• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

If we are measuring his success against what he cost, surely we will have to factor in what we recoup. Assuming we get a fee his 7 goals in 51 games will look very similar to Rebrov's 10 in 60 but we lost Rebrov's for nothing.
I thought Rebrov scored a few more than that! To be fair he played in a very poor side though, and again he still showed his footballing quality in general play - he was never going to be an out and out goal scorer....

I disagree with this, I don't think players should be judged on individual stats in a team game, some people place far too much importance on goals.

Am I honestly reading this correctly? You are telling me that the main striker, a guy bought solely on the basis of his goal scoring record in Spain, should not be judged on the number of goals he scores? Seriously? Especially when he missed so many horrendous sitters?

Soldado has been a failure in terms of goals, which was primarily what he was bought for.

But I'm not having anyone tell me that he was a poor footballer, he had very good technique - control,passing,intelligence,could hold the ball up.

It hasn't worked out for sure, but he still contributed to our general play and even when low on confidence still demonstrated good technical ability, just a shame his shooting boots have gone AWOL....

How can you say he has a "very good technique" when his shooting accuracy is a measly 37%? You do hit the nail on the proverbial head, however... Soldado was primarily bought for goals. He has not delivered and no end of excuses can hid that simple fact.

Agreed.

While he hasn't got into the goal-scoring habit here, I put much of the blame on not playing attacking football. Not everyone is suited to the ball being push across or away from goal most of the time.

If he stays I'll be happy enough for him to play. If MoPo can't organise things better then he'll probably take a spot in a Spanish team before the season's out.

The same apparent system of "not playing attacking football" clearly because "MoPo can't organise things better" was good enough to allow a 21 year old rookie to get 30 goals in his first Premier season!!!

if as everyone says Bob cost 13 mill, and Rebrov cost 11 mill, once we sell Bob we will be better off than when we lost Rebrov for nothing

Rebrov and Bentley were the biggest Spurs flops ever

Let's get this thread back on topic. Happy for another thread to be started if people want to discuss who was our crappest striker

The same apparent system of "not playing attacking football" clearly because "MoPo can't organise things better" was good enough to allow a 21 year old rookie to get 30 goals in his first Premier season!!!

Everybody leaves one player up, and Harry is stronger than Soldado - and arrived with more confidence.

I've not seen any analysis on how many of Harry's goals came from attacking moves as opposed to box-drift.

@Superhudd @galeforce - your support of the player is admirably but, boy, is it misguided!!!

How you cannot see that he has been an abysmal failure from day 1 is simply beyond me. These arguments of better ball control etc look like desperate attempts to avoid coming to terms with this reality. Soldado was bought to score goals - end of story. If he had scored the same amount of goals as Bent did (and nothing else) - and we all know he had enough chances - we may well have had a shot at top 4 in the past two years...

As for this Moran clutching of straws... the level of failure of a player is obviously linked to his fee and salary. If I buy a second hand Skoda and bin it against a lamp post, it will be a far less traumatic experience than if I did the same with a new Porsche.

@Finney Is Back, @kanoute16 and @DTA are absolutely right; Sold-a-dud is, without doubt, our worst striker - pound for pound - since the beginning of the Premier League, if not even before.

Just because he has had a lean time of it in the Premier League does not mean he is not a good player. When people talk about incompetence on the pitch and players such as Rebrov were infinitely better you know your dealing with people that one are not willing to drop the rhetoric at any cost to fit there narrative, and two are ultimately point scoring because they believe they know best.

Soldado is and has earned the status of a good striker. A lot better than the majority that has put on the Lillywhite.

The Premier League is a league that some excellent players are found wanting whilst they excel elsewhere, that is not rhetoric, its basically the truth.

Because (imo) he was crap and the only guy I know who was 6ft 7ins tall and yet was smaller when he jumped for the ball.

and yet it was his goal that got us 4th and his goals that helped us win the CL playoff.....yes ugly to watch but there have been far worse Spurs strikers who had more talent but never delivered

So without reflecting on the crap-est of strikers we have had of yesteryear, are we all in the majority of thinking that its a good idea to let him go?

Without debating how much of a flop he is, is it a good move for Tottenham Hotspur to sell this player?

Personally I think it is best to move on from him, though I like the guy...I know he tries hard but nothing has come off from him.

He needs to go, but if Levy don't sign someone, he needs to stay. No way we go into the season with just Kane. That would be worse than going and selling Keane and Berbatov and replacing with Fraizer Campbell.

Oh look, there is another one better than Bobby. (sorry couldn't resist) :p

I think the frustration for me, obviously not knowing is I am trying to figure out what our plan is for next season, whatever they are they seem to be being help up mainly by the departure of ade, a willingness to sell Soldado as well means we have player recruitment to be done in the forward positions.

Defence is sorted so not worried about that, Midfield we have trimmed but we seem to be looking for a more defensive minded central midfielder who can play a pass.

Up top all the forwards we are linked with seem to be versatile in that they can also play the wing forward position.

I would like us to sign Austin but cant see this happening as he is just an out and out cf.

perhaps I shouldn't panic so much but there are 12 points to play for until the window closes and whatever plan we might have for the future...well lets just say we need to get things a moving quickly. (if at all possible)

yeah it looks like we are going into the new season with only one striker in our squad. Maybe none if Kane picks up a knock in our midweek games coming up.

Just because he has had a lean time of it in the Premier League does not mean he is not a good player. When people talk about incompetence on the pitch and players such as Rebrov were infinitely better you know your dealing with people that one are not willing to drop the rhetoric at any cost to fit there narrative, and two are ultimately point scoring because they believe they know best.

Soldado is and has earned the status of a good striker. A lot better than the majority that has put on the Lillywhite.

The Premier League is a league that some excellent players are found wanting whilst they excel elsewhere, that is not rhetoric, its basically the truth.

Soldado most certainly has NOT earned the title of 'good striker' not at spurs anyway.... To 'earn ' that title you have to do something good.... Bobby has done SFA.

Rebrov was better and in a worse team, he was was actually a drop off striker, but still scored more than soldado, don't think he took pens either (maybe wrong)

Crouch was not worse than Soldado in a Spurs shirt. Soldado is the worst bar Frazier Campbell that I have seen. He is worse than Darren Bent was!!

I agree completely. Crouch did an effective job for us and scored some crucial goals. Darren on occasion did too. Soldado for all his effort, work rate and like-able demeanor has be an absolute disaster. And he has missed some very easy chances, never clicked in the side and been dropped by three managers. He was he wrong player at the wrong time. I wish him well. But he is non effective for us and the sooner he goes the better.

Crouch, Soldado, F. Campbell...the worst, what planet are you lot on?

Anyone remember Rasiak? By far the worst Spurs striker I've ever seen, so out of his depth and just awful.

Back