• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No case for the defence

Yep I hear ya, but I'm hoping for better than status quo. With the new manager/ organization/structure/the bloke from Soton, etc, at the club, hopefully there's a limit as to the relevence of our transfer history, and past results won't necessarily be confined or indicative of the future. Furthermore, in the past there was much discussion in here as to how it wasn't/shouldn't be the case that our club's focus shouldn't be reliant on trying to get one player (Schneiderlin) but rather that we should identify other options (players) out there that could come in and fit the system too, if we didn't get Schneiderlin. (I believe you were a prominent exponent of such thinking?)

I think Stambouli was the option for Schneiderlin.

Thing is most players that are good fits for a system, not great players, are not at the level people are talking about when they want a top notch defensive midfielder whose also very good on the ball and an effective passer.

I think Stambouli was the option for Schneiderlin.

Thing is most players that are good fits for a system, not great players, are not at the level people are talking about when they want a top notch defensive midfielder whose also very good on the ball and an effective passer.

Some truth in that, however we should/can not judge if Stambouli is/is not that player until he is given a proper run in the side.

Thought we looked much more assured at the back today. Is it just a coincidence that vertonghen was back to his best when fazio lined up next to him again?

I think this is our best cb pairing, and we should stick with it!

Thought we looked much more assured at the back today. Is it just a coincidence that vertonghen was back to his best when fazio lined up next to him again?

I think this is our best cb pairing, and we should stick with it!

Best CB pairing, harder working front 4 with Lamela back in the side. Of course being up against the most out of form team in the league probably also played a major part.

Did anyone else notice that Fazio had some of those allegedly functional tape thingies on his back? Remember Bale used to play with those... Could be something to the speculation that Fazio has been kept out because of some niggling injury issues?

Back down to a goal a game conceded with Big Faz back in the team.

The whole team performed the pressing game much more effectively though and cannot be overlooked as a a cause as well

Great to see Fazio and Vert back again.. 4 losses in 25 games now as a partnership. Solid today

Yes, Saudi Sportswashing Machine were brick, and yes the team pressed well. The big thing for me though, is that we didn't look likely to self implode at any minute. Was a calmness that have been missing for the last month.

We have to get our CM sorted and get some protection for our back four, at the moment we are wide open and have been for most of the season.

We have to get our CM sorted and get some protection for our back four, at the moment we are wide open and have been for most of the season.

I brought it up in the tactics thread .. inherently I think the system is the issue, a DM would help, but not sure it would solve the challenge.

I brought it up in the tactics thread .. inherently I think the system is the issue, a DM would help, but not sure it would solve the challenge.

I think the system can work, but we need a CM player who is more aware of runners then either Mason Or Bentaleb. I sit behind the goal at the Lane and the number of times we allow runners to run unchallenged is crazy.

I have just read you post in the other thread and its pretty much bang on. There is no reason why we can not make the system work but we need to change the CM, however I have been saying the same for most of the season and some on here think our CM is fine. We have one of the best keepers in the Prem and despite what some think we have decent/good defenders but they are left exposed so many times by our M/F players not doing the job needed.

I think the system can work, but we need a CM player who is more aware of runners then either Mason Or Bentaleb. I sit behind the goal at the Lane and the number of times we allow runners to run unchallenged is crazy.

I have just read you post in the other thread and its pretty much bang on. There is no reason why we can not make the system work but we need to change the CM, however I have been saying the same for most of the season and some on here think our CM is fine. We have one of the best keepers in the Prem and despite what some think we have decent/good defenders but they are left exposed so many times by our M/F players not doing the job needed.

Agree

I would actually look to bring in McCartney and Schneiderlin and rid of Paulinho, Dembele and Capoue. We would then have these two plus Mason, bentaleb and Alli (unless he goes on loan). That would be a gettable, affordable and above all effective central midfield option.

Agree

I would actually look to bring in McCartney and Schneiderlin and rid of Paulinho, Dembele and Capoue. We would then have these two plus Mason, bentaleb and Alli (unless he goes on loan). That would be a gettable, affordable and above all effective central midfield option.

That's £40m for two players who really aren't going to improve us that much (least of all Mcarthy who I assume you mean from Everton who is a brick clogged). I'd take schendielain as he is better than what we have

That's £40m for two players who really aren't going to improve us that much (least of all Mcarthy who I assume you mean from Everton who is a crude clogged). I'd take schendielain as he is better than what we have

This clogger bricks on Mason, Bentaleb and Dembele, if you believe squawka:

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m..._errors/avg_pass_length/blocks/clearances#avg
Apologies - no idea how to paste the matrix directly

He is better than Mason in every defensive stat on the matrix; he is also better than Bentaleb and Dembele in practically all of them except interception. Above all his defensive errors stand at the lovely figure of zero. Even creatively he compares well – he has the longest pass length of the four (presumably because he is a true defensive midfielder) and shades Mason in total passes, successful passes and pass completion. Not bad for a crude clogger...

Why McCarthy? Contract expires in two years and combined with a Lennon swap could see us getting him for decent money. Above all, I want a genuine defensive midfielder who fits the Poch style of play who can hit the ground running and offers minimal risk of another Capoue farce; McCarthy fits that bill!

This clogger cruds on Mason, Bentaleb and Dembele, if you believe squawka:

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m..._errors/avg_pass_length/blocks/clearances#avg
Apologies - no idea how to paste the matrix directly

He is better than Mason in every defensive stat on the matrix; he is also better than Bentaleb and Dembele in practically all of them except interception. Above all his defensive errors stand at the lovely figure of zero. Even creatively he compares well – he has the longest pass length of the four (presumably because he is a true defensive midfielder) and shades Mason in total passes, successful passes and pass completion. Not bad for a crude clogger...

Why McCarthy? Contract expires in two years and combined with a Lennon swap could see us getting him for decent money. Above all, I want a genuine defensive midfielder who fits the Poch style of play who can hit the ground running and offers minimal risk of another Capoue farce; McCarthy fits that bill!

Have you seen much of Everton? He spend a lot of time kicking players and not enough time playing football. Him and Barry last season got away with murder and this season I haven't seen him improve.

He wouldn't be sold by them for less than £20m as they paid around £15m for him IIRC

Have you seen much of Everton? He spend a lot of time kicking players and not enough time playing football. Him and Barry last season got away with murder and this season I haven't seen him improve.

He wouldn't be sold by them for less than £20m as they paid around £15m for him IIRC

Now I understand stats are not everything but they strongly contradict your point of view. Also, a defensive midfielder who kicks his opponents and gets away with it... my ideal player!

Only QPR, Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine have conceded more than us his season but the defence still inst to blame.
Bring in James McCarthy that will solve it! This is the same kid I followed since he was bigged as the the great Irish hope. The midfielder that could be the creative force for an average International side. But he's turned into another Glenn Whelan. Now we praying for Jack Grealish to remember his Irish roots.

Now I understand stats are not everything but they strongly contradict your point of view. Also, a defensive midfielder who kicks his opponents and gets away with it... my ideal player!

Honestly he is not great.

I have mates who are Everton seasons ticket holders who now see it

Your entitled to your opinion but he I've seen enough of him to have a view that for anything more than 6/7 million we would be getting robbed

Back