• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

how does he rate against canavarro, nesta?

tough to say. It's a different level of football Prem and Italy. I've always thought the greatest of centre backs should have played the fast paced athletic game of the premier league, Ledley King did and continued to play that high level when he didn't even train etc.

I think he's the best ENGLISH centre half of his generation, he definitely has pace over those guys but the best thing about Ledley for me was his reading of the game which was unchallenged by anyone in England.

‘The Spurs fans have always been patient and incredibly supportive with me through difficulty periods’

‘I have always considered this my club and I always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team’

Ledley you are a true legend and one of the few true gentlemen in football, even with those Christmas parties. It’s been a pleasure watching you play, and if you ever feel like running out at White Hart Lane again, you can borrow my knee.

how does he rate against canavarro, nesta?

In terms of ability, just as good if not better. Ledley had everything in his game, EVERYTHING you need to be a worldclass CB. Could have played for any team in the world. Most of all, he combined searing pace & athleticism with ridiculous reading of the game and intelligence. A thinking man's defender with the physical attributes of a world class athelete. Untill the knees gave way that is.

In terms of careers, medals, etc, obviously they absolutely destroy him. But the true question to be asked is, how many other players in world football could not train all week, have two dodgy knees, and still deliver top level performances week in week out, like Ledley has done over the last few seasons?

I'd wager, hardly any.

As far as I am concerned he is the best Defender England has produced since Bobby Moore. He was amazing with the ball, without it and played with integrity, fire and a smile on his face. Never one to just foul he took the ball of defenders with his ability to read the game and his timing. Along with Paul Mcgrath this is a sad day, an amazing player cut down through a dibilitating injury. The fact he kept on playing with it for so long is a testament to his pure ability that even without training he could still play an amazing game. Easily Tottenhams best every Centre back in my eyes, and a true meaning of the word legend.

I hope we fill the ground to the rafters for him. I still remember being at Gary Mabbutts testimonial and it was half full and we got out sung by the Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans who had mad it for the game. I Hope Kings match will be against some decent opposition and we fill up the ground. He deserves that.

I hoped he could be a backup player for us this season too, but oh well. Absolute legend! Been my favorite player for at least 10 years, so it's very sad to see him retire. What a player he was. Best of luck Ledley, and thanks for all the memories! Good luck with your new job, hope you enjoy it. :)

If there is such a thing as a happy ending to this, if Caulker ends up taking his place and being as good as him (very difficult) then Ledley certainly made way at the right time.

Its a sad day that he is having to retire, but I'm sad because injuries meant he never reached his full potential and got the wider recognition he deserved. He had all the footballing and physical skills to be the complete centre-back. He was a Spurs legend and should have been an England legend.

Over the last couple of years we have seen some amazing performances from him, given his inability to train. Last season, though, we saw a few warning signs that he was beginning to struggle. I'm glad that we don't get to see the decline that would be inevitable and can remember the him for the player he was. Farewell Ledley the player, welcome Ambassador Ledley.

[video=youtube;dUfjPtPMA7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUfjPtPMA7Y[/video]

[video=youtube;1bdixs4xqew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bdixs4xqew[/video]

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:

But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills;
For you bouquets and ribboned wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding;
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;

Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head;
It is some dream that on the deck,
You've fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
The ship is anchored safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;

Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

Captain. Leader. Legend. In the truest sense of the word. Makes me proud to be a Spurs fan when we have someone like Ledley King representing our club as opposed to someone like John Terry. I feel great inner sadness that his career has been taken away from him, and that he won't turn out for us again. Can't quite believe it even though it was coming.

'Class Act' is the best description for King. It was made for him. The guy did not have a weakness in his game. Before his latest injury this year, when he played, we won. It was pretty much that simple. He stands up there with the greatest centre backs of all time and it's a crying shame he will probably never be recognised for it.

Back