• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

Re: New stadium and training ground thread - Pg 74 Haringey Council plans 2025

West Ham cant make too many permanent changes because of the World Athletics champs due to be held at the Olympic stadium in 2017

The stadium has to have a running track for 99 years according to the lease. Let's hope West Ham sign themselves into some nice long contract then.

Have to say, was very impressed with how "open" the stadium felt, easy to get in and out for so many people. But it was just that, just seats.... You can see why Wembley cost so much more with all it's escalators and refreshment points. This is where though a football stadium will struggle at the OS unless catering and toilets can be put in at the top levels (unlikely). When people are watching a three hour athletics meet / ceremony, most breaks are staggered. At a footie game, 80%+ will want their drink or to use the loo within the same 15 slot. Mayhem.

Good think they only need to use 20,000 of those seats most matches anyway.

The stadium has to have a running track for 99 years according to the lease. Let's hope West Ham sign themselves into some nice long contract then.

Have to say, was very impressed with how "open" the stadium felt, easy to get in and out for so many people. But it was just that, just seats.... You can see why Wembley cost so much more with all it's escalators and refreshment points. This is where though a football stadium will struggle at the OS unless catering and toilets can be put in at the top levels (unlikely). When people are watching a three hour athletics meet / ceremony, most breaks are staggered. At a footie game, 80%+ will want their drink or to use the loo within the same 15 slot. Mayhem.

Good think they only need to use 20,000 of those seats most matches anyway.

Or they could just put some deck chairs on the running track, don't need the stands at all.

I was just thinking how you could possibly get a combined athletics and football stadium such that the fans were next to the pitch

Humour me, this could be expensive (and wouldn't help with the Olympic stadium).

Imagine Wembley as it is, perfect for footy but no room for a 400m track.

Now pour a million tons of concrete into Wembley and if is one third full of concrete with the correct floor area for an athletics track but 20,000 fewer seats.

Now imagine the same but instead of concrete use removable scaffolding to create that same floor level.

That could work and wouldn't be as hard as putting a man on the moon. It would take a few million to build a 400m track at that height, but it is not impossible.

That would work, but a grass pitch isn't the best of foundations. It would have to be relaid afterwards and there could potentially be damage to the undersoil heating.

This is the important part for any prospective tenant. Corporate seats can generate anyting up to 80% of a stadium's revenue these days.

I dare say that it would be possible for corporate sales to account for 80% of ticket revenue. But it would be highly unusual.

Even Arsenal, who have the highest corporate revenues in England, would have a percentage of no more than 60% (maybe even 50%), I reckon.

I was just thinking how you could possibly get a combined athletics and football stadium such that the fans were next to the pitch

Humour me, this could be expensive (and wouldn't help with the Olympic stadium).

Imagine Wembley as it is, perfect for footy but no room for a 400m track.

Now pour a million tons of concrete into Wembley and if is one third full of concrete with the correct floor area for an athletics track but 20,000 fewer seats.

Now imagine the same but instead of concrete use removable scaffolding to create that same floor level.

That could work and wouldn't be as hard as putting a man on the moon. It would take a few million to build a 400m track at that height, but it is not impossible

As it happens, Wembley was designed to accommodate almost exactly such a scheme. One of the reasons why the stands aren't as close as they could be to the pitch. A great waste, since Wembley will never be needed for such a purpose now that we have the Olympic stadium.

Could they still get a dog track into wembley then?

The Football Association will not be selling naming rights to Wembley.

Talks are taking place with a number of potential commercial partners as the FA look to maximise revenue from the world famous arena, which plays host to this season's UEFA Champions League final.

It has been suggested they could be linked to the naming of the stadium in some way.

However, sources insist there is no chance of a naming rights deal, such as the one Arsenal have with airline Emirates or Stoke have with the Britannia Co-operative Bank.

Even if they wanted to, Wembley officials would come up against a problem Saudi Sportswashing Machine owner Mike Ashley has encountered at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Although now officially titled the Sports Direct Arena, most fans still refer to the ground as St James' Park.

Wembley was rebuilt at an eye-bulging cost of £798million and re-opened in 2007.

Since then it has hosted a number of events, including NFL, rugby union, rugby league and a series of pop concerts, as officials try to generate increased revenue.

Most recently it hosted both the men's and women's Olympic football finals.

www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/8070330/FA-not-seeking-Wembley-sponsor

I dare say that it would be possible for corporate sales to account for 80% of ticket revenue. But it would be highly unusual.

Even Arsenal, who have the highest corporate revenues in England, would have a percentage of no more than 60% (maybe even 50%), I reckon.

There was a list somewhere showing the levels for each ground/stadium including Twickenham and the Millennium Stadium etc. Wembley showed that 20k seats out of 90k generated 80% of revenue.

80% isn't typical, but it shows what is possible and is a figure the Olympic Stadium should be aiming for based upon it's profile. They simply have to incorporate new corporate facilities whether it will be used for football or concerts.

Or they could just put some deck chairs on the running track, don't need the stands at all.

... and caravans for the corporate entertainment, it is the pi.... hammers after all.

From what I've seen, the corporates only contribute around 35% of the matchday at the Emirates. This was lower than 40-45% estimates that people speculated about before it opened.

Last edited:

But its not only matchday though, good corporate facilities will be used all year round for conferences and other events. They are huge money spinners. All the new grads at our company go to Twickenham and the emirates, wouldn't touch the lane because they aren't up to scratch and won't portray the right image.

NDP id imagine will change all that.

PS - will the OS be doing a big feature on the new training ground. Be nice to see some pictures and videos and hear the thoughts of players on it.

Below is a new render of the north podium from the latest planning application for minor modifications to the northern building (introduction of a modest atrium space, remove windows to the south facade at podium, minor adjustment to the line of the building at upper levels). There's no bridge linking the building to the stadium. Did the bridge get dropped from the plans somewhere or have they just missed it on the render?

ndpnorth.jpg

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=479366

Skybar has gone so no reason for the bridge anymore?

There was a list somewhere showing the levels for each ground/stadium including Twickenham and the Millennium Stadium etc. Wembley showed that 20k seats out of 90k generated 80% of revenue.

80% isn't typical, but it shows what is possible and is a figure the Olympic Stadium should be aiming for based upon it's profile. They simply have to incorporate new corporate facilities whether it will be used for football or concerts.

I'm sure that the Olympic stadium will get added corporate seats. But nothing like as many as Wembley's for the simple reason that it won't stage anything like as many major sporting events as Wembley.

Wembley is exceptional because 17,000 of the 90,000 seats are corporate - a significantly higher proportion than at any other stadium. Furthermore, as the national stadium, it stages mostly major events (as opposed to mere league games). It also has broader appeal, since the events it hosts aren't limited to just one club. So it is especially attractive to corporate clients.

Even so, I doubt that 80% figure. For starters, it's very hard to calculate, given that most of the corporate packages were sold on ten year terms. Besides which, the maths just doesn't add up, IMO. Given Wembley's high prices, a sellout would generate at least £3 million in normal ticket sales. Which would mean that Wembley's 17,000 corporate seats would have to generate £12 million of sales per match in order to account for 80% of match day income. Or £705 per seat. And there's no way that the FA could charge anything like that much for the large majority of the 17,000 corporate seats.

But its not only matchday though, good corporate facilities will be used all year round for conferences and other events. They are huge money spinners. All the new grads at our company go to Twickenham and the emirates, wouldn't touch the lane because they aren't up to scratch and won't portray the right image.

NDP id imagine will change all that.

Conferences etc. bring in useful added revenues. But they aren't "huge money spinners". It's a way of maximizing a venue's income generating potential. But the sums involved don't come close to what can be made from using the venue for the purpose for which it is primarily intended.

PS - will the OS be doing a big feature on the new training ground. Be nice to see some pictures and videos and hear the thoughts of players on it.

I should bloody hope so!

Below is a new render of the north podium from the latest planning application for minor modifications to the northern building (introduction of a modest atrium space, remove windows to the south facade at podium, minor adjustment to the line of the building at upper levels). There's no bridge linking the building to the stadium. Did the bridge get dropped from the plans somewhere or have they just missed it on the render?

ndpnorth.jpg

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=479366

Good find. Thanks for that.

There were number of comments during AVB's first 'official' press conference, back in July

There were number of comments during AVB's first 'official' press conference, back in July

There were indeed. Comments about all sorts of things!

But since I seem to have misplaced my mind reading gizmo, I'm not sure which comments you are you referring to. ;)

Back