• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

It's not 100% down to Lloris, him and Walker share the blame, they both should have done better.

As it's kind of been covered the way Lloris plays there are always going to be a few mistakes, but if it's 1 **** up in 1000 I'll take that, the amount of chances he cuts out before they can develop is superb.

Nope. I said above that he was right where he should have been. Unfortunately it went through his legs. My point was just that it took all three elements for that goal to happen. If he'd cleared it off the line we wouldn't be talking about the other two gaffs.

If Verts had kept his legs together it would not have been a goal either. He did well and was standing on the goal line right where he should have been and Downing struck it right at him.

Hard to blame any one player, as that goal was the perfect storm clustetf*ck of three consecutive incidents -Walker's stupid backpass, Lloris' failed clearance and Verts getting nutmegged.

But if Verts had his legs close together than it would have been much easier to finish either side of him as he wouldn't have the right stance to be able to move left or right quickly. I don't think he did anything wrong, we'd have gone mental if his feet were planted together and it went either side of him

It's not 100% down to Lloris, him and Walker share the blame, they both should have done better.

As it's kind of been covered the way Lloris plays there are always going to be a few mistakes, but if it's 1 **** up in 1000 I'll take that, the amount of chances he cuts out before they can develop is superb.

Yep. Both Walker and Lloris are to blame. It's his first fudge up that I can remember for Spurs. Other than that he's been top class.

But if Verts had his legs close together than it would have been much easier to finish either side of him as he wouldn't have the right stance to be able to move left or right quickly. I don't think he did anything wrong, we'd have gone mental if his feet were planted together and it went either side of him

Maybe but Downing had plenty to aim for either side of Vertonghen anyway, legs closed or not. I think it was just a hit and hope as there was no way he meant that.

The reason why im not blaming Lloris is because he should not have been put in that situation in the first place, if it was a ball on the floor and he had time and then tried to take on Downing or pass round him and he failed then I would blame him. It was an awful awful ball back to him, one which put him under immense pressure and he did what he thought was best under the circumstances. As soon as the ball left Walkers fault it was most likely going to end up in a goal so 100% blame to Walker for me...

The reason why im not blaming Lloris is because he should not have been put in that situation in the first place, if it was a ball on the floor and he had time and then tried to take on Downing or pass round him and he failed then I would blame him. It was an awful awful ball back to him, one which put him under immense pressure and he did what he thought was best under the circumstances. As soon as the ball left Walkers fault it was most likely going to end up in a goal so 100% blame to Walker for me...

Yes, it was a comedy of errors and rather like watching a car crash in slow motion.

While it's true that Lloris could have done better, the blame didn't originate with him.

Let's hope all the players involved have learned their lessons from this and we can move on with the rest of the season.

Yes, it was a comedy of errors and rather like watching a car crash in slow motion.

While it's true that Lloris could have done better, the blame didn't originate with him.

Let's hope all the players involved have learned their lessons from this and we can move on with the rest of the season.

I forget who said it but some clever football geezer once said that MOST goals are the result of more than one mistake. I am confident based on what has hapened so far this season, that AVB will work on the mistakes thrown up by this game. Except for the Sigg's predilection for hitting the woodwork.

8545812230_5571547456_o.gif

I forget who said it but some clever football geezer once said that MOST goals are the result of more than one mistake. I am confident based on what has hapened so far this season, that AVB will work on the mistakes thrown up by this game. Except for the Sigg's predilection for hitting the woodwork.

Yep. Things happen as a culmination. What would have happened if a forward was available to receive a pass from Walker and he was not "forced" to make a back pass? It is a team game.

Yep. Things happen as a culmination. What would have happened if a forward was available to receive a pass from Walker and he was not "forced" to make a back pass? It is a team game.

Someone like, say, Lennon. Who was out. And, in the end, we missed him, though only through the most ludicrous of ways.

I don't understand why people are blaming Lloris for that goal against Liverpool.

"He should just put his foot through it" I've seen a couple of times. The Liverpool player was close enough that it would be far from risk free to just boot it, that would also mean a higher risk of getting sent off I think. Had he gone for the "Just put his foot though it" option and it had gone wrong I think people would be saying that he should have been more careful and just dinked it away more carefully. Hugo made a quick decision in a difficult situation, trying to save Walker's mistake and almost got there. No mistake in my book.

I don't understand why people are blaming Lloris for that goal against Liverpool.

"He should just put his foot through it" I've seen a couple of times. The Liverpool player was close enough that it would be far from risk free to just boot it, that would also mean a higher risk of getting sent off I think. Had he gone for the "Just put his foot though it" option and it had gone wrong I think people would be saying that he should have been more careful and just dinked it away more carefully. Hugo made a quick decision in a difficult situation, trying to save Walker's mistake and almost got there. No mistake in my book.

Because he had the chance to get rid and didn't?

The opposition player being close doesn't usually stop him when he's sweeping. Why would it for this case?

If he puts his foot through it he's never going to get sent off. Even if he takes Downing out, the fact that he gets the ball means it'd be a yellow at worst. Especially with Verts covering behind him.

I don't see the higher risk at all there. He boots it hard, most likely it still hits Downing but either takes him away from goal to the wing, it bounces back towards the liverpool goal where our players are trying to get back or the ball bounces towards our goal, where Verts is ready to pick up the pieces.

He made the wrong choice. That is a mistake. I can't see that as anything but a mistake.

Last edited:
Because he had the chance to get rid and didn't?

The opposition player being close doesn't usually stop him when he's sweeping. Why would it for this case?

If he puts his foot through it he's never going to get sent off. Even if he takes Downing out, the fact that he gets the ball means it'd be a yellow at worst.

I don't see the higher risk at all there. He boots it hard, most likely it still hits Downing but either takes him away from goal to the wing, it bounces back towards the liverpool goal where our players are trying to get back or the ball bounces towards our goal at pace, where Verts is ready to pick up the pieces.

He made the wrong choice. That is a mistake. I can't see that as anything but a mistake.

Of course if you know 100% that you will get the ball then you can put your foot through it without a risk of getting sent off. But in those situations it's not that easy to be 100% secure and if you go for, lunge at the player and you're second to the ball you're most likely off. If you go in slightly more controlled you have a chance of pulling out of the situation. You talk about other situations this season, but not committing and being able to pull out of a situation has been the case several times this season and has saves him and us.

Most likely when he tries to just toe poke it away from Downing it goes away from him and the situation is cleared. It just didn't this time. To judge a decision you shouldn't just look at the outcome, but also at the possible outcomes and (as far as possible) the chances for each outcome. Like I said had he booted it hard and it had ended up as a goal against someone would almost surely claim that he made the wrong decision then.

Are you arguing that in those situations, with the attacker very close, it will always be better to just boot it and not try to dink it past them with a softer touch. I think you have to argue that case to argue that it was a mistake.

Of course if you know 100% that you will get the ball then you can put your foot through it without a risk of getting sent off. But in those situations it's not that easy to be 100% secure and if you go for, lunge at the player and you're second to the ball you're most likely off. If you go in slightly more controlled you have a chance of pulling out of the situation. You talk about other situations this season, but not committing and being able to pull out of a situation has been the case several times this season and has saves him and us.

Most likely when he tries to just toe poke it away from Downing it goes away from him and the situation is cleared. It just didn't this time. To judge a decision you shouldn't just look at the outcome, but also at the possible outcomes and (as far as possible) the chances for each outcome. Like I said had he booted it hard and it had ended up as a goal against someone would almost surely claim that he made the wrong decision then.

Are you arguing that in those situations, with the attacker very close, it will always be better to just boot it and not try to dink it past them with a softer touch. I think you have to argue that case to argue that it was a mistake.

Not always better no. When there is no covering defender it would be a dangerous thing to do.

However there was a covering defender. So it was the wrong course of action.

It's the first error he's made that's lead to a goal, and that's pretty good for a keeper. I would be playing favourites if i tried to declare that 'there was nothing he could have done about it.'

Last edited:
Not always better no. When there is no covering defender it would be a dangerous thing to do.

However there was a covering defender. So it was the wrong course of action.

Is this something you've thought about or heard about previously or just something you're figuring out now because it fits your argument? Just out of curiosity...

I've never heard of this as "a thing" or "a rule of thumb for goalkeepers".

Is this something you've thought about or heard about previously or just something you're figuring out now because it fits your argument? Just out of curiosity...

I've never heard of this as "a thing" or "a rule of thumb for goalkeepers".

Er.. no.

It's a thing for the defence. When you are the last man you don't make the stupid tackles. However when you are not the last man you can do so.

A keeper outside of his box is more an outfield defender than a goalkeeper.

Is not a clear goalscoring chance with the defender back, therefore would never be a red card, therefore you can afford to take the risk of taking the player out.

Players take yellow cards all the time to stop these sorts of opportunities.

Last edited:
Hugo Lloris tipped for greatness
March 25, 2013
By Ian Holyman, France Correspondent

The man who helped turn Hugo Lloris from promising talent into France captain believes his one-time protégé will soon be recognised as one of the world's greatest goalkeepers.

Shot-stopper of France's Euro 84-winnning side, Joel Bats, 56, has been goalkeeping coach at Lyon since 2004, working alongside France international Gregory Coupet at Stade de Gerland.

Bats also coached Bernard Lama at Paris Saint-Germain and closely followed the career of 1998 World Cup winner Fabien Barthez, but believes Lloris, 26, is the best goalkeeper France have produced yet.

"I see him going really high in the game. He is already, but I see him going still further. The generation of Buffon, Casillas, is going to start getting too old. He's the one who's going to inherit from those giants," Bats, who was Lloris' mentor from his arrival at OL from Nice in 2008 until last summer's departure for Tottenham Hotspur, told Le Parisien.

"He's better than me, that's for sure! Because everything happens much more quickly now. Hugo is the most talented goalkeeper with which I've worked.

"Bernard Lama had great potential too, but as well as that, Hugo has a thirst to win, to pick up trophies. In comparison to Fabien Barthez, Hugo is establishing himself in England, something Fabien didn't necessarily do. Hugo's got his whole future in front of him, and for a long time to come."

Since Barthez's up-and-down stint at Manchester United, English clubs have not coveted French goalkeepers in the same way as their outfield compatriots.

However, after seeing off competition from Brad Friedel for the No. 1 spot at White Hart Lane, Bats believes Lloris is restoring French goalkeepers' good name, and introducing a new genre to the art of Premier League goalkeeping.

Bats said: "He's bringing a little French savoir faire into English football. The English are not really used to coming out of their six-yard box to deal with deep balls. He's a goalkeeper who tries not to be dictated to, who tries to cause opponents problems, and who doesn't let them do things easily.

"He's aggressive as we've always tried to be. I didn't think it would take him as long to establish himself at Tottenham. He needed to learn to be patient. He had the impression that he wasn't working enough compared to what he did at Lyon. Now he's in a rhythm which suits him better."

------------------------------------------

I am still not really impressed with him. He rarely makes mistakes but have not made too many world class saves for us either. I guess until he makes those "impossible" saves, either from open play or penalties, and help us keep more clean sheets, I won't understand why he is so "special" like his fans claim.

Back