• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp Vs AVB vs Jol

Your favorite recent (successful) manager

• Jol

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • AVB

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters
But when those players weren't gettable who was next on the list? I remember him stating that he wanted Tevez too, but when he wasn't gettable who was the next target? Saha?

This summer we've reportedly and seemingly moved from David Villa to Benteke to Soldado in weeks when the first two of those didn't pan out.

I can't remember something like that happening under Redknapp, any manager can draw up a list of players they want that are just at the edge between plausible and impossible and have a good few players on there.

I agree that they are all good managers.

I do wonder how Redknapp was able to spend £40-45m on Defoe, Palacios, Keane and Chimbonda in his first transfer window followed by another £25m+ on Crouch, Bassong, Kranjcar and the Kyles in his second transfer window without the true backing of Levy and the board. I also wonder how much we would have spent if they had backed him...

you mean that year when the board REALLY didnt want the risk of relegation and so they probably broke the record of money spent in the winter transfer window? that one? If you cant figure out that they were absolutely dead against a relegation scrap and so gave harry what he wanted for that window then we will be in for a loong discussion LOL

how much money did we spend on those guys? crouch, bassong, and the kyles?

aside from that we were after the kyles badly BEFORE harry came here..so i wouldnt count that really backing the guy as opposed to procuring assets

where did you get the sums from anyway?

:ross: :ross:

You really think after EIGHT games we were destined for relegation. He didn't SAVE us from relegation at all. He got us to a respectable league position that year too and got us performing very well the following year with an outstanding squad to get us Champions League football. He did well in the CL and we did well in the league. He flopped hard in his final few months at the club causing us to miss out on the CL by finishing third.

It was an achievement yes, but he has nothing to show for it. No trophies, no silverware, nothing. He gave us some memorable nights, just like Jol did, just like AVB has done, heck even Juande Ramos gave us memorable nights. Who was the better of the three? fudge knows, who the fudge cares, I support Tottenham, they've all been brilliant to us in their own ways but AVB is our manager right now so how about we just get behind him instead of living in the fudging past, yeah?

he saved us from a relegation scrap. Only people that have never really played in teams, or coached teams or are Superman dont understand what confidence and disbeilief in their own abilities does to performance.....it strips it clean and the team you see is just a shadow of the team you really can be

11 votes in the poll so far and yet not one for Redknapp?, strange seeing as there are those who are kissing his arse :)

probably to busy actually contributing to this soon to be monster of thread LOL

edit :- not to mention that fact it actually shows fairness and lack of bias. people can stand up and defend a guy that did good things for us even though he isnt our 'Favourite'. Most others dont like someone and totally ignore everything they did and focus on just what little stuff they can make up

What I'm saying is that the financial reports from that CL season didn't show a £30m profit. Please show me your source for your claim if you disagree.

And why would there be a £30m earned from that CL run? We had a £20m net transfer spend. A guesstimated (at best) £200k p/w or £10m increase in our wage budget and the additional bonuses you already mentioned. Where's the profit? To me it seems that we already spent it the summer before the CL run (summer of 2010). Unless you can show me some numbers from somewhere showing that we actually made a profit close to what you're stating.

If they're not your calculations, do you mind linking to your source?

where are you getting your information from? the agent fees, the net spend of 25 million plus, and the lack of profit in any given fiscal year. Do you have a link you can get us too? i am yet to see a window of intent like this one...and i am yet to see a window for redknapp where it looked like we got him the players he wanted absent recouping the money somehow

For me both of the "collapses" under Redknapp were down to lack of squad investment in the transfer windows, ESPECIALLY January. The back up player simply weren't good enough and the first team players ran out of steam. We also lacked key cover in certain areas that was never addressed until this transfer window (natural wide player for Lennon). Under Redknapp our first XI's were good enough for what we wanted to achieve, but the squad never was. And that was his biggest failure. Whether it was of his own making we'll never know.

There's absolutely no way we would have missed out on 3rd in the 11/12 season had Arry been allowed to bring the players he wanted in, in the January window.

There's absolutely no way we would have missed out on 3rd in the 11/12 season had Arry been allowed to bring the players he wanted in, in the January window.

i think we missed out on third cause of the England Job....., infact it seems pretty clear to me thats what caused it

not to mention , you wouldnt want to spend money on a person that you dont think will be here in a years time

i think we missed out on third cause of the England Job....., infact it seems pretty clear to me thats what caused it

not to mention , you wouldnt want to spend money on a person that you dont think will be here in a years time

That wasn't the only occasion Levy failed to back him up financially so not sure that was the reason Levy didn't back him.

Difficult to compare someone who has just had one season under his belt. I will say though that I believe AVB will give Spurs the intelligence to do the right thing. As frustrating as it can be, I particularly like the patient game we play against teams who park the bus, slowly grinding them down.

Bale's performances however may have papered over some cracks but then again, perhaps without him - we may have played differently? Ade's Jekyll and Hyde didn't help either.

All have been successful to a degree, it's evolution - we had to have the Jol's and Arry's to get to where we are IMO. At least we're not that mid-table side from the recent decades with such poor players (getting excited by the likes of signings such a Vega!).

I also prefer the way AVB conducts himself to the media (alright, the croaky voice is a tad irritating :D).

Jol was lovely, very very likeable.

I liked Arry too, he gave the players confidence when he started his tenure, players we were losing mentally. That said, hated him in the media and went off him during the England manager business.

AVB will be big for us, might not be as cuddly or 'lad next door' like the other but I think we've found our man.

spot on.

and when he did it was usually something pathetic like putting Kranjcar on the right.

take it you didnt like the wonky then. btw its a formation or style of inverted wide men that we have played MORE than playing orthodox wingers?

take it you didnt like the wonky then. btw its a formation or style of inverted wide men that we have played MORE than playing orthodox wingers?

I didn't mind it when we had players who could play the position, not Niko on the right. In fact I loved it when our team consisted of Bale at left back, Modric/Niko on the left and Lennon on the right.

If AVB had the players that either Jol or Redknapp had we would have more trophies in our cabinet.
With Modric last season or with King and Woodgate or Keane and Berbatov. And Crouch would never have come to Spurs.
But I agree with Mumorn..the past is dead and buried. Onwards and upwards..!!

Jol - made me fall in love with Tottenham again, some great times with the team and fans as one

Harry - under him I saw us in the CL and saw some of the best football ever played in this country, we were the entertainers

AVB - we are now a team and a great team at that, considering our stadium size and the fact we have no sugar daddy

Jol - made me fall in love with Tottenham again, some great times with the team and fans as one

Well put, sums it up nicely, plus we had the - at the time - novel experience of grinding out wins

Harry - under him I saw us in the CL and saw some of the best football ever played in this country, we were the entertainers
I guess both Harry and MJ were victims of raised expectations. Under HR we saw that Bale hat trick, but we were also the nearly men too often :-(

I echo most people on here

Jol - the most loveable although wasnt the best football but it was good enough for me.

Harry - the type of football that mae me so so excited to go to WHL. The type of football that got me up off my seat. Great entertainers werent we.

AVB - Methodical football, one that has structure but doesnt get me off my seat as much if at all.

Jol to me is somewhat in between both redknapp and avb, a very regular manager. We had sone talent with berbs and keane, but jol couldnt figure out how to keep a lead with 10 mins remaining. still i rate him highly and definitely a good all rounder, deserving to challenge in the top half of the table. i actually think he will do well in a club with a lot of trust, like liverpool :) The problem with this is that he can't standout against avb and redknapp, and will soon be forgotten in the Spurs annals for the job he did helping us take a step up with a very young inexperienced team .

I would like to point out that I will never forget Martin Jol. I am 28, and he was the first manager to me that made more than his means.

AVB - we are now a team and a great team at that, considering our stadium size and the fact we have no sugar daddy

Well put, I agree 100%

you mean that year when the board REALLY didnt want the risk of relegation and so they probably broke the record of money spent in the winter transfer window? that one? If you cant figure out that they were absolutely dead against a relegation scrap and so gave harry what he wanted for that window then we will be in for a loong discussion LOL

how much money did we spend on those guys? crouch, bassong, and the kyles?

aside from that we were after the kyles badly BEFORE harry came here..so i wouldnt count that really backing the guy as opposed to procuring assets

where did you get the sums from anyway?

So they were forced to back him financially because of the threat of relegation so it doesn't count?

I get the sums the same place as everyone else, based on what is reported in the media and put up on websites. They are estimates for sure and can obviously be off in either direction, but I don't think they're likely to be off by a massive amount to where the argument becomes invalid.

Crouch was reported as around £9m, Bassong around £8m, the Kyles around £6-8m combined and Kranjcar around £2.5m. If you want to argue about the details of these deals I'm not really interested, feel free to drop the estimates in my posts by 25% and I think my arguments still stand.

where are you getting your information from? the agent fees, the net spend of 25 million plus, and the lack of profit in any given fiscal year. Do you have a link you can get us too? i am yet to see a window of intent like this one...and i am yet to see a window for redknapp where it looked like we got him the players he wanted absent recouping the money somehow

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Tottenham%20Hotspur

For agent fees and lack of profit in recent years. Net spend estimate explained above. There has been a profit in some years (latest 2009 I think), but then mainly from selling players - fiscal years don't rally line up with transfer windows and all that.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/12/tottenham-grounds-for-optimism-or.html

This article isn't exactly 100% up to date, but provides some interesting background to our financial situation.

I will await my evaluation of this window until the window actually closes. Particularly when talking about the absence of recouping money.

Back