• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T The England Thread

Re: O/T The England Thread - Squad for Brazil match announced

According to FIFA's latest rankings, released today, England are now 4th in the World.

For all the criticism of FIFA's ranking system (much of which I feel is justified) the simple fact of the matter is that England have only lost 4 matches from their last 35 played since 2010...

P0175_zpsfde7a281.png

...I very much doubt that there are more than three countries in the World with a better recent record, so England's fourth placed ranking is well justified.

England Full International Record & Statistics 1872 to 2013

England squad for the qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro will be announced on thursday.

So how many Spurs players will be in the squad?

I think there will be quite a few. Daws, Walker, Parker, Lennon and Defoe are surely in with a good shout.

Although I would actually prefer them not to get called up, so they could get a rest before the run-in.

Dawson, Lennon and Parker DESERVE to be in. I hope none get picked though mainly due to the fact that I don't want to see a potential injury.

Lennon not injured? actually would like to see our youngsters involved for internationals - caulker, townsend etc.

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial

Congratulations to Michael Dawson, Scott Parker, @Kyle28Walker, @Aaron7Lennon & @IAmJermainDefoe on being called up for England today

England squad

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Fraser Forster.
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand , Glen Johnson, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker.
Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Scott Parker , Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young.
Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbe

Not too fond on Lennon being in there. He deserves to be with his form, however with his recent injury i'd rather he was able to rest up for a week or two.

Not sure why Defoe is in there either, i thought the players were going to be picked on form. I guess not.

The others all pretty much fine with. Though i still hope they don't end up playing 180 minutes.

Not too fond on Lennon being in there. He deserves to be with his form, however with his recent injury i'd rather he was able to rest up for a week or two.

Not sure why Defoe is in there either, i thought the players were going to be picked on form. I guess not.

The others all pretty much fine with. Though i still hope they don't end up playing 180 minutes.

Occasionally you'll see someone included as a token gesture, but it never happens. Once you're established, you're in. If you're at ManU or Arsenal you get picked for doing well in training, you don't even need to be close to the first team.

Full England U21 Squad:

Goalkeepers: Ben Amos, Jack Butland, Jason Steele & Declan Rudd

Defenders: Ryan Bennett, Steven Caulker, Nathaniel Clyne, Craig Dawson, Tom Lees, Danny Rose, Jack Robinson, Luke Shaw, Adam Smith & Andrew Wisdom.

Midfielders: Tom Carroll, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jordan Henderson, Henri Lasnbury, Jason Lowe, Josh McEachran, Jonjo Shelvey, Raheem Sterling & Andros Townsend.

Strikers: Nathan Delfouneso, Tom Ince, Connor Wickham, Marvin Sordell & Wilfried Zaha.

I guess on the plus side Hodgson has realised that Gareth Barry isn't worthy of a call up.

Nice selection of youth for us there. Townsend and Sterling on opposite wings would be interesting to watch.

Roy Hodgson says he did not inform Rio Ferdinand in advance before naming him for the England squad to face San Marino (22 March) and Montenegro (26 March): "I preferred it to be a nice surprise. I didn't consider talking to him."

That could have a hilarious ending.

Last edited:
Full England U21 Squad:

Goalkeepers: Ben Amos, Jack Butland, Jason Steele & Declan Rudd

Defenders: Ryan Bennett, Steven Caulker, Nathaniel Clyne, Craig Dawson, Tom Lees, Danny Rose, Jack Robinson, Luke Shaw, Adam Smith & Andrew Wisdom.

Midfielders: Tom Carroll, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jordan Henderson, Henri Lasnbury, Jason Lowe, Josh McEachran, Jonjo Shelvey, Raheem Sterling & Andros Townsend.

Strikers: Nathan Delfouneso, Tom Ince, Connor Wickham, Marvin Sordell & Wilfried Zaha.

I guess it proves that young strikers are hard to find.. Ince and Zaha to be fair are playing extremely well in the championship and the other 3 seem to have been around for a while but hardly blowing people away over the last copuple years. I always hoped Wickham would turn into that big powerful forward England could do with but Sunderland didn't seem to play him much and he's out on loan in the championship.

It would be nice to have an U21 squad made up of youngsters who were getting PL games and not just doing well in the championship. Maybe because when a PL team gives a youngster a few games they get hailed as the saviour and thrown straight into the full England set-up.. usually never to be seen again!

Cleverly is just there because he plays for Man Utd, same with Chamberlain and Arsenal. Parker has been great since the Man Utd game, still no where near Sandros level but he's been doing fine alongside Dembele, deserves to be there, not many have his passion. I definitely think someone like Dyer deserves a chance. fudge knows what Ashley Young has done to deserve a call up, goodness gracious me.

Once again, no idea why Defoe is there, guess Woy just ran out of strikers, I think the stat is something like Defoe hasn't scored in 753 Premier League minutes which is just embarrassing and that is worthy of an England call up? I'd rather Rickie Lambert or someone getting a chance.

Nice selection of youth for us there. Townsend and Sterling on opposite wings would be interesting to watch.

Tom Ince was together with our own Adam Smith England's best players previous game.
Think Ince will keep his place, I'd play Ince and Townsend.
Sterling is both overrated and still very young for this stage.

Five Spurs players in the England squad to face San Marino & Montenegro in the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers...

Goalkeepers:
Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Fraser Forster.

Defenders:
Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders:
Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Scott Parker, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young.

Strikers:
Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck.

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial

Congratulations to Michael Dawson, Scott Parker, @Kyle28Walker, @Aaron7Lennon & @IAmJermainDefoe on being called up for England today

England squad

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Fraser Forster.
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand , Glen Johnson, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker.
Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Scott Parker , Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young.
Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbe

Those strikers are an embarrassment! Even Rooney is overrated.

Rio Ferdinand has been forced to withdraw from England's forthcoming fixtures with San Marino and Montenegro.

The decision was taken following a meeting in London on Sunday evening with Rio Ferdinand and England Manager Roy Hodgson.

At the meeting, Rio confirmed he wants to continue playing for England and to be selected for the summer and autumn fixtures.

Hodgson said: "I'm disappointed Rio will not be available, but due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow it's not possible.

"However, I was pleased that Rio called and asked to meet with me. It was important to hear from him personally about the way he must manage his body between games.

"This is not to say he cannot play back-to-back games - he can and has proven so. He's out this time due to particular pre-planned details already in place for his programme.

"I must place on record how I was impressed with his commitment to playing for England and I look forward to hopefully selecting him for squads in the future."

Ferdinand said: "It was important for me to be able to speak with Roy face to face and explain the situation, and one thing I made clear was that my passion and commitment to represent my country is as strong as ever.

"It is disappointing that I won't be able to play a part in the upcoming games but I told Roy that I want to continue to be available for England and I look forward to working with him in the future."

Steven Caulker, who was originally named in Stuart Pearce's Under-21 squad, will now join the seniors.

Not sure if that's such a good thing.

He would have started for the U21's and the game time would do him good. I doubt he will for the senior side though.

Back