• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Yeah, but you don't rate Ryan, so why do you care anyway?

To give a little insight to you guys on here.

And just to correct you I don't rate Benteleb at all but rate Mason when used correctly by Poch. He's being played deeper than he'd like and it's affecting his form so let's hope he shows what he can do some time soon.

To give a little insight to you guys on here.

And just to correct you I don't rate Benteleb at all but rate Mason when used correctly by Poch. He's being played deeper than he'd like and it's affecting his form so let's hope he shows what he can do some time soon.

Oh really??

From the Dele Alli thread: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/dele-alli.7406/page-16#post-717888

Because I don't rate all 3 of them anywhere near as highly as most on here. Hell even Mason who is a family friend isn't good enough to be a first team starter IMO. Our midfield is shocking to my mind going into a new season.

I'll gladly wear a dunce hat if proven wrong by the way but IMO our midfield is below par.

Maybe somebody hacked into your account...

Good enough to play the role he's playing in currently no. When you see him play a bit further forward he'll come out of his shell and we'll see his strengths.

Good enough to play the role he's playing in currently no. When you see him play a bit further forward he'll come out of his shell and we'll see his strengths.

That's not what you said, you are backtracking. You said that Mason "isn't good enough to be first teamer imo." Your statement was irrelevant of his position.

Maybe Bentaleb, Alli or Dembele could have the same said about them: "they'll be terrific if they played a bit further forward" etc, etc

That's not what you said, you are backtracking. You said that Mason "isn't good enough to be first teamer imo." Your statement was irrelevant of his position.

Maybe Bentaleb, Alli or Dembele could have the same said about them: "they'll be terrific if they played a bit further forward" etc, etc

Who knows? Poch doesn't seem to want to play Mason further forward despite it being his strongest position. Even in training. Dele Ali possibly but Bentaleb and Dembele would never excel in an advanced role for me.

Who knows? Poch doesn't seem to want to play Mason further forward despite it being his strongest position. Even in training. Dele Ali possibly but Bentaleb and Dembele would never excel in an advanced role for me.

Maybe because Poch doesn't think Mason would be better further forward than the other guys already playing there, even if that is Mason's best position?

I'd be interested to see what he's like further up the pitch, I've expressed my opinions on him quite clearly, but I've heard a few people mention he's better further up. His shooting ability makes me doubt that but I'd be interested to see it.

Yes possibly. I just hope he knows all his players strongest positions.

Serious question, obviously because of your link.... But is there a feeling within the squad that he (poch) might not.

Actually probably best not to answer that in case it gets back

Feel free to pm though :)

I too think that Mason's best position is more forward. The problem is that there's no one to play the position he's currently playing and I don't see him displacing our existing forward options. Many people have said Eriksen should play deeper, but he doesn't have the strength or defensive ability that would also be needed in that position. So switching Eriksen and Mason is not an option. However, it would be interesting to see Mason at the top of the diamond in a 4-2-1-2-1 formation. Another option would be to play him in the 10 spot and move Eriksen to the right (with Chadli staying on the left). And if all this sounds like I'm making stuff up, it's because I am! :) But gosh darn it, I like the guy and I think he's a very good player and would like to see us taking advantage of his best qualities.

I too think that Mason's best position is more forward. The problem is that there's no one to play the position he's currently playing and I don't see him displacing our existing forward options. Many people have said Eriksen should play deeper, but he doesn't have the strength or defensive ability that would also be needed in that position. So switching Eriksen and Mason is not an option. However, it would be interesting to see Mason at the top of the diamond in a 4-2-1-2-1 formation. Another option would be to play him in the 10 spot and move Eriksen to the right (with Chadli staying on the left). And if all this sounds like I'm making stuff up, it's because I am! :) But gosh darn it, I like the guy and I think he's a very good player and would like to see us taking advantage of his best qualities.

The best solution IMO is to play him as part of a 3 in a 4-3-3

We would need a defensive midfielder which we don't have, and I mean a genuine definite midfielder not just a player who has decent defensive attributes but the we could play bentelab and Mason in front along with alli or dembele or eriksen (as defensive cover is in place) and we will have a strong backbone then

The best solution IMO is to play him as part of a 3 in a 4-3-3

We would need a defensive midfielder which we don't have, and I mean a genuine definite midfielder not just a player who has decent defensive attributes but the we could play bentelab and Mason in front along with alli or dembele or eriksen (as defensive cover is in place) and we will have a strong backbone then

I think that may be the best for him but I do not see Poch changing the system ( at least not for now), and Mason ( imo) is the weak link for the way we play at the moment.

I think that may be the best for him but I do not see Poch changing the system ( at least not for now), and Mason ( imo) is the weak link for the way we play at the moment.

I'd agree with that. Mason IS the weak link in our midfield but purely because he is being played deeper than he'd like so he's having to learn a new style of play which he is happy to do for now.

The only thing I find baffling is Siggy was sold as Poch decided straight up he preferred Ryan which made me think he was gonna play Ryan in that slot behind the striker.

I know we've got Eriksen but it would be good to see them swap so Eriksen was dictating from a bit deeper maybe at home against a lesser side. If he stinks the place out them at least it'd be clear to see.

I'd agree with that. Mason IS the weak link in our midfield but purely because he is being played deeper than he'd like so he's having to learn a new style of play which he is happy to do for now.

The only thing I find baffling is Siggy was sold as Poch decided straight up he preferred Ryan which made me think he was gonna play Ryan in that slot behind the striker.

I know we've got Eriksen but it would be good to see them swap so Eriksen was dictating from a bit deeper maybe at home against a lesser side. If he stinks the place out them at least it'd be clear to see.

Good point ( especially about Siggy), I have nothing against Mason I just feel he is not good enough to do the job being asked of him. To be honest I feel sorry for him as he does tend to get stick by some ( including me) but we are wide open and he is a major part of that problem.

Someone mentioned earlier that if we played 4-3-3 the Mason would probably feel more at home and impress more which could happen, however I do not see Poch changing the system ( not yet anyway) so its wishful thinking. And unless we play a more defensive minded player in our CM I think playing Eriksen further back would lead to the same problems.

In theory I get where you're coming from, but the reason I think Mason is played deeper, despite preferring to be played further forward, would probably have to do with his work-rate and stamina. Eriksen is highly talented and would probably be good at switching the play around playing deeper, but let's be honest, he is a bit of a passenger at times. Sometimes Mason and Bentaleb through inexperience let runners get in behind them, or at least that's the impression. Can you imagine if Eriksen was playing as one of the central two midfield slots? It would be like a chicken shoot against our defence.

I don't understand this insistence from fans that there's such massive problems that desperately need fixing from last season. We finished 5th didn't we? Not a million miles off top four? Or did we finish there in spite of Mason and Bentaleb? Who by the way were both in their first full seasons at the club. Considering we were bottom half before the two were first paired together(vs Everton) then maybe they're not quite so poor as they're made out to be. I don't recall players like Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Sissoko(good lord ...) etc ever coming out on top against them when they met, yet these are players fans on here are clamouring for us to sign.

I don't understand this insistence from fans that there's such massive problems that desperately need fixing from last season. We finished 5th didn't we? Not a million miles off top four? Or did we finish there in spite of Mason and Bentaleb? Who by the way were both in their first full seasons at the club. Considering we were bottom half before the two were first paired together(vs Everton) then maybe they're not quite so poor as they're made out to be. I don't recall players like Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Sissoko(good lord ...) etc ever coming out on top against them when they met, yet these are players fans on here are clamouring for us to sign.

exactly, thats why i think Poch will go with what we already have in midfield.

Granted, but we were bailed out a lot by Kane, Eriksen and Chadli scoring in the last few minutes of games where we weren't creating much, often we scored from moments of individual brilliance. I see Saturday being a similar situation i.e. if one of the aforementioned 3 don't come up with some magic then we won't win.

Just because you finish 5th doesn't mean that players and positions do not need to be upgraded, for example, Chelsea won the league and went out and got what they believe to be a better back up goalie. If Kane was to leave for example, we would struggle.

Back