• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to ask, who of all the linked coaches would most likely play with two strikers at points in the season?

I have to say I don't think I'd want a coach who could NEVER play with two striker. I quite like the ability to play a diamond formation as BRodgers did later in the season,

Has Poch ever gone with two strikers, or even three?

None of them really. FdB plays 4-3-3. Poch 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1. Benitez 4-2-3-1.

They are hit and miss like most papers. I can remember reading that we'd signed Ben Arfa in there a few years go now (I think under Jol or Ramos)

I think L'Equipe were always nearly 100% during the Comolli years (and probably less so before and after) - kind of an association like the Di Marzio-Baldini one.

X 2.

He may do a good job, but I don't want him. Would much prefer FDB, Poc, well anyone really!

Don't get this, his pedigree and experience in this league is miles above any other candidates. He is not even as defensive as is made out, certainly not more so than José and is a proven winner at multiple clubs and leagues, he is as close to a safe bet as we are as likely to get.

Don't get this, his pedigree and experience in this league is miles above any other candidates. He is not even as defensive as is made out, certainly not more so than José and is a proven winner at multiple clubs and leagues, he is as close to a safe bet as we are as likely to get.

Have we been persuaded by his cameo at Chelsea? Im sure I can remember on here how we used to laugh at Liverpool fans thinking he was the chosen one, with comments about how he took Houllier's team and flunked a CL, before spending lots of money gradually making them worse?

Under both our managers last season..... :-"

At what point does a sample size become large enough? 10 games?.... 20?.... 40?... 500?!? Who is the 'sample size rule maker'?

Well, you could look for statistical significance, but that would require maths. I suppose we all have to decide what we think is a good sample size. If you think it's 10 games you're wrong though.

It also depends on what you want to claim based on those stats. If the claim is made that Sherwood had the highest points per game of any Spurs manager, but changing the result in a single game would have made that statement false it seems blatantly obvious to me that the sample size is insufficient to use that claim as the basis for argumentation about actual ability.

For me, when talking about managerial ability based on results, anything less than a season seems clearly insufficient.

I think L'Equipe were always nearly 100% during the Comolli years (and probably less so before and after) - kind of an association like the Di Marzio-Baldini one.

Based only on my far from reliable memory L'Equipe has been rather unreliable in recent years. Particularly when talking about deals not involving Frenchmen.

They seem perfectly willing to just re-running stories from elsewhere with no actual sources in a rather tabloid fashion.

I could be wrong though.

As much as I want Pochetinno I can't see how anyone can be disappointed by the idea of FSW. The guy is a good coach. Full stop.

Have we been persuaded by his cameo at Chelsea? Im sure I can remember on here how we used to laugh at Liverpool fans thinking he was the chosen one, with comments about how he took Houllier's team and flunked a CL, before spending lots of money gradually making them worse?

Don't think that was particularly fair though as he had them in a title challenge won them the champions league constantly got top four. I would have that if offered wouldn't you?

Don't think that was particularly fair though as he had them in a title challenge won them the champions league constantly got top four. I would have that if offered wouldn't you?

Absolutely.... But I guess it also depends on the starting point. Did he take over from Houllier.... If so then how did Benitez time compare with his predecessor? I really can't remember whether he made them better, worse or kept them at a similar level.

Benitez joined Liverpool and Chelsea when they were top 4 stalwarts. Nowhere near the same as trying to get us to overachieve and get into the top 4.
If people didn't like the football AVB employed in attempting to do that then they will not like it under Benitez.

Hoddle is backing Poch:

Pochettino would ‘work wonders’ as Tottenham manager, insists Spurs legend

Tottenham legend Glenn Hoddle has told talkSPORT Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino would “work wonders” if he is appointed the club’s next manager.

Spurs are on the search for their tenth boss in 13 years under chairman Daniel Levy having given Tim Sherwood the boot at the end of the season after just six months in charge.

Pochettino, who has impressed during his 18 months at the Saints helm, is current favourite for the job, and Hoddle believes the 42-year-old Argentine would bring the best from Spurs’ expensively assembled, yet underperforming, squad.

“I think Pochettino is a super young manager,” the Spurs hero told the Warm Up.

“He has done a brilliant job at Southampton and I think he would be a very good acquisition for Tottenham.

“I’ve been very impressed with the way he’s had Southampton playing this year, and I think with the squad at Tottenham I think he could do real wonders there.”

Hoddle also insisted Tottenham have to focus on bringing some continuity to the club, and warned Spurs that they may struggle to climb into the top four if they don’t put a stop to their revolving door of managerial appointments.

“I think Spurs have to look at some continuity in the long-term and if they don’t do that they’ll struggle.

“Changing the manager too many times in a short period of time isn’t healthy for the club or the success the fans want.”

http://talksport.com/football/exclu...-spurs-legend-14051891706#svgGKah6qdxV6pt6.99

hoddle sounds off the club party line very time doesn't he.

rafa benitez wouldn't be too bad, he played good football at pool and chelsea.
some times rubs me the wrong way but after redknapp and sherwood i can live with that :)

Fair enough, but I think PL games only is best comparison really. After all there can be a huge difference in the quality of your opponents in the cup, where Sherwood didn't have the luxury of the Europa league group stage, playing FC No Mark who finished 3rd (on goal difference) in the 5 team Lithuanian premier league to get his win percentage up. I think a good indication is PL points per game as that factors in the wins and the losses. IIRC didn't Tim also have our best record when that method was used?

All well and good except we got knocked out of the cups by Wham (turd), Benfica (we really should be beating them) and Arsenal (unacceptable).

Benitez joined Liverpool and Chelsea when they were top 4 stalwarts. Nowhere near the same as trying to get us to overachieve and get into the top 4.
If people didn't like the football AVB employed in attempting to do that then they will not like it under Benitez.

Dude rafa's football is so much better than Avbs. I don't even know how you can even try to argue it's not after the first half of last season.

To be fair, it doesn't take much to have a laugh at Liverpool.

And I'd take the trophies that Benitez got for them if it meant we spent 4 or 5 seasons after being flogged, before getting back on our feet. But with Baldini helping out, you'd hope the place wouldn't be left in such a mess.

Dude rafa's football is so much better than Avbs. I don't even know how you can even try to argue it's not after the first half of last season.

It's almost as if the first half of 2013/14 is the only time we've been managed by AVB, or that Liverpool and Chelski were always free-flowing under Rafa.

Rafa and AVB to me are similar in that they are mainly defence first coaches that try and hit teams in short very controlled bursts. If we didn't like AVB's attempt at getting us top 4 using those methods and with our budgets (which Liverpool/Cheklsea's under Rafaa dwarfed on top of the fact that they both had CL pull on players etc) then we will not like it under Rafa.

Rafa managed teams top 4 stalwart teams in Liverpool and Chelsea and kept them ticking along; when was the last time he got a club like ours to break into the top 4? Pease don't say Valencia as they were CL regulars more or less when he started there. Yes he achieved two great La Ligas given the Barca-Madrid dominance but the footy was not something Spurs fans would/could tolerate.

Back