• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Scum ***

This is why the elephant in the room is Son. It's all well and good saying he's the best finisher at the club, but how many chances has he or others created for himself to finish? He has lost his edge, and doesn't contribute enough to the attacking play unless an opportunity for him to score.

Hes not a winger in this system, and he's really not particularly good as a striker with his attributes - unless we are lucky enough to be playing Everton at home every week....

He's not a good lone striker. But Postecoglou has not yet tried to pair him with a physically dominant striker to see what he can do, and to me it's baffling because that is the role he excelled in when playing with Harry.

But, of course, that would mean a change in formation to play him with another forward in Richy/Solanke. And of course, Postecoglou doesn't change his system, even if it means fitting square pegs into round holes like having your wing-backs play inside (and offer zero threat), while one of the greatest goalscorers in the Premier League era is relegated to being a bog-standard wide man for zero reason.

A good manager finds the system that best suits his team. A mediocre manager settles on a system and then tries to twist the players to fit it.

He's not a good lone striker. But Postecoglou has not yet tried to pair him with a physically dominant striker to see what he can do, and to me it's baffling because that is the role he excelled in when playing with Harry.

But, of course, that would mean a change in formation to play him with another forward in Richy/Solanke. And of course, Postecoglou doesn't change his system, even if it means fitting square pegs into round holes like having your wing-backs play inside (and offer zero threat), while one of the greatest goalscorers in the Premier League era is relegated to being a bog-standard wide man for zero reason.

A good manager finds the system that best suits his team. A mediocre manager settles on a system and then tries to twist the players to fit it.
He doesn’t suit any system where you keep the ball
He needs space to play in and you don’t get that when you have the ball

Crosses are put into an area for a player to attack, they don't cross aiming at a static player.
This is not a tactic that will work. Crosses need to aimed at a specific player and into the space you can expect to occupy. That way the attack is situational and reacts to what's happening. Just flinging crosses into a default area is both easy to defend against once you know that is the area that they are going to consistently be aimed at and very low volume because instead of evaluating the current attack and playing the best pass you are just playing a default cross.

He’s not the answer and never will be. Too soon to judge Solanke but I’m still perplexed that the majority of this board think our fill forwards (starters and backups) are good enough. Its head in the sand stuff that will ultimately just end up with people being disappointed.
Solank will be fine
We can even use him for long balls which We never do… but are useful
But we need two players whipping crosses in
So far we have seen Johnson do sometimes
Werner did it today
Son did it first half vs everton
That’s it
It all fails there and Ange has to fix that
He can fix some of it with faster progression up the pitch which means doing something with the players who keep it safe.. Romero and Maddison

Hmmn, just home after that dismal showing. Is there any good news? Anything positive? Did anyone have a really good game (Mickey VDV? Bentancur?).
I saw nothing whatsoever to encourage me to think we will get out of this rut, but maybe Arsenal are just too good, and Brentford will be a better test. Lose that and the crowd's patience with Ange will start wearing thin I suspect. As for recruitment - bloody hell, if Odobert is the level of our ambition, then this could be a horrible season....we seem to be accumulating players with potential and "good character" but where are the players for right now?
Think Solanke is it. 27 years old, 65 million. Fills a massive gap in the team. That's our "now signing". Dragusin was it in January. Established international, provides depth in a position where we were massively exposed.

The most irritating thing for me is that Arsenal's goal shouldn't have stood. It wasn't a bloody failure of setpiece. It was a shocking decision. Two hands in the back of a defender and then blaming the opposing team for not complaining enough is silly.

The most irritating thing for me is that Arsenal's goal shouldn't have stood. It wasn't a bloody failure of setpiece. It was a shocking decision. Two hands in the back of a defender and then blaming the opposing team for not complaining enough is silly.
Merson even said it’s a foul
Form my end it looked like a free header

It was a pretty minor shove in the back. Every defender and every attacker were shoving each other like that at every corner.

By far the bigger issue for me is that Vicario is always rooted to his line and falling backwards and incapable of coming out and commanding his area. Very weak play from him. Goalkeepers are massively protected, so he just needs to run out and flail and dive at any contact and we will get the freekick.

I'd like to see the Solanke goal again, where he jumped near Raya and Raya just collapsed and I think the ball went over the line but Solanke didn't really touch Raya.

Defenders need to clear the space for Vicario if you want him coming out to collect that corner. There was no space for him to go anywhere because we let them all stand on top of us

Are we gonna be in a Raya,/Ramsdale situation soon? Where we need to replace someone the fans like and don't fully realise could be upgraded on until he is? I really hope Vicario improves as he seems a top guy, but he just seems so weak on crosses and set pieces*

*Granted , our team all round is pretty poor defending set pieces but still...

It was a pretty minor shove in the back. Every defender and every attacker were shoving each other like that at every corner.

By far the bigger issue for me is that Vicario is always rooted to his line and falling backwards and incapable of coming out and commanding his area. Very weak play from him. Goalkeepers are massively protected, so he just needs to run out and flail and dive at any contact and we will get the freekick.

I'd like to see the Solanke goal again, where he jumped near Raya and Raya just collapsed and I think the ball went over the line but Solanke didn't really touch Raya.
Don't think it went over the line but it was very, very soft. That said, when I first saw it, I knew it'd be given.

But it's just reality mate. If Romero had complained more, if the team had reacted more, or if Romero had hit the deck when shoved, that goal would have been disallowed.

But Postecoglou himself said, multiple times, he doesn't like players making a meal of things and trying to influence the ref that way. I don't doubt that this, among other things, is why we just shrugged and looked to the ref hoping he'd disallow it, and he obviously didn't because there wasn't a strong enough reaction there. Just like when Vicario was bullied last season - we didn't react enough to get that called off, and we didn't again today.

It's a quixotic belief to think that you can ignore the dark arts and just outplay the opposition and somehow it works out.

But it's just reality mate. If Romero had complained more, if the team had reacted more, or if Romero had hit the deck when shoved, that goal would have been disallowed.

But Postecoglou himself said, multiple times, he doesn't like players making a meal of things and trying to influence the ref that way. I don't doubt that this, among other things, is why we just shrugged and looked to the ref hoping he'd disallow it, and he obviously didn't because there wasn't a strong enough reaction there. Just like when Vicario was bullied last season - we didn't react enough to get that called off, and we didn't again today.

It's a quixotic belief to think that you can ignore the dark arts and just outplay the opposition and somehow it works out.
We should have milked it 100%

Back