• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

The best team doesn't always win. If you are good enough to get to the finals, you have a shot.

The fact that this club has made a QF or better 21+ times in 21 years, plus being in top three, 3 times and has only managed 1 win quite honestly should be the basis for some serious debate way beyond some tired narrative of investment.
I think we should ignore quarter finals…. You are still 3 wins from a trophy at that point.

Equally, even when finishing top 4 in the league we were always a long way behind the winners.

I think we should ignore quarter finals…. You are still 3 wins from a trophy at that point.

Equally, even when finishing top 4 in the league we were always a long way behind the winners.

I think it's 8 or 9 FA cup SF's without progression, the numbers are still ridiculously one sided during a period where several other clubs fluked it, including sides no longer in the PL

I think it's 8 or 9 FA cup SF's without progression, the numbers are still ridiculously one sided during a period where several other clubs fluked it, including sides no longer in the PL
Every semi we have lost though apart from Portsmouth was against the best side we had played up to that point, so it’s also kinda natural
But it’s also shows a lack of a winning mentality too

Every semi we have lost though apart from Portsmouth was against the best side we had played up to that point, so it’s also kinda natural
But it’s also shows a lack of a winning mentality too
And (the point I keep on coming back to) is that those ‘bigger’ teams that beat us have tended to always have more depth of quality in the squad than us due to them investing far more in transfer fees and wages. FA Cup semi finals are played in the part of the season when players are at their most tired and squads are at their most stretched. Ergo, the team with the better squad tends to win.

Had we been fighting for nothing in the league then I expect we would’ve got over the line and won an FA Cup on one or two occasions by resting players for the league games (as Mourinho wanted to do for the League Cup final against Emirates Marketing Project before Levy sacked him for deciding on taking that stance).

Unfit Kane in the CL final.

We lost that to a team including origi and Henderson, I’m not having strength of squad being the factor for that game, we just bottled it.

They were at the end of a season where they got 97 points in the league and had lost the CL final 12 months previously. No way they were losing that night.

It did not help that Poch made a poor decision by starting an unfit Kane who did nothing the whole evening. One of the biggest errors of his Spurs career

My position since seeing Levy up close in the Amazon documentary was that he was clueless about football and needed to step back completely from any football related decisions.
He has almost done that.
But he again will be the one making the decision on the manager. He also signed Spence on a solo run. He can't keep away.

Now we are stuck in a situation where we really shouldn't be signing players to suit the current manager. His contract is up in 4 months and might not even make it a month.
There is no point in signing a right wing back if next month's manager will play a defensive right back.

That stems from the issue that the club has no footballing identity. No set style of play. That comes from the top.
If you set out from the top that the club play attacking football or creative football, then you sign these sorts of players.
You get a manager that will play this style or else he gets removed and replaced by a manager who will.

Then you don't have to rip up the team every 2 years when go from a pressing manager to a counter attacking manager.

It wouldn't happen at Bayern, Barcelona or Brighton.

Yet Levy's new manager search has always been based upon the qualities that the last manager was missing rather than any football philosophy.

My position since seeing Levy up close in the Amazon documentary was that he was clueless about football and needed to step back completely from any football related decisions.
He has almost done that.
But he again will be the one making the decision on the manager. He also signed Spence on a solo run. He can't keep away.

Now we are stuck in a situation where we really shouldn't be signing players to suit the current manager. His contract is up in 4 months and might not even make it a month.
There is no point in signing a right wing back if next month's manager will play a defensive right back.

That stems from the issue that the club has no footballing identity. No set style of play. That comes from the top.
If you set out from the top that the club play attacking football or creative football, then you sign these sorts of players.
You get a manager that will play this style or else he gets removed and replaced by a manager who will.

Then you don't have to rip up the team every 2 years when go from a pressing manager to a counter attacking manager.

Yet Levy's new manager search has always been based upon the qualities that the last manager was missing rather than any football philosophy.

Yip.

Even worse, there has just been a 6 week window to deal with current managerial issues, and to discuss the path ahead. By the third or fourth week of the World Cup break an agreement about future plans should have been made between both parties, and a decision made by the board on who should be in charge for the rest of the season, and moving forward.

Instead we are seemingly locked into the kind of limbo we’ve seen at least twice before in recent years. Worse we’re in a crucial transfer window, and facing the possibility that should we allow Conte to spend on players he wants he could well be off in a few months time.

Pretty poor stuff from the board.

He has almost done that.

I wouldn't read too much into what was seen in the Amazon documentary, most of it was staged.

With Paratici in place it should be him that has the majority of the input in any new manager and ensures that we start having some continuity in style between managers. Levy will naturally be involved to a certain degree with contracts etc. But if Paratici isn't the main driver there is something seriously wrong.

Back