faces a game like this and we play with the same level of tepidity, I'll criticize him too

Because we were battering them even with 10 men! We were already pushing up, but VDV was tiring, so we gave Modric a go in his role. The actual system was working fine, we just needed that moment of inspiration to open them up. Unfortunately it didn't come, but you can't judge a game just by the score line. We dominated possession and had by far the more chances, despite being a man down.

I don't know what fans expect at times. What is the point of making a sub when we were all over them? Fans seem to think changes will always make a difference, but that isn't the case. It was better to keep VDV on for as long a possible. It wasn't like we just needed someone to put the ball in the back of the net. They were sat deep and defending for their lives. We needed our most creative players to open them up, but as we saw yesterday in our game and today in Utd's it can be so difficult when teams dig in. 22 shots and 63% possession, away from home and with 10 men is about all you can reasonably expect. But football fans are very rarely reasonable and make judgments against un-testable ideals. Hence when the result isn't right, the alternative tactical changes are always deemed to have been the right one's, even though there is no way to test this.

The idea we lost that game due to a tactical sub in the 89th minute is crazy. We lost due to a sending off and by a rash challenge from a young player and a freak deflected goal.

No, we lost because we played the first half with as much urgency as a pre-season friendly. That's the truth. We needed to hit them hard and early with speed and power. An early goal, or even a goal in the first 25 minute, and we'd have done them by 3 or more. They were crap. Instead, we sauntered around like we had it in the pocket. It was a cup match. We had the bonus of two at the end of the season, both against beatable opposition, and all we had to do was win them. I couldn't believe that we blew third TWICE last season, not just once, but TWICE!!!

As for 'fans think...' etc, I would suggest that if you need a goal and you have two strikers sitting on the bench, you might find a way of getting one more of them at least onto the pitch with 20-25 mins left.Especially given the pattern of the game.

By the way, with regards to the FIRST sentence in bold above, could you please share this thought in the AVB thread? It'd be appreciated.;)

I take it your a grown man (please correct me if im wrong). Are you seriously telling me to fudge off and calling me names (a "mug and a "bell" no less) because you dont agree with my opinion on an internet forum ?

Mayby its you thats in the wrong place if you only want "conformists" to post on here. Who's embarrassing themselves now ?

Actually he's an unemployed secretary

Looking forward to this one. Fortunate enough to be able to make the trip and I hope we get back to winning ways.

COYS!!

Back