• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2020

You can understand Rashford, but Sancho has scored three penalties in his career (excluding youth games) and Saka none (unless you count his U18 goal in the FA Youth cup against Spurs in January 2019).

Why oh why did they get to take the two decisive penalties in the European cup final???

He was a kick of the ball away from delivering something for England that literally no one else has.

Italy was the first real test. We were setup well, the two screening midfielders was decent, but Philips for me is not good enough against the best. And Mount is an odd choice when you have Rashford, Grealish and Sancho. Surely any of them would offer more?

Where @djp82 is spot on is how Southgate managed the game. It was clear what was happening at the end of the first half. Southgate was oblivious to it. Clearly did nothing to address it, and the players came back out looking scared. Southgagte is a manager who is well prepared, but wasn't able to see what was happening live and address it.

“a lot more” would literally be a two-penalty swing to win the European Championship. That’s a pretty high fudging bar you’re setting.

I see where you are coming from but does not hide the fact Southgate is a crap manager. Simple as that for me.

Italy was the first real test. We were setup well, the two screening midfielders was decent, but Philips for me is not good enough against the best. And Mount is an odd choice when you have Rashford, Grealish and Sancho. Surely any of them would offer more?

Where @djp82 is spot on is how Southgate managed the game. It was clear what was happening at the end of the first half. Southgate was oblivious to it. Clearly did nothing to address it, and the players came back out looking scared. Southgagte is a manager who is well prepared, but wasn't able to see what was happening live and address it.

Thats a bit unfair. Thought he did badly tonight and Italy were a cut above England but they beat Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany and Denmark. All good sides. He's gotten kind draws but Southgate has gotten to a semi and a final when the likes of Venables and Robson are venerated for getting to one semi each.

As soon as someone half-decent comes along he'll be ousted from that number one spot. He's not good enough most of the time, but tonight he was one of the better players for England.
Agreed . Had a wobbly moment or two but been pretty solid in the Euros. Think Henderson will be the No1 before next season is done.

@tommysvr a good manager would have won that game in 90 mins or failing that in extra time. With skillful players on the bench and home advantage a decent manager sees that game out for a win.

Why do you have a divine right to win this match? “A good manager would have wont that game in 90 mins” - you played the best team in the tournament. A team who hasn’t lost in 34 matches. Who’ve not conceded more than a single goal in a match in that time.

I agree Southgate’s game management was poor — no idea how Mount stayed on that long — but, again, you were a two-penalty swing from him being a national hero. And that’s no exaggeration. He would probably have been knighted.

Thats a bit unfair. Thought he did badly tonight and Italy were a cut above England but they beat Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany and Denmark. All good sides. He's gotten kind draws but Southgate has gotten to a semi and a final when the likes of Venables and Robson are venerated for getting to one semi each.

All decent sides, but not elite. France, Spain, Italy, Brazil etc. being elite.

I do credit Southgate for setting up a decent side, we were hard to beat. But his middling slightly negative vibes were meek when it mattered in the final. Some courage and simply observing and reacting to what was happening, and he becomes a hero. We had a pretty easy draw to win that. Even Italy were not as hard say Spain and France, though Italians management and team ethic is second to none.

Back