• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

capitalism in action, who gives a fudge what their politics are, this is a good deal

Perhaps but the UK Government are the biggest wailers in the world when it comes to the politics of other regimes; mostly in a holier-than-thou way that smacks of grand hypocrisy. This should be remembered whenever any other holier-than-thou Politician calls for economic sanctions etc on other countries due to "human rights" etc.

Perhaps but the UK Government are the biggest wailers in the world when it comes to the politics of other regimes; mostly in a holier-than-thou way that smacks of grand hypocrisy. This should be remembered whenever any other holier-than-thou Politician calls for economic sanctions etc on other countries due to "human rights" etc.

I don't think people forget, I think they mostly just don't care.

Vote or voted?

Interesting to see that there are no "Tory papers" at all - The Telegraph being the most at about 60 something %. There's at least two you could describe a "Labour Papers" though.

I believe it is how thy voted in May. There are six papers where the Tories have a higher share of the vote than they received at the general election, I think that probably makes them Tory papers.

I believe it is how thy voted in May. There are six papers where the Tories have a higher share of the vote than they received at the general election, I think that probably makes them Tory papers.
None are anywhere near the levels of support the Mirror and the Grauniad have for Labour though. There are two papers that are clearly one party papers and they're both Labour.

How many of the electorate actually read "a paper" - many people use multiple news sources and sources other than those above to create balanced opinion

7 million is about 1/6 of the UK adult (and UKIP voters) population. Only 2/3 of that population vote anyway and most of the sun,mirror & star readers do it for sport&tits, so I really don't think it holds much weight as a stat.
I wholeheartedly agree the press has influence on policy and thinking via their editorial content (and a qualitative analysis of that would show which paper is Tory v Lab etc) and dresses it up as "public opinion"

I wholeheartedly agree the press has influence on policy and thinking via their editorial content (and a qualitative analysis of that would show which paper is Tory v Lab etc) and dresses it up as "public opinion"

What is covered on the news at the start of the day is set by the Today programme and they take their lead from the morning papers. One example would be during the election the Telegraph got extensive news coverage for the letter from business leaders criticising Labour's economic policies. Most of the signatories were Tory donors and the letter was orchestrated by Conservative Central Office. On the face of it, the letter should not have got any coverage elsewhere but it was the lead story on broadcast news that day and continued to get coverage for a couple of days after.

Absolutely hilarious - and depressing!:D:(

==========================================================================

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...his-local-council-about-cuts-to-services.html

David Cameron has become embroiled in a bizarre row with his local council after he complained about cuts to frontline services that it blames on the government slashing its budget.

The Prime Minister wrote to Oxfordshire County Council leader Ian Hudspeth to say he is "disappointed" at proposed "cuts to frontline services, from elderly day centres, to libraries, to museums".

Mr Cameron, who is the MP for Oxfordshire's Witney constituency, warned in a letter leaked to the local newspaper that the council should "move cautiously in setting out its budget plans" and that the government had not yet announced how much the council would receive in central government grants next year.

He also advised that the council should sell off excess council property to help fund vital services.

But Mr Hudspeth replied to remind the PM that he "worked hard to assist you in achieving a Conservative majority" and suggested that the cuts were needed as a result of government funding being slashed.

Mr Cameron said that while there had been a "slight fall" in government grants much of the apparent cut-back was due to a re-allocation of school funding from local education authorities to academies. He said the council's spending power had actually increased by 1.3 per cent.

Mr Hudspeth hit back by saying he would not describe the government's grant dropping from £194million in 2009/10 to just £122million this year as a "slight fall".

The council leader said that the local authority had also reduced its staffing levels by 3,000 people since 2010.

He added that Mr Cameron's suggestion to sell off land would be "neither legal, nor sustainable in the long-term since they are one-off receipts".

A spokeswoman for the prime minister said: "There is still significant scope for sensible savings across local government to be made by back office consolidation, disposing of surplus property and joining up our local public services; we will be discussing with Oxfordshire how this can be taken forward to help protect frontline services."

Corbyn just on BBC news saying if he was prime minister he would not give the police a shoot to kill order to police or SAS if a similar sort of terrorist attack to Paris happened in England.

Look being left or right is your decision but seriously this guy is dangerous to this country, Labour members get rid of him and bring in someone else, this guy is far to extreme.

Jeremy Corbyn says he is "not happy" with UK police or security services operating a "shoot-to-kill" policy in the event of a terror attack.

The Labour leader told the BBC such an approach could "often be counter-productive".

He also declined to answer what he called the "hypothetical question" of whether he would ever back military intervention against extremists.

"I'm not saying I would or I wouldn't," he said.

Back