• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've done okay. Millimeters from scoring. The players are not fresh that is clear. An early goal would be a godsend. The longer it stay at a deadlock, the more nervy WHL will be. But Brighton will tire and the team need to be patient and keep work the ball to find an opening.

The answer to a crowded box is..... more congestion?
:confused:

Surely the key is to keep the ball moving quickly and pull them out of shape.
Well when we’ve crossed the ball yes, otherwise why are we bothering to cross at all? You say keep the ball moving quickly, we haven’t started moving the ball quickly:D But agree quick movement of the ball will help. Poch didn’t look happy so I’m sure he will rectify this....

That was rubbish. I've seen us do this so many times in this type of game. We start the match strolling around, passing the ball around slowly and comfortably in areas that will never hurt them and somehow we seem to be thinking that a goal will magically appear. No desperation to score whatsoever. We have wasted 45 minutes in what is the easiest game left on our schedule.

How do we expect to score the way we are playing? We hardly make any runs off the ball. Son made one run in behind them and Alli another at the end. Otherwise we stand in our positions and pass the ball around without doing anything to bring Brighton out of their defensive shape. No one takes a player on, there is no interchanging of positions to confuse them. Just pass to feet. Brighton didn't even have to work hard in that half. Pochettino needs to get them fired up at half time, but it's a bit of a concern that we start such an important game with seemingly such a relaxed attitude.

Well when we’ve crossed the ball yes, otherwise why are we bothering to cross at all? You say keep the ball moving quickly, we haven’t started moving the ball quickly:D But agree quick movement of the ball will help. Poch didn’t look happy so I’m sure he will rectify this....
Why are we bothering to cross at all is the correct question.

And "Because we can be really fudging brainless when faced with a defensive opponent" is the answer.

I think Son and Moura should pick the ball up a bit deeper and look to beat a man before they play a pass. Dribblers can open up these sh1t teams.

Aye but the spaces are tight. The run draws players out. Moura and Son have to run at the players. The crosses are useless.
I don't see them getting drawn out by a deep run - they're not contesting the ball in our half at all.

Some tricky running from Moura and Son in the final third should help.

My formation for the second half (Son and Moura more narrow):

---------------------Lloris---------------------

--------------Toby--------Super Jan------

-Trippier----Wanyama---Eriksen------Rose

----------------------Dele-----------------------

-----------Son----Llorente---Moura----------

Brighton are LOVING this so far

All they have is a packed defence, and Duffy/Dunk to win lofted crosses. They love this.

Play on the deck, get lots of men/dribbles/pinball/action/deflections of the ball on the deck.

Their threat is 2% of MNC

we must take our chance when it comes-we can be patient, must keep our focus

nothing is for granted as Brighton fight for their EPL lives

On the assumption that we might actually have better players than Brighton, perhaps it might be an idea to try to outplay them on the deck..
In case you didn't know it, it's extremely difficult to break down teams that pack 11 players behind the ball. There is no space to play in. The play then needs to be extremely quick, and with surgical precision in tight areas. It's hit and miss, mostly miss. Very difficult.

I think we need to hold and pass the ball around the ball a little deeper, rather than automatically pushing forward as far as we can go and compressing them in and around their box.
Having said that Eriksen is looking like he might find the pass we need at some point.

Back