• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

I'd happily trade the Premier League for more Olympics. Really has hit home how much I dislike football now (at least those involved in it more than the sport itself) seeing these wonderful games.

Totally agree, cant believe the season starts next saturday

I'd happily trade the Premier League for more Olympics. Really has hit home how much I dislike football now (at least those involved in it more than the sport itself) seeing these wonderful games.
Agreed! Everything is more interesting, so much more to watch, things I wouldn't normally! I have a new found fondness of multiple sports! Wouldn't mind trying some myself!

Not looking forward to the Sky 4 tossfests or the Champions League.

Its been one of the best periods of sport I can remember in a long long time.
We have really put on a fantastic show and when the IOC president says as per tradition these were " The best games ever", you know just know they were

Also, the BBC coverage was brilliant. Thank goodness ITV were allowed no where near this event.

I remember it was a big come down after Sydney. I feel it after all big sporting events. The World Cup, Euros etc. it's got to happen at some point though so I'm very thankful football is back next week.

On a more...disturbing note, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a terror attack or something. I thought some fudgehead would turn up this time. It's all gone off without a hitch (until now).

I understand the sentiment, but don't agree.

The great thing about the Olympics is that they only turn up every four years. We find ourselves getting excited by sports we have barely heard of. But that's the appeal, its something different and rare.

I've watched the rowing and cycling for a decade of more outside of the Olympics. I had an interest in these sports for a long time, but the Olympic success developed the interest (which means I'm dangerously close to a sports gloryhunter :( ).

The strengths of the Premier League and Champions League are different. They are every year and many weeks in the year. The challenge to sustain interest is so different. The fact that football can sustain almost weekly interest is a testament to its popularity, but also a reason why Olympic football has more limited interest.

If they made the Olympics every year they would lose importance. The athletics world championship almost gained equal footing when every four years, but lost the glamour when it went every two years.

I will look forward to Rio because it is four years away.

The great thing about the Olympics is that they only turn up every four years. We find ourselves getting excited by sports we have barely heard of. But that's the appeal, its something different and rare.

I've watched the rowing and cycling for a decade of more outside of the Olympics. I had an interest in these sports for a long time, but the Olympic success developed the interest (which means I'm dangerously close to a sports gloryhunter :( ).

The strengths of the Premier League and Champions League are different. They are every year and many weeks in the year. The challenge to sustain interest is so different. The fact that football can sustain almost weekly interest is a testament to its popularity, but also a reason why Olympic football has more limited interest.

If they made the Olympics every year they would lose importance. The athletics world championship almost gained equal footing when every four years, but lost the glamour when it went every two years.

But that's the thing for me, my interest in football has waned in the last two seasons, and I've really started to see the sport for what it is now. The Olympics has just reinforced it to me, it's the complete opposite of what football has become. It's also why I have fallen so hard for golf in the last 18 months. If anything, I might start watching more lower league and non league football, at a level where it matters to those involved more.

It's definitely what's made the CL a non event for me. It's boring and predictable, not as to who will win, but there's very little to get excited about that you can't see every weekend in the various national leagues.

I agree and I wouldnt go as far as saying I wanna watch olympics everyday as I dont. I dont watch any of those sports other than in the Olympics

I have enjoyed the football free period and have not missed it and am not looking forward to football at all. Actually watched 2 mins of the charity shield today and it was horrible so watch volleyball instead.

I guess i actually dislike everything associated with football and combine that with the fact im not overly optimistic about spurs this season - not really a great recipe.

Tom Dailey ‏@TomDaiIey1994
Hey @Rileyy_69. Remember when you said I let my dad down for not getting a medal? You mad bro?

Tom Dailey ‏@TomDaiIey1994
Hey @Rileyy_69. Remember when you said I let my dad down for not getting a medal? You mad bro?

How immature!

Just like when he dived into the pool yesterday after his dive you'd thought he'd won a Gold if you just walked through the front door

How immature!

Just like when he dived into the pool yesterday after his dive you'd thought he'd won a Gold if you just walked through the front door

He is 18 and been through the year from hell, give the lad a break FFS

He has an Olympic medal, do you ???

Back