• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

If we can get top 3 again, that would be great. 2 seasons back to back in the CL group stages.

Then next year is almost a free shot. I don't think our Wembley form will be that bad, but even if it is terrible, and we finish outside of the European places, we have all our top players on long term contracts and no one is going to be desperate to push for a move when their next season will be the one they've been working towards for years. Then we win the league. Simple.

From where we are today, I'd be disappointed if we finished below 3rd. We're playing well at the moment, have a reasonable run of games coming up and none of Liverpool, Arse or Man U look like a top 3 side. We're obviously only a Kane-injury away from slipping, but we should be optimistic at the moment

A second season in the CL group stages will also be massive for us, in terms of money, prestige, ability to attract players etc. It also would mean that two of Man U, Liverpool and Arse wouldnt have the CL carrot with which to attract players, so helps us in the league next year

Just want to take each game as it comes. In theory, The last two home games and West Ham/Burnley away on current form could be tricky and other games we should aim for wins but it never works out that way. Just want us to chalk off each game at home up until Leicester away with a win in those 3 home games which would leave us on 65 points before taking into account the results in the Swansea/Burnley/Crystal Palace games. If we win our next 3 home games then I don't see us not finishing in the top 4 and I would be surprised if we didn't get at least 3rd tbh. Concentration is the key, get the points on the board and let the others worry.

Couple points - firstly, you've only listed 10 games. Secondly, you'd take 18 points from 11 games? I sincerely hope we take more than that otherwise we have a very real risk of finishing 5th!

No team with 74pts with has ever finished outside the Top 4. Only twice has a team with 72pts finished outside the Top 4, and funnily we played each other today.

No team with 74pts with has ever finished outside the Top 4. Only twice has a team with 72pts finished outside the Top 4, and funnily we played each other today.
Doubt there's ever been a season when the top six had so many points at this stage. Both Arse and United have games in hand on us so it's still very tight. United are still on a long unbeaten run and the Arse always seem to close us down in the final stages so 74 points might not be enough for once.

Couple points - firstly, you've only listed 10 games. Secondly, you'd take 18 points from 11 games? I sincerely hope we take more than that otherwise we have a very real risk of finishing 5th!

A) Mea culpa, although in my defence, I don't think Palace away's been rescheduled yet - and even if it has, it won't be an easy game given that they're evidently picking up form and steam prior to one of Big Sam's trademark late-season survival runs.

B) Yeah, I'd take 18 points from 11 games. At a stretch, I'd take 17. Either one would surpass our record points total, and would represent progress regardless of where we finish. Positions in the table change based on many factors - how strong the league is, how big the gap between the best and the rest is and so on. We can't really control that. We can control how many points we get - and *absolute* progress can be measured by a constantly increasing points tally, which 73/74 points would represent.

If we get more, fantastic, better chance of finishing in the CL spots. But if we finish 5th with 74 points, that wouldn't represent failure for me - quite the opposite.

All that changes, of course, if we get knocked out of the cup. I want us to go all-in there - full first team against Millwall and (obviously) in the semis and the final. 5th with a cup would be an undisputed success - 5th without one would be a little harder to assess.

Somewhere within the nebulous walls of this august forum, I've said this before. It holds stronger than ever after watching that win over Everton:

I'm relaxed and confident about our top four placing.

Don't need widgets, digits, numbers or tumblers to see what we're building, on and off the pitch. The complete team performance on Sunday only strengthened my conviction about where we're headed. You can't say Spurs have offered us this feeling very often in past seasons.

Relaxed and confident.

Somewhere within the nebulous walls of this august forum, I've said this before. It holds stronger than ever after watching that win over Everton:

I'm relaxed and confident about our top four placing.

Don't need widgets, digits, numbers or tumblers to see what we're building, on and off the pitch. The complete team performance on Sunday only strengthened my conviction about where we're headed. You can't say Spurs have offered us this feeling very often in past seasons.

Relaxed and confident.

Disagree with this part. I think we've been a top four force for about the last three years now. We looked very good last season up until about mid April, then the wheels came off.

If Chelsea don't win the league from the position they are in it will be a failure, so with the same sort of cup to 5th it would be for us not to get into the top 4.

Arsenal have a game in hand but have to win that and get 2 better results than us, or start hammering teams, same as united - but the game in hand they have Is city

Arsenal still have to play - united/City/Us

United - City/Us/Chelsea

Add Arsenal are imploding finishing below them would be an embarrassment

If Chelsea don't win the league from the position they are in it will be a failure, so with the same sort of cup to 5th it would be for us not to get into the top 4.

Arsenal have a game in hand but have to win that and get 2 better results than us, or start hammering teams, same as united - but the game in hand they have Is city

United - City/Us/Chelsea

The Arsenal thing is over exaggerated again as always. Only 3 points behind us if they win their game in hand. They aren't out of this at all yet.

Hope they will be soon enough

United - City/Us/Chelsea

I'm not even considering finishing above Arsenal despite the fact that I believe we have a better starting 11 (although I'd say their squad overall is better). We've naused it up far too many times from good positions for me to entertain the notion of us finishing higher than them.

I think our best hope is Sanchez continues to kick off to the point where Wenger keeps leaving him out or he causes unrest in their dressing room. They're a much better team with him in the side.

With the above in mind, I'm of the opinion that we will finish 4th as it looks like Emirates Marketing Project have got their act together and Chelsea looks odds on to win the league. I'd be disappointed if we finished below 4th. United have too many teams to overtake and Liverpool's struggles the lower teams will (hopefully) be their undoing.

I'm not even considering finishing above Arsenal despite the fact that I believe we have a better starting 11 (although I'd say their squad overall is better). We've naused it up far too many times from good positions for me to entertain the notion of us finishing higher than them.

I think our best hope is Sanchez continues to kick off to the point where Wenger keeps leaving him out or he causes unrest in their dressing room. They're a much better team with him in the side.

With the above in mind, I'm of the opinion that we will finish 4th as it looks like Emirates Marketing Project have got their act together and Chelsea looks odds on to win the league. I'd be disappointed if we finished below 4th. United have too many teams to overtake and Liverpool's struggles the lower teams will (hopefully) be their undoing.
It is sad that we don't have the confidence in our own side that we should, but actually that's the way I am thinking too :oops:. Sanchez out and we will likely finish above them, otherwise who knows.

Ibra out for few matches might help too but it is is more likely that we'll find aliens on Mars than the FA punishing utd.

It is sad that we don't have the confidence in our own side that we should, but actually that's the way I am thinking too :oops:. Sanchez out and we will likely finish above them, otherwise who knows.

Ibra out for few matches might help too but it is is more likely that we'll find aliens on Mars than the FA punishing utd.

It reminds me of Redknapp's last season where Arsenal didn't have a particularly great side but they had 1 world class player (Van Persie) who carried them. He's a different player to Kane who is a better goalscorer but Sanchez's overall play is superior as he's involved in more goals in total. He's got 9 assists I believe. Assists aren't always the most trustworthy stat IMO but he creates more than Kane does.

I think the FA will do Ibra and Mings. 5 games each at least I reckon. They were both so blatant and violent although I feel a bit sorry for Ibrahimovic as his lash out was a reaction to getting stamped on, pretty sure I'd react in a similar way if someone stamped on my head.

It reminds me of Redknapp's last season where Arsenal didn't have a particularly great side but they had 1 world class player (Van Persie) who carried them. He's a different player to Kane who is a better goalscorer but Sanchez's overall play is superior as he's involved in more goals in total. He's got 9 assists I believe. Assists aren't always the most trustworthy stat IMO but he creates more than Kane does.

I think the FA will do Ibra and Mings. 5 games each at least I reckon. They were both so blatant and violent although I feel a bit sorry for Ibrahimovic as his lash out was a reaction to getting stamped on, pretty sure I'd react in a similar way if someone stamped on my head.
You would think so but I honestly think they'll go light on him. I have no faith in the FA doing what is right.

You would think so but I honestly think they'll go light on him. I have no faith in the FA doing what is right.

Mings' stamp was genuinely disgusting. That is truly dangerous stuff. Sometimes people can be a bit over-dramatic but that kind of stamp can genuinely cause permanent damage.

Ibrahimovic should get 3. Mings needs 6+ really. Appalling.

I'll go out on a limb and say we'll win 9 and draw 2 out of the last 11. Forget just eeking a point or two more than our record points total. We're going to smash it and finish above 80 points and in 2nd place, less than 6 points behind Chelski.

Back