• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

First off, Schneiderlin is a completely different type of midfielder to Siggy.

Secondly, we already do invest good money in one of the best academies in the country. And while you're right that we need to give our best graduates space and opportunity to work their way into the first team squad, we also need to supplement the squad with astute and well targeted signings if we are to remain competitive.

Fair point, your solution is to do both. The question is how big is the budget spent on transfers vs. the academy budget. Our academy...like any other could be scaled up! The £17-20m for for this guy would enable this.

It now costs the order of £20m for a first team signing like Schneiderlin....it used to cost £2m for Gazza (who at the time was the hottest properly in English football and he signed for Tottenham!). It's expensive and we cannot compete whenever there is a bidding war.

At some point a scaled-up youth system will make economic sense rather than a token effort. Is it time that we re-assess our budget?

That's what I'd like to see. Schneiderlin backed-up by Bentaleb as the deep ballplayer, Sandro backed-up by Capoue as the DM.

Pretty much how I saw it too.

The ITV4 Cup should give the understudies plenty of game time without having to overhaul formations.

I've always assumed that Bentaleb would be his understudy

Really? To me Bentaleb always looked better going forward than sitting in midfield defending space.

Schneiderlin does both - defend the space and long range attacks.

Bentaleb is not ready to be backup yet.

Really? To me Bentaleb always looked better going forward than sitting in midfield defending space.

Schneiderlin does both - defend the space and long range attacks.

Bentaleb is not ready to be backup yet.

I never saw Bentaleb at youth level, but to me his calm, composed, move it simple but quick, style is much more suited to CM than AM (where I'd want to see more guile and dynamism).

If we're not confident that he's ready to be primary back-up to Schneiderlin, then we can just keep Dembele for another 12 months.

Pretty much how I saw it too.

The ITV4 Cup should give the understudies plenty of game time without having to overhaul formations.
:lol:..........The ITV4 cup winner gets a CL place. Bassong will still be suspended though

No to Morgan Schneiderlin.
Yes to Xavi.

Seriously though Morgan Schneiderlin is not anything special and offers no more than what we already have. We just sold Sigurdsson because he couldn't get a game - its not exactly a position we are short of players in.

I'd rather keep the £17m and pour it into youth team development. To give give perspective that money could pay for 40 additional full time youth team coaches (on 40k p.a.) for ten years!

Let's stop thinking we can sign a team in a market driven by Madrid, City, Chelsea, PSG, Utd etc. We cannot afford the players we need to improve the 1st team.

Now you've done it.

First off, Schneiderlin is a completely different type of midfielder to Siggy.

Secondly, we already do invest good money in one of the best academies in the country. And while you're right that we need to give our best graduates space and opportunity to work their way into the first team squad, we also need to supplement the squad with astute and well targeted signings if we are to remain competitive.

The first part is the most important. They're just completely different types of players, they play different positions.

Do we currently have a midfielder who can defend to a reasonable degree and link the defence to the forward players?

Sandro - no, he's more of a defensive player.
Capoue - no, same as Sandro really.
Paulinho - he's like a Sandro who can't defend.
Dembele - defend, but isn't a passer, he's a dribbler.
Bentelab - the closest to Morgan we've got, but relatively inexperienced.

Siggy? He was an AM, he should have been used playing off the striker, but was instead used on the wing.

The first part is the most important. They're just completely different types of players, they play different positions.

Do we currently have a midfielder who can defend to a reasonable degree and link the defence to the forward players?

Sandro - no, he's more of a defensive player.
Capoue - no, same as Sandro really.
Paulinho - he's like a Sandro who can't defend.
Dembele - defend, but isn't a passer, he's a dribbler.
Bentelab - the closest to Morgan we've got, but relatively inexperienced.

Siggy? He was an AM, he should have been used playing off the striker, but was instead used on the wing.

Not sure it's as simple as that.

You have also forgotten Carroll, Chadli, Holtby and Ericsson plus probably a few more who all also can play in a CM role.

All of the above can be moulded together (balancing their skills) into a team. The problem is that they are all about the same standard and we have two spots to fill. If one player really stood out, the attributes of other player would also be clear.

Hence buying another CM player (of the same standard) simply doesn't make any sense. As I mention above, save the money and put it into the academy.

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

I never saw Bentaleb at youth level, but to me his calm, composed, move it simple but quick, style is much more suited to CM than AM (where I'd want to see more guile and dynamism).

If we're not confident that he's ready to be primary back-up to Schneiderlin, then we can just keep Dembele for another 12 months.

Interesting…I think that if we play him further forward, he will be the midfielder who develops into a 12-15 goal a season midfielder. Not afraid to shoot and not afraid to join the attack. Good thing about him is that he is basically a player who could play either position. For me, a really important player.

Interesting…I think that if we play him further forward, he will be the midfielder who develops into a 12-15 goal a season midfielder. Not afraid to shoot and not afraid to join the attack. Good thing about him is that he is basically a player who could play either position. For me, a really important player.
My understanding is that he frequently played further forward in our youth ranks

You have also forgotten Carroll, Chadli, Holtby and Ericsson plus probably a few more who all also can play in a CM role.

All of the above can be moulded together (balancing their skills) into a team. The problem is that they are all about the same standard and we have two spots to fill. If one player really stood out, the attributes of other player would also be clear.

Hence buying another CM player (of the same standard) simply doesn't make any sense. As I mention above, save the money and put it into the academy.

Are any of those ready to play 30-40 games in central midfield this season and be central to our manager's game plan?

Why would I be bothered in those who 'can' play in CM? I'm bothered about the players who will play in CM.

Chadli is a winger, Eriksen is an AM behind the striker, holtby is one of the three behind the striker and Carroll good at passing, but nowhere near as good defensively.

They are all of the same standard, which is why schneiderlin would be a perfect purchase, he'd be the first CM on the teamsheet for me, he was quality under Poch at Saints last season, impressed far more than any of our CMs.

If we have a chance to get a CM that's proven to work in our manager's system and is of the ability to improve our starting line up, I can't say no. The price is the only question.

We can't keep adding to our squad mind, so use one of our midfielders as a makeweight for an upgrade.

How effective is throwing money at academies? We've just got a brand new training ground, what are you going to throw money at?

Last edited:
Why would I be bothered in those who 'can' play in CM? I'm bothered about the players who will play in CM.

Chadli is a winger, Eriksen is an AM behind the striker, holtby is one of the three behind the striker and Carroll good at passing, but nowhere near as good defensively.

They are all of the same standard, which is why schneiderlin would be a perfect purchase, he'd be the first CM on the teamsheet for me, he was quality under Poch at Saints last season, impressed far more than any of our CMs.

If we have a chance to get a CM that's proven to work in our manager's system and is of the ability to improve our starting line up, I can't say no. The price is the only question.

We can't keep adding to our squad mind, so use one of our midfielders as a makeweight for an upgrade.

How effective is throwing money at academies? We've just got a brand new training ground, what are you going to throw money at?

You don't solve a problem of mediocre CM players by adding another.

Southampton were 8th last season and we beat them home and away. Let's not get carried away with this guy. Last summer 17m got us a Brazilian Central midfielder.

We need more quality or value for money than this guy.

Back