• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham vs. Everton

I have a bad feeling about this ...

Not that sure - I think its tough but they're missing Fellaini and Pienaar as well and possibly Mirallas as well. They're midfield and forwards look brick; one goal either way could well win it today

I predict AVB will set up with

Parker ---- Livermore

Holtby ------ Dembele-------- Siggy

Ade

I hope not, we'll get mullered with only 6 players on the pitch and no goalie :)

Seriously though, have a feeling he will stick with Parker/Dembele pairing with Dempsey in behind Ade, although I'd like to see Holtby in that role with Dempsey out wide

Im not sure what line up he'll go for but Holtby will be picjed in front of Demosey if it's an either/or situation

1 sub appearance in 6 weeks for Dempsey i believe

Im not sure what line up he'll go for but Holtby will be picjed in front of Demosey if it's an either/or situation

1 sub appearance in 6 weeks for Dempsey i believe

Dempsey's been injured. Both Dempsey and Holtby are likely to start today given our injuries

I can't watch this, which is annoying. More annoyingly it'll probably be on the radio in the kitchen at work. I'd much rather be able to blank it out and just see the FT result to avoid the stress that comes with listening to football as opposed to watching it.

I'm feeling quite good about today though, we seem like sensitive souls on here at the moment, one good game and it's plain sailing, one bad one and it's a fudging war zone, we need to remember the quality we have in the team and hope we have a system which will enable us to use it on the pitch today. I think the players will be particularly up for it as it's a chance to make a name for themselves in the absence of Bale. After the Goodison Park game we should be wanting revenge.

Sig to finally get his glorious goal that he's been either a worldy save from the keeper or about 2/3's of an inch away from all season.

I can't watch this, which is annoying. More annoyingly it'll probably be on the radio in the kitchen at work. I'd much rather be able to blank it out and just see the FT result to avoid the stress that comes with listening to football as opposed to watching it.

I'm feeling quite good about today though, we seem like sensitive souls on here at the moment, one good game and it's plain sailing, one bad one and it's a fudging war zone, we need to remember the quality we have in the team and hope we have a system which will enable us to use it on the pitch today. I think the players will be particularly up for it as it's a chance to make a name for themselves in the absence of Bale. After the Goodison Park game we should be wanting revenge.

Sig to finally get his glorious goal that he's been either a worldy save from the keeper or about 2/3's of an inch away from all season.

3 days ago?

OK, this would be my team (I doubt he will play it)...taking Lennon to be injured...

Lloris

Walker
Caulker
Dawson
Verts

Hudd

Sig
Parker
Holtby

Dembele

Ade

subs: Brad, BAE, Naughton, Dempsey, Carroll (if fit), Obika, Livermore

My rationale is that you cannot manufacture width if you don't have it naturally. I see us as having to really grind one out tomm, and so we really have to take a bit of a gamble.
My gamble would be to sit Hudd in front of the back four, play an industrious midfield trio and allow Dembele a freer role to float behind Ade. The hope is that Hudd can hit the front earlier with pinpoint passing. It would see Ade very much playing as FORWARD and not as a 'drop-off' frontman.

IF Hudd is simply brick, then EITHER BAE on and Verts into a holding midfield role OR Dembele back into a straight 'four' with Dempsey on as the link to Ade.

Of course I do not think AVB WILL start with this, but I think it'd be a line-up designed to get the very best out of what we have versus trying to manufacture pace which we clearly will not have like we usually do.

Think you're pretty much on the money with this one though I would change slightly and say that Hudd/Parker play centrally in deeper roles whilst Sigg/Holtby are higher up alongside Dembele. Dembele's dribbling skills could be key for opening Everton up today. Don't want to see Demspey start as well as it would leave us zero attacking options on the bench. Better to have at least one option.

Sounds like I'm the only one really looking forwards to the game!!!
What struck me about the Basel match is that we have a really promising core of young players.
I was looking at the team and thinking, wow: Siggy early 20's, Holtby the same, Caulker (if he plays), Dembele only 25, Walker 22.
Then we have Vertonghen, probably about 25, Lloris not even in his prime yet, Lennon and Bale about 25 and 23.

Apart from Bale, I can't see any of those players leaving next season. That's a seriously promising core of international players all extremely young. Its a given that we'll sign a more a appropriate central midfielder or two, hopefully (!) a young striker, then add that to the likes of Kaboul (28ish) and a young progressive manager and the future looks extremely bright.

I don't think many commentators are picking up on just how young the core of the team is. I think with a couple of additions we're going to be looking properly strong next year, regardless of where we finish this.

Also, people bang on about Bale going, but they all neglect to mention that AVB will then have a good 50 - 70 million to invest in his own players. No-one wants to lose their best players, but its realistic to say we could even emerge from any Bale deal stronger for it. I reckon we might sign Ledesma from Lazio, but that's just a punt.

I don't see a future in our squad for the Parker's and Dempseys necessarily, but we'll wait and see on that score too.

In relation to todays game - i'm actually looking forward to it. I want to see how our young guys face up to the not inconsiderable challenge Everton provide. Siggy is showing signs that he could well be a 10-15 goal player yet and Holtby has been promising in flashes. He's probably going to get a 2-3 game unbroken run in the side - might be just what he needs. Take away all the Bale fan fare and media circle jerking and the siggys and Holtbys might step out the shadow.

I don't know if we'll win or lose today, I think it might be a draw. I have to be honest and say I don't think we'll get champions league - but at the same time I don't think the squad we have now is balanced or good enough to do it. We aren't as good as Chelsea or Arsenal unfortunately.

But i'm optimistic about next season anyway - add the returning Rose, Sandro and Kaboul to the group I discussed earlier and the future is looking extremely rosy.

Today im going for 1-1 and our champ league chances to start to fade.

Last edited:
This is a must-win match for us if we want to stay in the top 4 race. But playing Everton have always been difficult in recent times. This is going to be even more difficult without Bale and Lennon. Without Bale, we need inspiration from somewhere to score goals. Performance is really not important in this match as what we need is a win and 3 points. We need effective football rather than pretty football in this match. So, won't mind how we play or score goals as long as we win. Hope players like Sigurdsson, Dembele, Dempsey and even Adebayor will step up their game to help us beat Everton.

Without Bale, it is going to be interesting who will lead our attack. Want to see both Adebayor and Dempsey start in attack. It is encouraging to see Adebayor scoring in 2 consecutive European match. Hope scoring against Basel have increased his hunger to score goals. Dempsey was scoring important goals earlier in the season. Hope he will find back his goal scoring boots in this match. But with both not in a good goal scoring form, it is important for both to help each other. Want to see them passing to each other to score goals. I think that is the only way for both to score in this match.

I think this match will be won or lost in midfield. We just cannot afford to let Everton dominate the midfield. Dembele and Parker really need to step up their game in this match. After playing against Basel, can see them being tired in this match, especially Parker. But they cannot let tiredness overcome them. Want to see Dembele going forward more to help our attacks and even try to score goals. We are going to need all the help we can get to score in this match. Without Bale and Lennon, Sigurdsson and Holtby need to take over their role in helping our attacks. Nice to see Sigurdsson scoring in recent matches. Hope he can continue that goal scoring form in this match.

Our defence have not kept a clean sheet in the last 6 league matches. It will be of great help to us if they can keep a clean sheet in this match. Hope Lloris will come back in goal as he deals with crosses better than Friedel. Not sure who will be a better partner to Vertonghen in defence. Dawson have the experience but Caulker will pose a greater aerial threat to Everton during corners. It will be better if all 3 start as Vertonghen will help our attacks more than BAE. Just hope we will avoid any unforced errors in defence especially Walker. Hope he has learned a thing or two from that bad back pass against Liverpool.

With Arsenal and Chelsea being so close to us in the league table, we cannot afford to feck up in this match. We need to make use of all the chances we get to score goals and win. Being at home, there is no reason whatsoever why we cannot beat Everton even without Bale. Just hope we will turn up with the positive mindset to go all out to beat Everton.

Any official team news yet ?

Feel very nervous about this match. Just don't care how we play or score as long as we win !

Sounds like I'm the only one really looking forwards to the game!!!
What struck me about the Basel match is that we have a really promising core of young players.
I was looking at the team and thinking, wow: Siggy early 20's, Holtby the same, Caulker (if he plays), Dembele only 25, Walker 22.
Then we have Vertonghen, probably about 25, Lloris not even in his prime yet, Lennon and Bale about 25 and 23.

Apart from Bale, I can't see any of those players leaving next season. That's a seriously promising core of international players all extremely young. Its a given that we'll sign a more a appropriate central midfielder or two, hopefully (!) a young striker, then add that to the likes of Kaboul (28ish) and a young progressive manager and the future looks extremely bright.

I don't think many commentators are picking up on just how young the core of the team is. I think with a couple of additions we're going to be looking properly strong next year, regardless of where we finish this.

Indeed! Add to that our manager's age too!

Azza and Verts will both turn 26 later this month, still young (well it is to me! :D)

This is a must win game and should be treated as a cup final as should the 2nd leg of the quarter final which is another cup final....:-k

#THFC team: Lloris, Walker, Caulker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Parker, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Holtby, Dempsey & Adebyaor

The Everton team vs #THFC today: Howard, Coleman, Baines, Heitinga, Distin, Jagielka, Gibson, Mirallas, Osman, Barkley & Anichebe

Back