• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Monaco OMT

The Monaco of last year might've been. The Monaco of this year are short of that though I feel.

I don't know. They lost Abdennour and Martial, and replaced them with Coentrao and El Shaarawy (it was the season before that Rodriguez and Falcao left). That's not a particular drop in quality.

Brad Friedel (admittedly Hugo's mate) was saying on the commentary about how that's about the worst place for it go from a keeper's perspective - something to do with where your weight is and needing to offload that before you can move.

He looks short - he gets dominated in the air, which Walker and even Rose never do

Ironic Brad was saying that. He would have been lynched for that goal on here in the days he was still being picked when Hugo had signed and was waiting to take his place.

its 100% the worse place to get to as a keeper as you can't move your feet quick enough because of balance an your arms simply dont get there unless you are lower

The only way a keeper saves shots in that area is if there already going down or just lucky with a leg movement

Lloris just isn't comfortable with any shots near his feet, he's not like de Gea who saves a lot of shots that way. If you watch the goal again the ball was actually going straight at him but he ended up moving his foot over the ball.

The Monaco of last year might've been. The Monaco of this year are short of that though I feel.

second half they were excellent without really creating much, but I enjoyed how they moved the ball and made the pitch look big. I think they have a smart coach and somehow the loss of their best players from last season doesnt look to have affected them too much, well until the final third anyway

It's not only the header at his feet, but a couple of other shots that he blocked a la Vorm, but was lucky to have Jan and Rose there to clean up. Overall bit of a sub par performance last night.

I don't know. They lost Abdennour and Martial, and replaced them with Coentrao and El Shaarawy (it was the season before that Rodriguez and Falcao left). That's not a particular drop in quality.
Really? You think Monaco are as strong as they were last season?

As well as Abdennour and Martial that you mentioned they also sold Kongdogbia to Inter for 21 million, Kurzawa to PSG for 17.5 million and Carrasco to Athletico Madrid for 14 million. They also lost Berbatov on a free transfer at the end of his contract. Basically their six best players all left them. They brought in £113 million in sales (and that's if you only count the initial £35 million that Man Utd paid for Martial) and spent only £57 million on incoming players.

Last season they reached the Champions League quarter finals. This season it wouldn't surprise me if they fail to qualify from their Europa League group.

I think they have had a reasonably significant drop in quality.

Very disappointed we failed to win this match. Would have accepted a draw before this match. But the way we failed to defend our lead after scoring first is really unacceptable ! This is the third match this season that we have failed to win despite scoring first, Stoke and Leicester games being the others. It seems like we are more comfortable coming back from a goal behind than having to defend a lead. Pochettino needs to overcome this problem.

Well done to Lamela for getting our only goal. He was fortunate to get the tap-in after Alli's shot was saved by the goalie. But Lamela did start the move that led to the goal. Lamela has been in great form recently and it is nice to see him continuing that. He is now our joint-top scorer with 3 goals. Hope he can continue his goal scoring run for long time.

We could have killed this game off if Chadli and Kane had scored from their chances in the first half. Disappointingly, both are still struggling to find their goal scoring boot in front of goal. Despite scoring against ManCity, Kane still wastes too many chances like this. Similiarly, Eriksen is still struggling to find back his true form. He wasted 2 free kicks from good positions which the old Eriksen would have done most from.

Thought our midfield of Dier and Alli didn't have a good game as Monaco was dominating the midfield too much. They created too many chances from midfield. Fortunately, they didn't make use of the chances they got. Reall disappointed about their goal as the Monaco player had a free header to score. Maybe Lloris could have done better but it was a point blank header which any goalie would have struggled to save.

A draw against Monaco was not a bad result. But a win would have been great considering we conceded the goal so late in the game. It seems we are still struggling to kill games off when we are leading. Hope Pochettino can improve the team on this.

It was straight at him. Goalkeeper of his quality it's criminal. The fact he almost cost us minutes later with a suicide save was worse. No idea what was going on with him last night.
That is a ridiculously overblown comment. I know you like to use superlatives and hyperbole to reel in responses and troll the board, but that is a "criminal" post.

That is a ridiculously overblown comment. I know you like to use superlatives and hyperbole to reel in responses and troll the board, but that is a "criminal" post.
It's a split second situation there, l thought loris was caught between standing still or going forward and paid the price for it. But it was as bad as the vorm one, and keepers bad decisions tend to show up more clearly than strikers (e.g. Kane) so I am sympathetic towards goalies.

Back