• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace

His final three games for Toulouse were at CB.

Code:
35 	04.05.13 	- 	Toulouse 	- 	Lille		4:2 	CB 	  	  	  						90 	Spielbericht
36 	11.05.13 	- 	Marseille 	- 	Toulouse	2:1 	CB 	  	  	  						90 	Spielbericht
37 	18.05.13 	- 	Sochaux 	- 	Toulouse	1:2 	CB 	  	  	  	40 	76 				76 	Spielbericht

Well that bodes well.

But does anyone know if he was any good?

I really am looking forward to seeing us play. I want to see where we are strong and our weaknesses. Right now I feel our fullbacks and potentially wingers/wide forwards will let us down. The spine is strong. But who knows we'll find out more after a few games in.

They seem to want their team to line up something like this:

------------- Speroni
Ward - Gabbidon - Delaney - Moxey
-----Campana ----- Jedinak
Gayle ------- Dobbie ----- Williams
------------ Chamakh

Jerome Thomas and Elliot Grandin are other possibilities. Phillips on the bench obviously.

Campana has played 45 mins twice this pre season? Even if he shakes of the injury that is no sort of match fitness.
Chamakh hasn't played at all for Arsenal.
Seen as though none of our squad have played 90 mins we can't add players who haven't or have hardly played.
Quality we can't compete on but fitness we can, and will have to as in most matches we will be chasing the ball, so I find it utterly bizzare that our match fitness conditioning could not be there.

ah, the same defence that let in many goals in the championship. unbelievable we have not strengthened in this area. and the teams being mentioned so far are weaker than the teams that was put out a division below

Up until we suddenly kept 3 clean sheets in the play offs we had conceded 2 or more goals in 7 of the last 11 games of the season. We have quantity rather than quality in defence (except for Ward) and will concede goals for fun in the Premier League unless we strengthen.

Use Chamakh to get the long balls (sigh) down and onto Gayle, from some of his highlights Chamakh is a decent dribbler due to his stature and has a better chance of scoring further out.

dont give a toss what the team is. just amazing to see a thread entitled "team v spurs" considering how close it was to being " team v port vale " just three yrs ago

Chamakh and Gayle can interchange, but I like the idea of Chamakh winning headers against Spurs' left back.

12 players is my preference as well but maybe we should have 2 keepers instead of 5 midfielders.

According to expert pundit Dean Holdsworth on SSN earlier we are lining up with a 4-4-2, with a Midfield...

Dobbie - Williams - O'keefe - Thomas

The fact we haven't added to the back four is absolutely criminal.

Reading the season previews in the Guardian I was struck by just how many of the fans picked to provide the comments all thought their club's defence was the weak link.

2,8,1 with the ball that will turn into a 2,9,0 when we lose it. See below

Speroni, Price

KG, Ward, Ramage, Jedi, Delaney, Moxey, Parr, Parsons

Wilbraham (drop back when we lose possession)

We have one defender who is prem quality and that is Ward. Delaney could be prem quality, I don't see it. Moxey against wingers is the most frightening thought though. New signings need to be announced today, and one of them NEEDS to be a defender, of some sort.

really them losing Bale means very little to me, I think Spurs have very quietly spent so much money this summer, it's not even a headline signing but they've just spend another 9m on a player today!!

This must put our situation into context, they've been spending left, right and centre, what were are up against on Sunday is a million miles from anything we were up against last season. But with Selhurst behind the boys and everyone up for it, we can make things happen

so we have 2 fit center backs? Guess this is a big chance for Quade Taylor or Alex Wynter.

What an absolute shower.

One meaningful pre season game, no defenders signed, and most of the others we have signed are injury prone and already crocked.

This is where we find out how good Holloway really is. Totally out-thought Poyet and Zola in the play-offs... what can he do in the big league? It's a very different place to when he was there with Blackpool.

I really don't know how this is going to go. We'll either be the whipping boys and walloped every week, starting with a 0-4 against Spurs... or we'll turn out to be rather good actually and pick up more points than any of us dreamed possible.

Sunday? Heart says a surprise 2-0 win, Chamakh and Gayle opening their account in the 67th and 89th minutes respectively; head says they'll be too strong and a 0-3 reverse, through a Delaney OG and two from Soldado.

I really am looking forward to seeing us play. I want to see where we are strong and our weaknesses. Right now I feel our fullbacks and potentially wingers/wide forwards will let us down. The spine is strong. But who knows we'll find out more after a few games in.

Last year we didn't have a convincing midfield. This year we're stocked! Very excited about us having a settled quality midfield. Rose and Walker are similar with Walker more established and hopefully calmer now. For me Rose is similar to how Walker was, a little raw defensively but exciting going forward. They are both the same age, so I hope they can mature together and kick on. They're both talented and dedicated, which is a good start!

I think you're right. We'll need to wait 10 games for the side to settle. In the mean time, we'll hopefully pickup points. AVB has proved a master at getting points despite not having ideal preparation or amazing performances.

If Verts is ready:

Lloris
Walker Dawson Verts Rose
Paulinho Capoue Dembele
Lennon* Soldado Chadli

*Could easily be Townsend.

I think that team should be good enough to beat C.P.

Buzzing already for the season to start my team would be:

-----------------Lloris------------------

Walker------Kaboul---Dawson-------Rose

---------Paulinho------Dembele--------

Townsend-------Sigurdsson---------Chadli

---------------Soldado-------------------

Bench: Friedel, BAE, Lennon, Adebayor, Defoe, Capoue, Vertonghen

Buzzing already for the season to start my team would be:

-----------------Lloris------------------

Walker------Kaboul---Dawson-------Rose

---------Paulinho------Dembele--------

Townsend-------Sigurdsson---------Chadli

---------------Soldado-------------------

Bench: Friedel, BAE, Lennon, Adebayor, Defoe, Capoue, Vertonghen

That would be my team too. But I bet AVB will start with Lennon.

I'd go 4-4-2 with the current squad.

--------------Lloris---------------
Walker---Dawson---Kaboul----Ekotto
Lennon--Sandro---Dembele---Townsend
----------Soldado---Adebayor---

With Bale and Vertonghen out that's probably our best and most balanced XI. Paulinho and Chadli can then be blooded slowly (in place of Dembele and Townsend I'd imagine).

With our midfield being completely devoid of flair and creativity and with at least one of our wide men not really suited to a 433 or more advanced inside forward position, I really really hope we don't play one up top.....

4-2-3-1 was awesome for us in away games last season, so I'm guessing we'll line up that way for our opener.

Assuming Vertonghen isn't quite ready, then I think it will be:

---------------lloris
walker---dawson----kaboul---rose
--------paulinho----dembele
--lennon------sig--------chadli
------------soldaddy

bench: friedel, naughton, fryers, capoue, sandro, townsend, defoe. (sandro and capoue won't be rushed into things imo. Kaboul looked good to go v Espanyol, so he will start I think).

Looking at that lineup, you can see why -- even if we keep Bale -- we might want to bring in Lamela and/or Willian. Would make a huge difference to the quality we have in the final third.

Ian Holloway's insomnia at Crystal Palace worsened by Prozone addiction

The manager has been burning the midnight oil to devise a plan that will prevent Palace going straight back down

Ian Holloway is exhausted and the season has not even started yet. A good night's sleep is a pipe dream. Instead, Holloway has found himself staying up watching videos, analysing opponents and scouting potential signings, all in a bid to give Crystal Palace the best possible chance of Premier League survival, which the majority of pundits expect to be beyond them.

It seems an unenviable task and Holloway cut a weary, frustrated figure at Palace's training ground this week as the disappointment of missing out on Darren Bent, who signed for Fulham, and worries about the thinness of his squad take their toll. Such is life for the manager of a newly-promoted side.

"You can ask my wife what time I finish and what time I start," Holloway said. "She'll tell you, last night it was half past 12, watching clips. I'm trying to play catch-up. Half past 12. I'm having to watch players and players and players. I don't think this time last year Crystal Palace would have had a scouting network going through the whole of Europe to find players to play in the Premier League. It's tiring."

However, it will all be worth it if Holloway can achieve the impossible and keep Palace in the top flight. The odds are against him and so is history – Palace have been relegated in each of their previous four seasons in the revamped top division. However, a deeper concern is Holloway's fear that his squad is not ready to take on such a daunting challenge. He has lost his star player, Wilfried Zaha, to Manchester United, Glenn Murray, who scored 31 goals last season, damaged his cruciate ligament in May and Palace will face Tottenham Hotspur at Selhurst Park on Sunday with a squad depleted by injuries. Holloway fears he will not be able to fill his 25-man squad unless he adds to the eight signings he has already made.

None of this, though, should lead to the assumption that there is a defeatist air around Palace, who have made a habit of confounding expectations under Holloway, who replaced Dougie Freedman as manager last November after the Scot joined Bolton Wanderers.

Palace were not even expected to challenge for promotion, they were expected to lose to Brighton & Hove Albion in their play-off semi-final and they were expected to go down to Watford in the final. They are used to people writing them off. The response tends to be one of defiance.

"I think people are just quoting stats and good luck to them – everybody's got to earn a living doing whatever they do," Holloway said. "But it's amazing what can motivate you. We will want to be as good as we can be and keep working hard. That's all you'll see from my team, no matter what. We'll keep fighting, we'll keep battling and I remember 60 or 70 days ago that we were written off in the play-offs. Even after the first game in the play-offs, people wrote us off. Even after the first half of the first game of the play-offs."

Holloway was in a similar position with Blackpool three years ago. They were also tipped to be battered from pillar to post after going up via the play-offs but they won 4-0 at Wigan Athletic on the opening day; although they eventually went down, they finished only a point away from safety.

That freewheeling side attacked with abandon, scoring and conceding freely, and stole the neutrals' hearts with their wide-eyed approach, yet Holloway knows Palace cannot be so open.

"We [Blackpool] were an attack-minded team," he said. "We are a defence-minded team here. We've lost some of our counterattacking skills with Wilfried going. I haven't replaced that yet. I won't be so gung-ho because I haven't got so many attacking players."

One big-money signing that Holloway has been able to make is Prozone, which he hopes will enable him to formulate masterplans to stop superior teams. It was too expensive for him to use at Blackpool but now it is one of the reasons he has been up all night, and hearing him talk about it is like listening to a small child telling you about the new toy he got for Christmas.

"I'm going to have to learn how to judge other teams' passing patterns," Holloway said. "I'm going to have a very helpful tool here, where I get a lot of information about how far people run, how many miles they cover, what passing patterns they've got so I can actually look at a lot more information on who we're playing against.

"I'll be able to work on putting bodies in the way and hopefully stopping them having a rhythm, break things up and then be awkward and counterattack. You've got to learn everything you can if you're not going to be as strong as the other teams. It's massive, absolutely massive, the information you get. It's absolutely incredible."

While the emphasis will be on defensive solidity, Palace still need to find a way to score without Murray. They thought Bent was theirs, only for him to have a late change of heart, and are instead counting on Dwight Gayle, signed for an initial £3.25m from Peterborough, and Marouane Chamakh, a free transfer from Arsenal. Signing Chamakh is a gamble after three difficult years at the Emirates but Holloway believes the Moroccan can revive his career.

"He could have sat there for another year," he said. "But he wants to come and play. I told him what I think I can do for him. Obviously he bought into it and he wanted to come. Some of the other ones I've tried to do that with this summer have chosen other people. Good luck to them."

Above all, Holloway wants to be taken seriously. "I'm just trying to talk in a way that people don't think I'm funny," he said. "I'm fed up with that. I'm not a comedian, I'm a football manager." Palace are in no mood to be a laughing stock either.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/16/ian-holloway-crystal-palace

4-2-3-1 was awesome for us in away games last season, so I'm guessing we'll line up that way for our opener.

Assuming Vertonghen isn't quite ready, then I think it will be:

---------------lloris
walker---dawson----kaboul---rose
--------paulinho----dembele
--lennon------sig--------chadli
------------soldaddy

bench: friedel, naughton, fryers, capoue, sandro, townsend, defoe. (sandro and capoue won't be rushed into things imo. Kaboul looked good to go v Espanyol, so he will start I think).

Looking at that lineup, you can see why -- even if we keep Bale -- we might want to bring in Lamela and/or Willian. Would make a huge difference to the quality we have in the final third.

I reckon that will be the exact formation and team too.

Cant wait. Theres nothing like that feeling of anticipation and excitment of a new season. So many hopes and dreams.

Back