• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mitt Romney the next new leader of the free world!!!

This.

Anyone who thinks Obama has been anything but a disaster hasn't been paying attention.

Bain capital created jobs?

http://go.bloomberg.com/political-capital/2012-05-17/fact-checking-romneys-jobs-stats/

[video=youtube;sWiSFwZJXwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWiSFwZJXwE[/video]

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...Romney-admits-Bain-Capital-didn-t-create-jobs

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/05/lemon-picking-bain-capital-obama-style/

Are you sure??

Again......step up and back your bland statements up.....or get out of the debate. I'm not just making this brick up.

MITT-ROMNEY-RMONEY.jpg

woops

BS.

Watch the video above and tell me with a straight face Romney is teh future.

I actually kinda hope Barry loses as once Romney is in teh hot seat he'll be forced to do EVERYTHING he was apparently against.

The guy is a total fraud.

Rather than making bland statements about Obama being a disaster, back up your statements with analysis and examples, links to credible alternative policies?

You sound like Labour politicians! Blindly oppose everything without an alternative policy.

Bush was the biggest disaster in American political history, Obama's deficit is a DIRECT result of Bush's policies......just like over here Obama inherited a disasterous economy and deficit....and Labour/Repulicans now wanna lay the blame at the door of the people who have been left to clean up the mess?

Riiiiight.

Close, but no cigar...

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/01/04/bloomberg-hides-government-cau

Lets be honest, the American University network is by far the strongest in the world. You a significant number of the worlds Top 100 Universities and are a world leader in research in every area. The reality is that if people are going to go to University and study degrees that aren't going to get them jobs, that's their problem. It's not for government to tell people what to study.

As for selling and buying businesses, in order for that to succeed then they need to fundamentally add value to the company. The idea of firing as many people as possible while keeping just enough to keep the business afloat is a negative spin on what I consider to be perfectly legitimate. They are effectively making companies more efficient and successful in order to add value, which is good for both the companies and the economy

PRIVATE university, so just gets government funding for research, grants, and student loans. By the way, Republicans want to lessen student aid.
It was pretty late when I wrote that reply so I should clarify about education. I think our public education is atrocious, especially in inner cities. I went to public school, but I was fortunate to go to a good school that prepared me fairly well for college.
I never said that government should tell people what to do. However, they can guide behavior with INCENTIVES for people to enter certain fields. There are loads of manufacturing jobs available in the US due to a dearth of skilled employment. I agree with you that many young people pursue BS degrees (that's flimflam, not bachelors of science).

When conservatives get destroyed with facts, they simply change the subject and don't acknowledge the false points they were screaming minutes earlier. That's not meant to be directed solely at you, but I'm guessing you have nothing to say about those Bush tax cuts anymore?

Haha, I will refute your point with this Fox News video!!! They say they're fair and balanced, so it must be true.

This article is flimflam, and it's flimflam that you choose to use this article to refute a point. It's like if you're writing an article, you use other sources close to you as your primary evidence... ohhhhhh, wait....

But it's not just Gingrich and Romney. Virtually every Republican and conservative across America recognizes what is by now well established in the literature -- the government caused the financial crisis.

No way... you mean this opinion held by two republicans is shared by the whole republican base? And which literature is this well-established? The author's own books?

Under this new Clinton vision, it became federal regulatory policy to force the nation's financial institutions to abandon traditional lending standards for home mortgages, on the grounds that those standards were racially discriminatory, as African Americans and other minorities could not qualify for mortgages to nearly the same degree as whites and Asians. This overregulation reached the point of forcing lenders to discount bad credit history, no credit history, no savings, lack of steady employment, a high ratio of mortgage obligations to income, undocumented income, and inability to finance down payment and closing costs, while counting unemployment benefits and even welfare as income in qualifying for a mortgage. As Sperry documents so thoroughly, this turned into government-sanctioned looting of the banks.

What did the banks and financials do with all those subprime mortgages? They grouped them all together and SOLD them. And that's not even the best part. They then placed a hedge against those toxic mortgages, essentially betting that they would tank.
I won't even go into ACORN... the mere mention of the organization is enough to get any conservative into a fapping frenzy.

There's always a bogeyman. Whether it be ACORN or Obama, conservatives always find something to lay the blame on. It's never anything they've done... these conservative pundits can go fudge themselves, sitting atop their high horse of judgment twisting the facts and outright ignoring others in order to build their case and support their flawed arguments. This article is what Paul Krugman would describe as 'voodoo economics'. It's based on pretenses and fantasies, not numbers and facts (at least, not the correct or relevant numbers).

The truth is that the layman is not capable of making decisions for him or herself when the terms are so convoluted and designed to ensnare, unless there was a lawyer explaining what all the fine print meant.

I'll end with this horsebrick of horsebrick:

The crisis in American media now goes well beyond media bias. The real problem is now outright ideological partisanship and activism. Far too much of America's self-professed media are not journalistic enterprises at all. They are political activist organizations posing as journalistic enterprises. In this crisis, Bloomberg News is just another part of the problem.

Pot, have you met kettle?

And simplistic accounting. Bush ran up the debt during good times (like Blair-Brown) and left the US in a bad position to deal with the bad times. Obama was responding to a crisis while Bush's spending was discretionary and had long term effects. A lot of the debt increase is from Bush policies and endorsed by the Republican congress. The following needs updating but makes the point that Bush ran up the deficit more ...

debt%20changes%20under%20bush%20obama.jpg

What’s also important, but not evident, on this chart is that Obama’s major expenses were temporary — the stimulus is over now — while Bush’s were, effectively, recurring. The Bush tax cuts didn’t just lower revenue for 10 years. It’s clear now that they lowered it indefinitely, which means this chart is understating their true cost. Similarly, the Medicare drug benefit is costing money on perpetuity, not just for two or three years. And Boehner, Ryan and others voted for these laws and, in some cases, helped to craft and pass them.

To relate this specifically to the debt-ceiling debate, we’re not raising the debt ceiling because of the new policies passed in the past two years. We’re raising the debt ceiling because of the accumulated effect of policies passed in recent decades, many of them under Republicans. It’s convenient for whichever side isn’t in power, or wasn’t recently in power, to blame the debt ceiling on the other party. But it isn’t true.

There is a Washington Post article on this with more detail. I'll try and find it.

Can't edit the above article without losing the original content, so I'll add the edit here.

I can't find the original article, but found this description of the chart:

It's based on data from the Congressional Budget Office and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Its significance is not partisan (who's "to blame" for the deficit) but intellectual. It demonstrates the utter incoherence of being very concerned about a structural federal deficit but ruling out of consideration the policy that was largest single contributor to that deficit, namely the Bush-era tax cuts.

An additional significance of the chart: it identifies policy changes, the things over which Congress and Administration have some control, as opposed to largely external shocks -- like the repercussions of the 9/11 attacks or the deep worldwide recession following the 2008 financial crisis. Those external events make a big difference in the deficit, and they are the major reason why deficits have increased faster in absolute terms during Obama's first two years than during the last two under Bush. (In a recession, tax revenues plunge, and government spending goes up - partly because of automatic programs like unemployment insurance, and partly in a deliberate attempt to keep the recession from getting worse.) If you want, you could even put the spending for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in this category: those were policy choices, but right or wrong they came in response to an external shock.

The point is that governments can respond to but not control external shocks. That's why we call them "shocks." Governments can control their policies. And the policy that did the most to magnify future deficits is the Bush-era tax cuts. You could argue that the stimulative effect of those cuts is worth it ("deficits don't matter" etc). But you cannot logically argue that we absolutely must reduce deficits, but that we absolutely must also preserve every penny of those tax cuts. Which I believe precisely describes the House Republican position.

After the jump, from a previous "The Chart That Should..." positing, an illustration of the respective roles of external shock and deliberate policy change in creating the deficit.

UPDATE: Many people have written to ask how the impact of the "Bush-era tax cuts," enacted under George W. Bush and extended under Barack Obama (with the help, as you will recall, of huge pressure from Senate Republicans), is divided between the two presidents. I don't know and have written the creators of the chart to ask. (They have responded to say: it indicates the legacy effects of the changes made by each Administration. For instance, neither Bush nor Obama is credited with the entire cost of Pentagon spending or entitlements, but only the changes his Administration made, up or down. By this logic the long-run effect of tax cuts initiated by Bush is assigned to him, as any long-run effect of savings he initiated would be too.)

But to me it doesn't matter. As I said above, the point of the chart really isn't partisan responsibility. It is the central role of those tax cuts in creating the deficit that is now the focus of such political attention. Call them the "Obama-Extended Tax Cuts" if you'd like: either way, a deficit plan that ignores them fails a basic logic, math, and coherence test.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...y-all-discussions-of-the-debt-ceiling/242484/

Great post....lots more of thos in Clinton's book.

More evidence of revisionist Republican flimflam....this time over 9/11......Clinton owns it!!!

[video=youtube;7DI7u-TytRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DI7u-TytRU[/video]

[video=youtube;rxWUA764H7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWUA764H7E&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;J2-nILTO3dc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2-nILTO3dc&feature=relmfu[/video]

And simplistic accounting. Bush ran up the debt during good times (like Blair-Brown) and left the US in a bad position to deal with the bad times. Obama was responding to a crisis while Bush's spending was discretionary and had long term effects. A lot of the debt increase is from Bush policies and endorsed by the Republican congress. The following needs updating but makes the point that Bush ran up the deficit more ...

There is a Washington Post article on this with more detail. I'll try and find it.

Conservatives love to attribute some of that late Bush spending to Obama. Blatant and consistent disregard for the facts to spin whatever story it is they want to indoctrinate their base with. Thank you Fox News and The Daily Standard, you're on the same level as football journos and ITK.

I don't think Obama will have an easy election, especially with the Republican tactic to decrease the number of voters likely to vote for Obama (by requiring photo ID) under the pretense of minimizing voter fraud. Not to mention Romney is getting in big corporation money that simply can't be matched by Obama's campaign. Most of the Obama money comes from grassroots supporters, with a few wealthy donors chipping in to his Super PAC, whereas Karl Rove and the Poch brothers bankroll the outside groups that can spend unlimited funds on attack ads. fudge Citizens United. Democrat, Republican, or independent, this decision has lessened the impact of voters (last time I checked, corporations couldn't VOTE despite their 'personhood'). I would honestly love to hear a Republican (citizen, not politician) defend the Citizens United decision, and how that decision is a good thing for democracy.
I'll be waiting...

To be honest - I don't see the issue with having to have a photo ID? Surely this will cut down on voter fraud.

Losers always cry foul of voter fraud.....Repubs did it in 2008 and Dems in 2000 & 2004.

Postal voting is the biggest area open to fraud.

To be honest - I don't see the issue with having to have a photo ID? Surely this will cut down on voter fraud.

Losers always cry foul of voter fraud.....Repubs did it in 2008 and Dems in 2000 & 2004.

Postal voting is the biggest area open to fraud.

Except voter fraud doesn't really exist. vote counting is a whole other issue, especially in Florida...
The reason Republicans are for requiring photo ID is because many urban-dwellers (who tend to vote Democrat) don't possess any forms of it. Driver's licenses aren't necessary for people who don't own cars.

You can get alternative forms of ID though.

If you're not smart enough to get some fudging ID you don't deserve to vote.

As you said, the main issue is around the counting machines, pregnant chads, hanging chads etc, and automated machines that people don't trust.

The system we have over here uses a X on a piece of paper and works fine.......not sure why there needs to be such elaborate systems!

You can get alternative forms of ID though.

If you're not smart enough to get some fudging ID you don't deserve to vote.

As you said, the main issue is around the counting machines, pregnant chads, hanging chads etc, and automated machines that people don't trust.

The system we have over here uses a X on a piece of paper and works fine.......not sure why there needs to be such elaborate systems!

That's not even the issue, it's a matter of constitutionality. The intent of the law is to limit certain demographics from voting under the front of limiting voter fraud.
I think you'd be surprised at how many people don't have a driver's license in urban areas. Some states do offer free voter ID cards, so there really isn't any reason NOT to get one of those.

Are you saying that some people without a driver licence won't be able to vote? I don't believe that.

If you don't have a driver ID then there will be alternative ways of validating. Certain demographics? Hmmmm......not with you on this one.

Hillbillys in red states and general white trash are just as likely to vote Republican and be effected by this? IMO??

Are you saying that some people without a driver licence won't be able to vote? I don't believe that.

If you don't have a driver ID then there will be alternative ways of validating. Certain demographics? Hmmmm......not with you on this one.

Hillbillys in red states and general white trash are just as likely to vote Republican and be effected by this? IMO??

Just to clarify a few things: this is a state-by-state measure. Pennsylvania is one of the states that's adopted this. Minority voters will be most affected.
I'm saying that a driver's license is the most common form of photo ID (can't be a birth certificate or social security card). Passports would work as well.
This legislation is targeting URBAN voters (ie, there's MANY of them), a large proportion of them not needing driver's licenses. White trash in trailer parks are relatively few and far between.

Back