• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

While GB tends to be prone to exaggeration in order to try to add weight to his points (i.e. playing Kane at number 10 to play Janssen at number 9 would be like playing Lloris left back to accommodate Vorm in goal) I would say that Mason is one of our more creative players. I wouldn't have him second behind Lamela, but it is probably only Lamela, Eriksen and Alli who are in front of him in our squad currently.

From what I have seen during his loan spells, Pritchard would probably be more creative, sadly he has not been given sufficient opportunity to show this in the PL.

Mason is creative alright, it's his delivery that so often let's him down.
Very creative. He is a wizard with Spirograph and not bad with the glue and glitter.

Seriously though he is not that bad, he's just not a CM in my opinion. I'd like to see him get a few run outs as a 10 and see how that goes.

Very creative. He is a wizard with Spirograph and not bad with the glue and glitter.

Seriously though he is not that bad, he's just not a CM in my opinion. I'd like to see him get a few run outs as a 10 and see how that goes.

Problem Mason has is that at the heights level his finishing has been appalling and pretty timid

He scored goals for fun at youth level and he is getting chances but he seems to almost tickle the ball or hit the keeper

He works bloody hard and for me clearly has the brain of a good player but as a 10 he isn't enough of a goal threat and in midfield we simply have better players there now

Problem Mason has is that at the heights level his finishing has been appalling and pretty timid

He scored goals for fun at youth level and he is getting chances but he seems to almost tickle the ball or hit the keeper

He works bloody hard and for me clearly has the brain of a good player but as a 10 he isn't enough of a goal threat and in midfield we simply have better players there now
Yep I hear you, but his youth level exploits lead me to believe that his finishing is better than we have seen. He had a bit of knack for it which has deserted him recently, but it may still be in there. IMO the knack for scoring goals is almost something you have or don't. It is hard to coach. He had it, he lost it, he might find it again. It's a confidence thing really.

In saying all that I'm not sure he is going to oust any of the current incumbents from the 10 slot, as you say. But I still think that that is where he will succeed with us if he is going to. He just does not have enough about him for a CM slot.

Mason is 25 years old. Why do we keep referring to his youth exploits? A beast at U-21 level can be a flop at senior level. Lets remove emotions from it. Mason IMHO is squad rotation material at best.

I agree and I think that's how Poch sees him too. When fit, he is a good, committed player and he will probably be happy with a squad role at a Champions League club. We've said it before, but you need loyal squad players who can do a job -- in the mould of O'Shea, Nicky Butt etc. for Fergie at Utd when they were the team to beat.

Indeed, Walker had proved he was a good player who was suffering ( in some fans eyes not mine) a lack of form. Mason ( imo) has never shown that he is capable of playing at the top table.

What do you mean the top table?

I agree that walker had shown more than Mason like for like but interested what you mean?

What do you mean the top table?

I agree that walker had shown more than Mason like for like but interested what you mean?

I'm guessing he means Walker is only one year older than Mason but has been a Spurs and England regular for 5 years whereas we're still discussing whether Mason is good enough for Spurs let alone thinking of regular international football.

I'm guessing he means Walker is only one year older than Mason but has been a Spurs and England regular for 5 years whereas we're still discussing whether Mason is good enough for Spurs let alone thinking of regular international football.

That's fair enough

I thought it was more to do with what they achieved when they were younger

And I'm not arguing that walker did and has down much more

Surely its harder to play for Spurs than England... ask Andros

Good enough to play for a top four side and a regular for England, Mason ( imo) is not good enough to do either of them.

Is that not part down to position though? There being more PL quality English midfielders than right backs so Walker has a 'simpler' route into the England team?

The one major difference is that Walker had previously proved that he could thrive at the highest level. He won young player of the year aswell iirc.

I'm not saying that the player's careers have been the same before they were injured, Walker had obviously achieved more but some people were unwilling to accept that Walker having several seasons interrupted by injury could have been a contributing factor in his poor form. Similarly, some people seem unwilling to make allowances for Mason having a heavily disrupted season last year and never having a run in the side alongside anyone other than Bentaleb. I am not saying that he'll become a world beater but I think that it is a little early for people to be writing him off.

Indeed, Walker had proved he was a good player who was suffering ( in some fans eyes not mine) a lack of form. Mason ( imo) has never shown that he is capable of playing at the top table.

He's only had one full season in the side and that was alongside a similarly inexperienced player. If anyone else was talking like this, about any other player, you would be ridiculing them.

Back