• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gio will play a large role if AVB is appointed, IMO.

He's failed at Barca, Spurs, Ipwich and Galatassaray and was only a modest success at Santander last year. I find it incredible that people think that a decent player is suddendly going to emerge from the train-wreck that is his career. I know people cite his international record but he scores against footballing superpowers like Haita, Panama and Cuba rather than against proper teams

one thing I find bizarre is how many players we are linked with without having a manager!

The Sahin/Carvalho negotiations, if true, are clearly being directed by somebody who is not Levy. Carvalho? How on earth would that signing occur to Levy? It's completely out of left field.

No, Andre (or somebody) has to be acting behind the scenes here. I say Andre because Carvalho would clearly be an attempt to get in a dressing room ally (a dependable countryman), whereas Sahin would be a direct replacement for Modric, who we know from last Summer is the type of player Andre admires. A Sahin signing would be an attempt to retain the general shape and balance of our first team despite the loss of the little master.

All of that suggests to me that there is somebody pulling the strings here, and that it has to be AVB.

The Sahin/Carvalho negotiations, if true, are clearly being directed by somebody who is not Levy. Carvalho? How on earth would that signing occur to Levy? It's completely out of left field.

No, Andre (or somebody) has to be acting behind the scenes here. I say Andre because Carvalho would clearly be an attempt to get in a dressing room ally (a dependable countryman), whereas Sahin would be a direct replacement for Modric, who we know from last Summer is the type of player Andre admires. A Sahin signing would be an attempt to retain the general shape and balance of our first team despite the loss of the little master.

All of that suggests to me that there is somebody pulling the strings here, and that it has to be AVB.

This would all point to AVB directing things.
In fact it could well be that we can't officially unveil him as our new manager due to some compensation agreement with Chelsea, where as part of the deal he couldn't work for another PL club until July/when the transfer window opens.

This would all point to AVB directing things.
In fact it could well be that we can't officially unveil him as our new manager due to some compensation agreement with Chelsea, where as part of the deal he couldn't work for another PL club until July/when the transfer window opens.

That's what I think. An announcement during the week starting Monday 2nd July wouldn't surprise me.

He's failed at Barca, Spurs, Ipwich and Galatassaray and was only a modest success at Santander last year. I find it incredible that people think that a decent player is suddendly going to emerge from the train-wreck that is his career. I know people cite his international record but he scores against footballing superpowers like Haita, Panama and Cuba rather than against proper teams

According to reports both Keane and Rikjard wanted to sign him full time after his loan but could not afford the fee, both managers said he did well and was not a moments trouble so i do not know where you got that from.

[video=youtube;VC58uJcA480]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC58uJcA480[/video] [video=youtube;YJNhEXAd-CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNhEXAd-CU[/video]

only if he quits the nightclubs and arrives to training on time

Hmm...is this actually true? I mean how do we know he actually does this alot? Perhaps I'm being unfair but perhaps the previous management just simply didn't fancy him and allowed this 'myth' to perpetuate?
Do we have any direct quotes/sources?

Just asking like, wouldn't surprise me if he was a clubber...

Hmm...is this actually true? I mean how do we know he actually does this alot? Perhaps I'm being unfair but perhaps the previous management just simply didn't fancy him and allowed this 'myth' to perpetuate?
Do we have any direct quotes/sources?

Just asking like, wouldn't surprise me if he was a clubber...

Redknapp did allude to something similar iirc

just want to remind everyone of something funny from last summer....made me laugh anyway:)

luka.jpg

The thing is though guys, who is to say ANY of it is in the slightest bit true to begin with!?

It amazes me how often various bits of rumour/gossip hang together to form a (reasonably) coherent "whole" that kind of self validates its authenticity.

AVB is strongly linked.
Rumours of him not being unveiled due to contractual obligation.
Old player of his (or associate) gets linked in connection with another to come the other way in a deal we are certain will happen (in so much as Modric leaving)

It all starts to hang together doesnt it? - but none of it is based upon fact at all!

Happens every year, compatible rumours of comings and goings hang together to become some how believable...

All in all, if it were true I would be quite happy. Carvalho is a fantastic defender, Sahin is as good a young player as we can hope for - Modric leaving the premiership is preferable (if he has to leave us) and I would be happy with AVB in the job... But what are the chances of all that coming off?

According to reports both Keane and Rikjard wanted to sign him full time after his loan but could not afford the fee, both managers said he did well and was not a moments trouble so i do not know where you got that from.

I couldn't care less about his nocturnal activities or what he has done elsewhere. What worries me is how many people want him in our team despite the fact he has been poor almost every time he has turned out for us.

Im pretty convinced he will leave and it wont be long before we are left feeling he is the one that got away.

The boys talent and quality cannot be doubted, at some point if he starts to realise it we will look silly for not offering him more opportunities.

As it happens I feel he needs to be in the right set up to flourish (team shape wise) and we simply have never played a way to complement him.

but tbe

but the reading forum itk posted by Indianspurs negates this hypothesis because if it were true and we were trying to sign gylfi then surely he would have been informed that avb is our manager and w
e are just waiting to make the announcement especially if he said the managerial uncertainty was a deal breaker!

Quote from Ricardo Carvalho in the book Special Too - lends more credence to that story. He's more than simply an experienced countryman to AVB it seems.

'While it is true that many doubted Villas-Boas had the capacity to hold the position of manager of FC Porto, there were others who knew his work well and immediately vouched for him. This was the case with Ricardo Carvalho, the central defender who had played for FC Porto and for Chelsea, and who was getting ready to make his way to Real Madrid to once again work with Mourinho, after the World Cup in South Africa. Carvalho knew Villas-Boas very well from the time when he was part of Mourinho's technical team, and was unstinting in his praise:

"He lives and breathes football. Football is everything to him. Sometimes, he even lives football too much. He's incredibly thorough in the reports he draws up. He can scrutinise an opponent right down to the smallest detail. Nothing gets past him. He knows everything about players, everything about teams. Someone who makes the choices he has made is someone who is not afraid to take risks. After all, he had a nice life, quietly doing what he did with Mourinho, but he preferred to swap that security for something riskier. He preferred to go it alone, and if he did so it's because he's extremely confident. He is a sensible and sincere person. Trust me: he knows what he is doing. I'll be rooting for his success. He deserves it."

So...not wanting to turn this too much into another AVB debate, but it does seem like the Carvalho link actually says a lot more than what it appears. And Carvalho won't just be an older head, or a fellow countryman, he seems to be a complete and utter AVB devotee, someone who has won things and will have the respect of the Spurs squad, and who will always have AVB's back. A very clever signing if that comes off I would say.

Back