• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

anyone who doesnt rate Wheelchair's geuine potential to become one of the greats ever, up there with gascoigne, scholes etc hasnt seen Wheelchair enough imo. if he was one of ours, hed probably be a fans favourite imo, even ahead of bale (who is better) simply because of his mix of ability and passion/desire/personality. he has that work ethic and attitude to the game that everyone in this country admires. also, you can genuinely see how much he loves arsenal (well as much a professional player can do so imo). and comparisons between Wheelchair and modric are perfect imo. altho i also think Wheelchair has a bit of iniesta in him as well, in the way that he can commit players and glide past them despite not being a speed merchant.
lets hope that this is arsenal/wenger underplaying his injury, and that he can miss a few more games than just 1 or 2

woah steady on there mate - he's a good technical midfielder and important for Arsenal atm but i haven't seen anything to suggest he's gonna become 'one of the greats' his particular style stands out in the premier league, just like Modric did because technical footballers are few and far between over here - i bet there are scores of midfielders as good as him in Spain.

i think your undercrediting the likes of modric and Wheelchair a bit tbh. to say there are scores of midfielders as good as Wheelchair in spain is a bit of a stretch no? and modric didnt just stand out simply because he was a technical player. he stood out because he was the best of a number of technical midfielders in the premier league. otherwise im sure no-one wouldve rated him at 35m+. also, if you look at us alone, we have dembele, sig, holtby who are also technical midfielders, and i woudnt say any of these guys have the influence modric did. as for Wheelchair, hes singlehandedly controlling games for arsenal and england too at times. i would say theres less than 10 midfielders around the world who could arguably do this.

In truth I don't think Modric's technical ablity is standing out in Spain though he's not as big a flop as the madridistas claim and part of it is the difficult of shoehorning him in the RM side. It is hard to tempt Spaniards to the PL, but you can see that even the "second tier" (ie. not Barca/Madrid) Spanish midfielders like Mata, Silva, Cazorla - hell even Michu - are at a completely different technical level in the PL to the British types. Monreal will be amazing too given time. Wheelchair will have to become Paul Scholes to stand out against the likes of them; which, tbf, is not impossible given his age.

The Bundesliga is chockfull of wonderful technical players too, though I think it is a little easier to stand out there than in the PL. In any case I actually think Arsenal still have a very strong team outside their defenders - note team, not necessarily in terms of individuals - and they are not that reliant on any one player. Liverpool and us both utilize a solid pressing structure as a platform for our one 'crack' player to make the difference, but Arse are less organized and more organic with an engrained style of coaching throughout the entire club.

I don't see Wheelchair running games like Modric used to for us. Or Paul Scholes did for Utd, Xavi does for Barca, Xabi Alonso does for Madrid, Pirlo for his various clubs and country. I just don't get the fuss. He's technically really good, his short passing is superb, he's tenacious but I just don't think he greatly affects the outcome of a game. Put Rosicky in there and Arsenal's play won't change and neither will the result.

Wheelchair is 20 years old. He will add goals to his game as Fabregas did and will be a very good player unfortunately

He's 21 and Fabregas was a much better player even when he was 17. We'd have our full side out against a mish-mash Arsenal side, we'd be in control, they'd bring Fabregas on and the entire game would change. I know we're better now but Wheelchair hasn't come close to doing that against anyone.

i wouldnt be so sure about Wheelchair never reaching fabregas' level. at this moment, i expect him to get there or there abouts in the next couple of years. whilst also having the potential to surpass him given the right situation/environment and luck (or bad luck in our case ;) ). having said this there is no doubt whatsoever that in my mind that fabregas was ahead of Wheelchair at 16/17. but before missing the whole of last season, at around 18 years old, Wheelchair had some outstanding performances for arsenal, and was thus starting to get england call ups for a central midfield position as a teenager (how many teenagers have the ability to do these things for top teams like england and arsenal?). and when you compare him to the likes of silva/cazorla, Wheelchair has been far more consistent, albeit in an arguably easier deep lying/box to box role, compared to the playmaker/second striker positions. and the majority of arsenal fans i know rate Wheelchair far more highly than cazorla, who if it werent for his early season form wouldnt be rated anywhere nearly as highly as he currently is by football fans. and i think this view regarding wilsheres growing influence on matches may be being reflected by wenger's team selection too, as he is starting to play Wheelchair as the main playmaker and shifting cazorla to the left wing.

Wheelchair is 20 years old. He will add goals to his game as Fabregas did and will be a very good player unfortunately

If he becomes a truly great footballer (plausible) - I think he'd be off to one of the Manchester clubs rather than clogging along the Top 6 trophyless season after season. That and double wages, I'd imagine

I believe he needs better coaching than he's getting in order to develop into the player he could be. He will be a raw talent @ the goons under Wenger, but he won't develop into much more than he is right now. Which is pretty good, BUT not a world-beater IMO.

He's 21 and Fabregas was a much better player even when he was 17. We'd have our full side out against a mish-mash Arsenal side, we'd be in control, they'd bring Fabregas on and the entire game would change. I know we're better now but Wheelchair hasn't come close to doing that against anyone.

Fabregas is a really interesting case...here's a guy who literally carried the goons to years of glorious failure, but was undoubtably a huge talisman for them (somehow)...at Barca, well, he's just 'a part' of it...people mentioned Modric earlier, I think he would absolutely rule at Madrid if they (err) played him BUT he is not a 4-3-3 player for sure, and I don't watch enough of Madrid to comment with authority but Mourinho liked his 4-3-3s...

i wouldnt be so sure about Wheelchair never reaching fabregas' level. at this moment, i expect him to get there or there abouts in the next couple of years. whilst also having the potential to surpass him given the right situation/environment and luck (or bad luck in our case ;) ). having said this there is no doubt whatsoever that in my mind that fabregas was ahead of Wheelchair at 16/17. but before missing the whole of last season, at around 18 years old, Wheelchair had some outstanding performances for arsenal, and was thus starting to get england call ups for a central midfield position as a teenager (how many teenagers have the ability to do these things for top teams like england and arsenal?). and when you compare him to the likes of silva/cazorla, Wheelchair has been far more consistent, albeit in an arguably easier deep lying/box to box role, compared to the playmaker/second striker positions. and the majority of arsenal fans i know rate Wheelchair far more highly than cazorla, who if it werent for his early season form wouldnt be rated anywhere nearly as highly as he currently is by football fans. and i think this view regarding wilsheres growing influence on matches may be being reflected by wenger's team selection too, as he is starting to play Wheelchair as the main playmaker and shifting cazorla to the left wing.

More an indication of how brick the options in midfield for England are than how great Wheelchair necessarily is.

Wheelchair - what does he do?

I've heard the comparisons to Gazza, the only similarity is he is a powerful runner, like Gazza, but he has none of the other talents. I'm in no doubt he will one day be a decent player, but to say he will be 'world class' with any certainty is ridiculous, yet to see him takes game by the scruff of the neck, even against lesser opposition.

Personally I think Wheelchair is massively over-rated - i just dont get what is meant to be so great about him. Fine he plays a lot of short 5-10 yard passes and probably completes a high % of them but the only reasons the media love him is that (1) there is a real lack of English talent and the media need someone to write about and hype up and (2) the recent success of Barca has made short midfielders like Iniesta and Xavi very much en vogue so people like to try to find the 'next Xavi'. Gaurdiola was asked by an english journo before an Arse- Barca game a year or two ago what he thought of Wheelchair and the journo was expecting a raft of praise etc for Wheelchair - however Guardiola said that he had about a dozen Wheelchair's in Barca's youth team!

He doesnt play defence splitting passes, doesnt have the speed or skill to go past a man and just doesnt hurt the opposition. I dont watch Arse games regularly however very very few (if any) moments srping to mind where he's done something special. When Rooney burst on to the scene he scored that long range goalpast Seaman for Everton - fine Wheelchair is a CM but I just dont remember anything of note from him. Have always said that he reminds me of Lee Hendrie at Villa a few years ago - similar style, similar size, left footed and both meant to be the next great thing

The main impact from him being injured I think will be psychological for Arsenal rather than anything more than that. I really hope that they do continue to believe that he'll be a world beater and base their plans on Wheelchair as I think that this will mean they continue to fail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Theo-Walcott-Santi-Cazorla-Bayern-Munich.html

'Gunners give in! Wenger risks fans' fury by resting Walcott and Cazorla against Bayern to focus on securing top-four spot'

Wenger is currently getting a lot of flack for it. Resting players to help qualification for next years Champions League rather then actually trying to compete in this years.

Granted at this stage it looks a formality, but if you are going to give up that easily how quickly before that attitude is picked up on by your whole squad? Not a way to try and give your team a winning mentality.

A bit of a 'fudge you' to the fans that have made the trip really.

Back