• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

Indeed. Compared to the 3 highest scoring teams in the league, we hit a much higher proportion of shots down the middle of the goal (46%) than Emirates Marketing Project (33%), Liverpool (28%) and ARSEnal (32%).

Obviously it helps that City and Liverpool have world class marksmen like Aguero and Suarez up front to find those corners, whilst ARSEnal have that knack of carving open opponents to slot home from close range.
Impressive analysis. You wonder how our stats would've looked this season if we still had Bale.

some crazy stats there:

total shots middle of goal (high and low)
- arsenal and liverpool 15%
- Emirates Marketing Project 19%
- us 26% !!!

ferdinand still our striker coach?

Don't be silly. Townsend doesn't get shots on target!

rhMb94H.jpg

That's a slightly misleading image - there are two shots so wide they're not even on it. Does that include blocked shots?

Also 53% is pretty poor by our team's standards.

No as it's difficult to tell whether a blocked shot was going to be on target or not.

Lennon 100%
Eriksen 78%
Adebayor 75%
Dembele 57%
Defoe 54%
Townsend 53%
Sigurdsson 52%
Soldado 34%
Chadli 14%
Paulinho 39%

Doesn't look poor to me, you can discount Lennon's as it's a sample size of 5 shots, he's taken 15 in total but 10 of those were blocked. I doubt Ade and Eriksen will keep up that percentage and Dembele has four on target with three off. I'll take a look at some of the top scorers in the league as well;

Hazard 64%
Lukaku 62%
Aguero 60%
Suarez 60%
Sturridge 55%
Negredo 51%
Remy 51%
Yaya 50%
Rodriguez 50%
Rooney 49%
Van Persie 47%
Giroud 40%

So it appears that Townsend does actually get some shots on target afterall, who knew.

No as it's difficult to tell whether a blocked shot was going to be on target or not.

Lennon 100%
Eriksen 78%
Adebayor 75%
Dembele 57%
Defoe 54%
Townsend 53%
Sigurdsson 52%
Soldado 34%
Chadli 14%
Paulinho 39%

Doesn't look poor to me, you can discount Lennon's as it's a sample size of 5 shots, he's taken 15 in total but 10 of those were blocked. I doubt Ade and Eriksen will keep up that percentage and Dembele has four on target with three off. I'll take a look at some of the top scorers in the league as well;

Hazard 64%
Lukaku 62%
Aguero 60%
Suarez 60%
Sturridge 55%
Negredo 51%
Remy 51%
Yaya 50%
Rodriguez 50%
Rooney 49%
Van Persie 47%
Giroud 40%

So it appears that Townsend does actually get some shots on target afterall, who knew.

I believe early on most Spurs fans did credit him with a decent shot. Problem was he rarely scored so when he continually opted to shoot rather than pass to a team-mate his stock quickly deteriorated.

If it's not a poor accuracy rate (I'm still not convinced it isn't) then what would you suggest has led him to only score one flukey goal from 30 shots?

some crazy stats there:

total shots middle of goal (high and low)
- arsenal and liverpool 15%
- Emirates Marketing Project 19%
- us 26% !!!

ferdinand still our striker coach?

Those % are for the amount of goals scored in those zones, the figures in yellow are the shots attempted :-"

Emirates Marketing Project have scored 13 goals (19%) from 52 shots (33%) down the middle.
Liverpool have scored 9 goals (15%) from 44 shots (28%) down the middle.
ARSEnal have scored 7 goals (15%) from 42 shots (32%) down the middle.
Tottenham have scored 8 goals (26%) from 56 shots (46%) down the middle.

Impressive analysis. You wonder how our stats would've looked this season if we still had Bale.

Last season we struck more shots on target than any other Premier League team but ended up with only the 5th highest goal tally, just goes to show how important shot placement is and why world class strikers like van Persie can command such high wages due to their ability to place their shots not only on target but out of the reach of the goalie.

www.whoscored.com
www.squawka.com

good stuff there ... nice to see more football fansites starting to dig in to those numbers, to give us alternative views beyond gut feel and what i saw.

those tv pundits need to catch up - one page of squawka can outdo what the pundits can in a single session.

Lennon 100%
Eriksen 78%
Adebayor 75%
Dembele 57%
Defoe 54%
Townsend 53%
Sigurdsson 52%
Soldado 34%
Chadli 14%
Paulinho 39%

Hazard 64%
Lukaku 62%
Aguero 60%
Suarez 60%
Sturridge 55%
Negredo 51%
Remy 51%
Yaya 50%
Rodriguez 50%
Rooney 49%
Van Persie 47%
Giroud 40%

Just goes to show how misleading stats can be when viewed in isolation.

Townsend has hit a higher proportion of shots on target this season but RvP undoubtedly has a more impressive shot map, as RvP is usually trying to place the ball just inside of the woodwork whilst Andros just blasts most of his shots within easy reach of the goalie.

Hence why 60% of RvP' shots on target have resulted in a goal compared to just 6% of Townsend' and even that 1 was a fluke as he was attempting a cross to the far post.

If it's not a poor accuracy rate (I'm still not convinced it isn't) then what would you suggest has led him to only score one flukey goal from 30 shots?

Most of the on target shots are probably from far out and straight at the keeper. I don't recall him forcing many wonder saves, certainly nothing like the "bad luck" Sigurdsson's had with hitting the posts and whatnot.

Don't want to jinx us but we still have the joint best away record this season : 8 wins and 2 draws for a total of 26 points, the same as Arsenal. And along with Everton, we have the least no of away defeats as well : 2.

AVB's best contribution to us was improving greatly our away results. Hope AVB's legacy continues for long !=D>

This stat compares our results against other teams results in the same fixtures. i.e. we beat Everton and Arsenal only drew against them which means we are +2. Likewise we lost at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Swansea City beat them so we are -3 to Swansea.

Teams are list in order of who we have the most favorable points advantage over. The number in brackets shows how many points we have gained against that team in head-to-head. This in not included for the first sum.

1. West Ham +22pts (-3)
2. Stoke C +18 (+3)
3. WBA +17 (0)
4. Swansea +14 (+6)
5. Sunderland +12 (+3)
6. Norwich C +11 (+3)
7. Fulham +11 (+3)
8. Hull C +8 (+3)
9. Crystal Pal +6 (+6)
10. Cardiff C +6 (+3)
11. Aston Villa +5 (+3)
12. Arsenal +4 (-3)
13. So'ton +4 (+3)
14. Saudi Sportswashing Machine +4 (-3)
15. Emirates Marketing Project +3 (-6)
16. Man Utd +1 (+3)
17. Everton -3 (+3)
18. Liverpool -4 (-3)
19. Chelsea -15 (0)

The most striking figures there have to be that we have scored more points than Emirates Marketing Project in our corresponding fixtures - they dropped points at Cardiff, Villa, Sunderland and So'ton where we got maximum points from.

Also we are 4 points better off than Arsenal which backs up my theory that apart from beating Liverpool at home they've not recorded any particularly impressive results this year that you wouldn't have expected. However, they will be ahead of us if they gain more than the 1 point we recorded at home to West Ham, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and WBA. Also, if they win against Man U and we drop points at Saudi Sportswashing Machine this midweek as you'd probably expect that would also balance the stats out.

V interesting.

So how to interpret this?
Does that mean Arsenal are in a false position in the league?

V interesting.

So how to interpret this?
Does that mean Arsenal are in a false position in the league?

It only really shows their results in comparison to ours - would be interested to compare their results to other teams e.g. Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool.

Back