• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

Well he hasn’t played for Norwich for 6 years and still has fun winding up Ipswich fans. I think some people are taking this a bit too seriously. Yes Maupay is a clam and not a very good footballer but it’s not like he’s celebrating an injury. He’s made fun of Maddison in a clamy way. Maddison could quite easily point out that Maupay has never played for his country despite shamelessly pimping himself out to the national team. Or he could use it as motivation to make sure he’s part of Southgate’s plans after the euros. Or he could choose to ignore it.
Neil Maupay loves a bit of banter

Thrice yesterday someone (Romero I believe) pinged a long ball over the defence for Maddison to be 1-on-1 with Pickford.
Great play.
I forget precisely, but perhaps twice he controlled it well and Pickford was on him and smothered.
One time, he failed to get the right touch and it slipped past him.
But this is a big deal, this is exactly what we need. Sometimes short passes, sometimes an accurate pass like that to completely jump over the midfield and defence.
I also remember Bissouma playing a backspin pass to Deki in behind, and Romero spraying it around, switching play, really great play that isn't just short passing.

But he needs to put at least one of them in.

He's looking better than previous season but still not to the level where Cole palmer, odegard etc are impacting their teams already.

Hopefully it's a matter of fitness and he will step up soon. We will need him at their level if we are looking at Europe again next season.

But yeah, seems like Ange has allowed more variation in play imo.

Thrice yesterday someone (Romero I believe) pinged a long ball over the defence for Maddison to be 1-on-1 with Pickford.
Great play.
I forget precisely, but perhaps twice he controlled it well and Pickford was on him and smothered.
One time, he failed to get the right touch and it slipped past him.
But this is a big deal, this is exactly what we need. Sometimes short passes, sometimes an accurate pass like that to completely jump over the midfield and defence.
I also remember Bissouma playing a backspin pass to Deki in behind, and Romero spraying it around, switching play, really great play that isn't just short passing.
Agreed.

Think we're seeing the striker drop a bit deeper more this season (and in preseason) than most of the times last season. Solanke is better suited to that than Richarlison and Son imo. With that those Dele Alli style runs from Maddison really is something he should look for in games.

I thought he looked more like his best yesterday, however i have said before that Maddison has always been a hit and miss player at his previous clubs and he was here last season. The guy has a LOT of talent but he goes through periods where he can look like a player who is going through the motions.

As i said he has all the talent but for whatever reasons he has these games when he drifts through games.
Bit like our conversation on Bissouma. A need there for more consistency.

On Maddison I think it's also how well the players around him play. Didn't think he was as bad as some seem to in the second half of last season. But we were struggling as a team and a hell of a lot of responsibility was on Maddison.

Hopefully with the new lads coming in they can take some of that creative responsibility and give us a real option for Maddison when he's either not fully fit or not on form.

But, as with Bissouma, a big season for him where the aim should be more consistency.

Bit like our conversation on Bissouma. A need there for more consistency.

On Maddison I think it's also how well the players around him play. Didn't think he was as bad as some seem to in the second half of last season. But we were struggling as a team and a hell of a lot of responsibility was on Maddison.

Hopefully with the new lads coming in they can take some of that creative responsibility and give us a real option for Maddison when he's either not fully fit or not on form.

But, as with Bissouma, a big season for him where the aim should be more consistency.

Fair point, i think the main reason some were complaining about his form in the second half of the season was because he was very good in the start. As i said though he was like that at Norwich and Leicester [ great at times but poor at other times]. My concerns really are is why he does have these ups and downs in form, at his age and experiance he should not really be that way, i know everyone has bad games but its seems to be the normal for him and hard to explain. I hope he can get to the stage where he is not so hit and miss.

Fair point. KDB though does it against everyone most of the time and can kill the opponents and the game ... Maddison not so much

KDB of two years ago .. if you really watch City, KDB drifts in and out of games for long periods, to me he has noticeably declined.

What KDB often does it what Maddison failed to do yesterday (Assist aside) and against Leicester, when the chance came to him to score/kill the game, he takes it ... Maddison has probably had 3-4 1:1 opportunities in first 2 games, has to take those to be elite.

To be fair, start of season, fitness, etc, saw Watkins miss two way easier chances (unfortunately against the Scum) this week-end.

Fair point, i think the main reason some were complaining about his form in the second half of the season was because he was very good in the start. As i said though he was like that at Norwich and Leicester [ great at times but poor at other times]. My concerns really are is why he does have these ups and downs in form, at his age and experiance he should not really be that way, i know everyone has bad games but its seems to be the normal for him and hard to explain. I hope he can get to the stage where he is not so hit and miss.

His numbers are very good overall, which means at some point if he's not contributing, when he is, it's elite level.

I believe when we were looking at him at Leicester there was a bit of a theory that he gets injured, and takes a while to find form post injury, not sure if that explains.

To your point, the season he single handedly kept Leicester up and that first 10 games for us last season is the level he needs to aim for. IF he doesn't, he might find Bervall playing a bit more.

His numbers are very good overall, which means at some point if he's not contributing, when he is, it's elite level.

I believe when we were looking at him at Leicester there was a bit of a theory that he gets injured, and takes a while to find form post injury, not sure if that explains.

To your point, the season he single handedly kept Leicester up and that first 10 games for us last season is the level he needs to aim for. IF he doesn't, he might find Bervall playing a bit more.

There is no doubt imo that he is a very good player and when he is on his game he really runs a game, but as i say at his previous clubs he has been up and down in form. My son in law is a Norwich ST holder and he and i discussed him a lot when we first went for him here, his honest opinion is that he was great in some games but missing in others and no one could work it out.

He has got a bit of history for getting injured but so do a lot of players and most can return to form quite quicky so i am not sure that is the only problem with him. I Hope he returns to the form he showed at the begining of last season [ he was our best player] and goes on to be a matchwinner for us in many games.

We are mostly in agreement I think. It's up to him, and the coaching staff, and his teammates to get to the point where he can perform consistently.

I just also think that a period of less impressive performances is often ascribed to form when there may be other issues causing it. Including fitness of course, but also the tactics and overall play of the team.

When he was brilliant at the start of last season the team was excellent overall. We played with loads of energy. We also had wide options in Solomon and Perisic who didn't play much, weren't exactly brilliant, but offered a different threat.

As an example. Say we play with a front three lacking creativity and balance, all primarily wanting to be fed the ball in behind or fed service (Son, Richarlison and Johnson for example). And tiring full backs not playing with as much intensity and energy. That leaves Maddison in a really difficult spot with so much creative responsibility. He would have to be perfect to perform consistently. That's a big ask. That was the situation much of the second half of last season. If that was the main game plan for this season I wouldn't expect consistency from Maddison.

Compare that to the Everton game. Odobert there to combine with and also someone who offers a threat on his own in many situations. Udogie playing with energy (particularly in the first half). Kulusevski there making moves and doing quality stuff on the ball.

We still want consistency from Maddison in those circumstances. But he doesn't have to be perfect to perform well. That builds confidence, creates flow, leading to more consistency.

There is no doubt imo that he is a very good player and when he is on his game he really runs a game, but as i say at his previous clubs he has been up and down in form. My son in law is a Norwich ST holder and he and i discussed him a lot when we first went for him here, his honest opinion is that he was great in some games but missing in others and no one could work it out.

He has got a bit of history for getting injured but so do a lot of players and most can return to form quite quicky so i am not sure that is the only problem with him. I Hope he returns to the form he showed at the begining of last season [ he was our best player] and goes on to be a matchwinner for us in many games.

So here is a very interesting stat re Maddison's form, 5 seasons, the form in 4 of those is not game to game but 1st half of season vs. 2nd. Is this a fitness/fatigue issue?

Maddison.JPG

Maybe, but he seems slow to recover to fitness.

Not sure Maddison is short on confidence, if anything he looks over confident at times.

Listening to his interview after the everton game. It came across that he needs to feel confident in his body. Specifically his ankle. Said it feels good which made him feel good.

Listening to his interview after the everton game. It came across that he needs to feel confident in his body. Specifically his ankle. Said it feels good which made him feel good.

Well lets hope he stays fit and plays well, he has ability for sure.

Must admit, still trying to get my head around Madds. I guess you never really watch these players until they pull on your shirt. Last season was a bit fractured with his own injuries and the general club transitional period.

On the positive side, the guy has started over 250 games and scored 67 goals and 57 assists. That is a very credible record considering he's not played at the bigger clubs. He looks like the guy that can be the assister to the assister rather than own the key stats in his game. Last season, he was the only one that dropped deep and could play the mid-range pass. The rest were trying to play 5-a-side from our goals to their's and we all know that will never work.

I just wish he would roll his sleeves up more in the tougher periods of our games. He needs to be more prime Dele or Eriksen who would turn us from back foot to front foot with their running and total insistence on receiving the ball and dictating play. I think he has it in him, but there are a few doubts.

Must admit, still trying to get my head around Madds. I guess you never really watch these players until they pull on your shirt. Last season was a bit fractured with his own injuries and the general club transitional period.

On the positive side, the guy has started over 250 games and scored 67 goals and 57 assists. That is a very credible record considering he's not played at the bigger clubs. He looks like the guy that can be the assister to the assister rather than own the key stats in his game. Last season, he was the only one that dropped deep and could play the mid-range pass. The rest were trying to play 5-a-side from our goals to their's and we all know that will never work.

I just wish he would roll his sleeves up more in the tougher periods of our games. He needs to be more prime Dele or Eriksen who would turn us from back foot to front foot with their running and total insistence on receiving the ball and dictating play. I think he has it in him, but there are a few doubts.
Dele and Eriknse were running machines and covered so much ground
Maddison doesn’t appear to be that kind of athlete

Back