• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Tories won by 20 votes here, they rigged the selection process to send the chairman here from Durham thinking it was a safe seat. Pretty much equal 3 way between tories, labour and reform.

Labour only got 34% share of the vote, pretty poor performance vote wise. I thought it would be higher.

Farage is going to be on a mission to change first past the post.

Is it?
I mean it’s spread around the country and focussed on naive voters
You always get silly people with big voices
I think it is. It shows how the wide scope of policy making in ffp can silence voices; and that it's now possible to genuinely challenge that.
Lab 33% (410 seats)
Con 23% (120)
Reform 14% (4)
Lib 12% (80)

That's clearly not a balanced and representative democracy.
And if a party treats voters with poor representation it can be seriously hurt at the ballot box by the kind of movement from Reform, and from the independents that took seats on narrow issues: an independent being elected is huge.

It should act as a warning to Labour.
As should the actual results - it's huge in seat volumes, it's very tight in lots of areas.

It's also a lot deeper than just silly people with loud voices. 14% is a lot of people. Reform came very very close in lots of areas; it was only a small margin that stopped them getting 70-100 seats instead of 4.

It's also no coincidence that they got Clacton, Great Yarmouth and Skegness/Boston.

We now have 100 ish MPs that will bang the drum for electoral reform, as well as some Labour MPs.

Watching Downing Street pictures on TV brings home how the world has changed, as a kid my dad use to take me down Whitehall to see the horse guards and through Downing Street and across the park to Buckingham Palace on our Sunday morning walks.
He's not an MP. Having a lords leader would be halfway back to absolute monarchy

He can take "the chiltern hundreds" as Anthony Wedgewood-Benn did.

sickening to see how many votes Reform got to be honest. I guess it's in line with UKIP and the usual far right bellends.

Unfortunately if you asked a Reform voter to explain why they voted for them without saying the word immigration, you won't get far. Now it's easy to promise the moon when you don't have to deliver it, surprising people fall for it.

I think it is. It shows how the wide scope of policy making in ffp can silence voices; and that it's now possible to genuinely challenge that.
Lab 33% (410 seats)
Con 23% (120)
Reform 14% (4)
Lib 12% (80)

And if a party treats voters with poor representation it can be seriously hurt at the ballot box by the kind of movement from Reform, and from the independents that took seats on narrow issues: an independent being elected is huge.

As should the actual results - it's huge in seat volumes, it's very tight in lots of areas.

It's also a lot deeper than just silly people with loud voices. 14% is a lot of people. Reform came very very close in lots of areas; it was only a small margin that stopped them getting 70-100 seats instead of 4.

It's also no coincidence that they got Clacton, Great Yarmouth and Skegness/Boston.

We now have 100 ish MPs that will bang the drum for electoral reform, as well as some Labour MPs.
Are there 5-6m silly people?...easily imo.

They're disaffected, I get it. But they're vulnerable to dog whistling and false reasoning and misdirection on why the country, and by continuation, their lives look as they do.

With modern channels and the algorithms of the world, one (eg Reform) can press their buttons in quick order, using the language of blame and offering nothing but sound bites of a future that's solely based on divisiveness.

Reform after pretty much 4 weeks with 14% of the vote is massive for them

4 weeks? Somewhat disingenuous, although what the BBC was trying to sell last night as well.

Reform is UKIP re-packaged and Farage and his megaphonic mouth have been given plenty of over-exposure on the BBC and in other media outlets for a decade at least.

It is a big result, no doubt, but they aren't this miraculous start up, they are very tech savvy (just like the Brexit campaign). This might not be their high water mark but they won't be the official opposition or forming a government any time soon.

Amusing to hear losing Tory mp's on radio, one derided the voting system, didn't give a fudge when they were winning, an other crying the public had lost faith in politicians without realising they were the major reason for that.
Most are like that, but i thought Sunak and Hunt were both surprisingly dignified and decent. A sign of the health of our democracy compared to say the US

Watching Downing Street pictures on TV brings home how the world has changed, as a kid my dad use to take me down Whitehall to see the horse guards and through Downing Street and across the park to Buckingham Palace on our Sunday morning walks.

He can take "the chiltern hundreds" as Anthony Wedgewood-Benn did.
You can still get into parliament as a guest of your mp, which is an amazing experience for anyone.

Cameron would need to bump off someone to get a by-election first. No good for the immediate vacancy (unless he feeds Osborne enough cocaine and sets him on a really urgent mission)

Lab 33% (410 seats)
Con 23% (120)
Reform 14% (4)
Lib 12% (80)

The people I know from those towns happen to be quite racist and angry at the amount of immigrants dropped on their door steps

14% of a vote spread over the whole of the UK just shows that there isn’t a majority of people who want them in power. It’s a spread and could easily be skewed by every towns very own racist dingdongheads

Are there 5-6m silly people?...easily imo.

They're disaffected, I get it. But they're vulnerable to dog whistling and false reasoning and misdirection on why the country, and by continuation, their lives look as they do.

With modern channels and the algorithms of the world, one (eg Reform) can press their buttons in quick order, using the language of blame and offering nothing but sound bites of a future that's solely based on divisiveness.
Yep
Those folk believe Facebook and fake media
They still read the daily Nazi and think it’s all brown folk that cause the issues
I saw it yesterday and it never goes away. Just now the have a “legit” voice.

Yep
Those folk believe Facebook and fake media
They still read the daily Nazi and think it’s all brown folk that cause the issues
I saw it yesterday and it never goes away. Just now the have a “legit” voice.

It's amazing how long people like Farage and Trump can continue grifting while doing nothing to fix all the issues they moan about.

Back