• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

Its the 3, Lamela and Townsend have been disappointing whilst Ericksen and Chadli imo have been hot and cold, I don't need to mention Paulie, the 3 do not gell together interpass very well and the movement is poor, the telling thing for me is that when Kane drops deeper he looks better than any of them, I do think Dembele has been underused in fact I think he is more effective played further forward but then we get back to the inflexibility and tunnel vision of our manager

What reasons are there to think they would be more effective in a different formation?

Isn't the much more likely explanation for their inconsistency that they're just not at the extremely high level where they perform consistently at a very high level. After all only very few players do, and even fewer at the young age Eriksen is.

We can develop players to the level where they perform consistently at that level, we've seen that in the past. But it's very rare for us to be able to sign players that do, the competition in the transfer market from the bigger clubs is just too tough.

We need more competition and better backup options for that trio, no doubt. Pritchard coming in will hopefully go some way towards solving that. But I don't think a different formation is much of a solution at all.

What reasons are there to think they would be more effective in a different formation?

Isn't the much more likely explanation for their inconsistency that they're just not at the extremely high level where they perform consistently at a very high level. After all only very few players do, and even fewer at the young age Eriksen is.

We can develop players to the level where they perform consistently at that level, we've seen that in the past. But it's very rare for us to be able to sign players that do, the competition in the transfer market from the bigger clubs is just too tough.

We need more competition and better backup options for that trio, no doubt. Pritchard coming in will hopefully go some way towards solving that. But I don't think a different formation is much of a solution at all.

To be frank I don't think that Chadli and Ericksen would be, they are not robust enough for a 4-4-2, in a 3-5-2 maybe with Ericksen as the second striker, people have gone off track, I am not praising 3-5-2 I am saying that we don't have the players that are good in a 4-2-3-1, what started this is me thinking that Toby,Dier and Verts with Wimmer as back up could give us the option of going 3 at the back, we have proven that spending £10mill plus on players is no guarantee of good value so I totally agree with giving youngsters ago, even then I don't think that MP uses them enough in the Europe.

To be frank I don't think that Chadli and Ericksen would be, they are not robust enough for a 4-4-2, in a 3-5-2 maybe with Ericksen as the second striker, people have gone off track, I am not praising 3-5-2 I am saying that we don't have the players that are good in a 4-2-3-1, what started this is me thinking that Toby,Dier and Verts with Wimmer as back up could give us the option of going 3 at the back, we have proven that spending £10mill plus on players is no guarantee of good value so I totally agree with giving youngsters ago, even then I don't think that MP uses them enough in the Europe.

But when asked to expand on that you mentioned the attacking midfield trio as the players that aren't a good fit in 4-2-3-1... Surely if those players aren't a better fit in a 3-5-2 changing formation to that makes very little sense?

The additional centre back does give us the option to go 3 at the back, unless either Wimmer or Dier are heading out on loan. To be fair I think Trippier is arguably more suited to a wing back role than Walker is, which would also make a back 3 more plausible. But Pochettino's previous preferences still makes a back 3 rather unlikely imo.

I just don't get this. We have played variations on 4-2-3-1 for years. We play 4-2-3-1 throughout the club. Pretty much every player that we have signed has played it before they joined us.

I do not go by starting formations as the formation never stays the same during a match. It will always switch between formations such as 4231 and 433 pretty much the same thing. 442 and a 4222 pretty much the same.

Bonjour Monsieur La Beurre

Who are you talking too, pedant?

I was talking to Jimmy-G, referring to his comment about the advanced midfield trio's reluctance to run beyond Kane.

I'd like to see Mason played further up the field, as well, or at least be assured that someone in the trio behind the striker has the wit to cover him when he marauds forward.

"Maraud" is a good word; you don't see it used much outside of football game reports and Games Workshop tabletop battles.

I was talking to Jimmy-G, referring to his comment about the advanced midfield trio's reluctance to run beyond Kane.

I'd like to see Mason played further up the field, as well, or at least be assured that someone in the trio behind the striker has the wit to cover him when he marauds forward.

"Maraud" is a good word; you don't see it used much outside of football game reports and Games Workshop tabletop battles.

that brings back memories, many a happy hour leading my high elves against my mates orc and goblin army on his dads pool table

good times

I just don't get this. We have played variations on 4-2-3-1 for years. We play 4-2-3-1 throughout the club. Pretty much every player that we have signed has played it before they joined us.

It certainly don't look like they have, finishing fifth was not a disaster, but I don't think we progressed much.

It certainly don't look like they have, finishing fifth was not a disaster, but I don't think we progressed much.

If we go back a year, the consensus on here was that the realistic expectation for the season was the manager assessing the squad and ending the season with a clear idea of who he wanted and who he didn't. Most people said that they would be happy with this, a decent cup run and playing some nice football would be a bonus. I think that we achieved this and that this coming season is the one we should judge the manager and team on.

But when asked to expand on that you mentioned the attacking midfield trio as the players that aren't a good fit in 4-2-3-1... Surely if those players aren't a better fit in a 3-5-2 changing formation to that makes very little sense?

The additional centre back does give us the option to go 3 at the back, unless either Wimmer or Dier are heading out on loan. To be fair I think Trippier is arguably more suited to a wing back role than Walker is, which would also make a back 3 more plausible. But Pochettino's previous preferences still makes a back 3 rather unlikely imo.

Playing with the five in midfield would enable them to support each other better there should always be a simple pass available, when we play there is no cohesion between the front four, the best at putting balls through is Kane and he is supposed to be the front man.

If we go back a year, the consensus on here was that the realistic expectation for the season was the manager assessing the squad and ending the season with a clear idea of who he wanted and who he didn't. Most people said that they would be happy with this, a decent cup run and playing some nice football would be a bonus. I think that we achieved this and that this coming season is the one we should judge the manager and team on.

I can go along with that, fourth was there for us last season, shame.

Playing with the five in midfield would enable them to support each other better there should always be a simple pass available, when we play there is no cohesion between the front four, the best at putting balls through is Kane and he is supposed to be the front man.

Possession was not really a problem for us though, so I am not clear what problem five in midfield is solving.

Were there any games last season where you were impressed with our play in the final third?

I think next season, 2016/17, is The season we should be judging on.
If we get in 6 new players that's a lot to educate to his methods. If six leave and 6 come it will take time for understanding and chemistry to develop.
There should be progress yes, but in my view it would be to early to judge.
And that's all assuming most of the newcomers fit in.

Possession was not really a problem for us though, so I am not clear what problem five in midfield is solving.

Were there any games last season where you were impressed with our play in the final third?

There were periods in most games where we looked bright, we started games well but after 25mins we seemed to run out of steam, we don't carry much goal threat considering the possession we have in most games.

Arsenal, Chelsea And Everton at home

West Brom away

Our football in those games was borderline brilliant as it combined excitement with energy in the final third

Back