• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Adds a well-rounded dimension to our play that isn't actually all that common with strikers. I think he actually makes the most passes and key passes out of all the forwards in this league (like I've said before, only Reus and Jovetic come close among the strikers we've been linked to). That (along with his quick feet and mind) have been really critical to our success in counterattacking this season, because our more direct wingers rarely get as involved in possession and we can't endure too much pressure on our midfield, as many of our midfielders are not particularly defensively disciplined.

Unfortunately he's not an aggressive or clinical goalscorer - anyone at Arsenal could've told you that - and Defoe is too one-dimensional to lead the line. But if you want some magical complete superstriker, you have to pay for it, and realistically, we can't afford it. Our club record is still 16.5m for Modric - and what does that give you in striker's terms these days? One of Cavani's toes? One of Suarez's lawyers? Darren Bent alone cost 24m ffs!

Unless we get extremely lucky, we're not going to get any better in terms of forwards, and that should not come as a surprise when five other clubs in our league alone pay better wages and greater fees, and other foreign sugardaddy clubs are busy inflating the market. It's not just our particular situation - a squad difficult to improve, a stubborn chairman, a manager still coy about leaving this summer - that makes it difficult for us - it's football in general, and the hilarious wages even average players demand nowadays, while wealthier clubs stockpile the good ones for fun.

If we want players on Ade's level or better, we'll have to gamble more on 'potential' and pray for luck, or start begging for funds from Joe Lewis. It makes me laugh when people say players we (supposedly) can afford like Leandro or Remy are somehow proven better because they score more, when their style is completely different and they play in bricker leagues (I might also note that Defoe scores at a better rate than either, but couldn't buy a start for us). If anything, we'll be better off finding some no-name in the Uruguayan league or Barca B for a few million who can emulate Ade's strong points even if they barely ever score: ie. ability to play with their back to goal, win aerial duels, stick the ball to their feet, move intelligently out wide and deep, link up with the midfielders, etc.

Are they going to be raw and frustrate us since they're not perfect, yes, but we have to be realistic here and realize we are not going to be competing with Inter and Chelsea for superstars anytime soon, and it is highly unlikely that whoever we buy will be much better than a striker who is an integral part of the reason we are having our best season in years.

stating the obvious here...but he holds the ball well & his link up play is very good...seriously hope we keep him at the club

We will miss him massively on Sunday

I won't, I'll be too busy watching Tottenham Hotspur rip up the pitch and bury Emirates Marketing Project.

we will adapt and push on, whining like bitches because Adebayor has a weekend off doesn't benefit anyone.

Don't go making those negative waves, man

I won't, I'll be too busy watching Tottenham Hotspur rip up the pitch and bury Emirates Marketing Project.

we will adapt and push on, whining like bitches because Adebayor has a weekend off doesn't benefit anyone.

Don't go making those negative waves, man

Agreed.

Lottery winners will be missing both Toures, Kompany and Richards. That's worse than a currently misfiring Adebayor.

<SNIP> and we can't endure too much pressure on our midfield, as many of our midfielders are not particularly defensively disciplined.

<SNIP> while wealthier clubs stockpile the good ones for fun.

If we want players on Ade's level or better, we'll have to gamble more on 'potential' and pray for luck, or start begging for funds from Joe Lewis. It makes me laugh when people say players we (supposedly) can afford like Leandro or Remy are somehow proven better because they score more, when their style is completely different and they play in bricker leagues (I might also note that Defoe scores at a better rate than either, but couldn't buy a start for us). If anything, we'll be better off finding some no-name in the Uruguayan league or Barca B for a few million who can emulate Ade's strong points even if they barely ever score: ie. ability to play with their back to goal, win aerial duels, stick the ball to their feet, move intelligently out wide and deep, link up with the midfielders, etc.

<SNIP>, and it is highly unlikely that whoever we buy will be much better than a striker who is an integral part of the reason we are having our best season in years.

errm Sandro, Parker and to an extent Livermore - are proof that that particular comment is largely baseless. We put out a midfield based on the team strength of creative speedy attacking, not obdurate Wolves defending.

Berbatov proves that there are players out there of proven ability that are playing at a good level and are affordable, but the point that the really good are only currently attainable by the vanity project clubs with megabucks backing is now an established fact.

and we wont buy him, unless he gets his head around the fact that no-one is going to pay the obscene wage that he is currently on and that he will have to come back to reality.

we will adapt and push on, whining like bitches because Adebayor has a weekend off doesn't benefit anyone.Don't go making those negative waves, man

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

Ade has been an integral part of our game for the past few months, and any other striker combination we play, be it Defoe and VDV, Defoe alone, or (heaven forbid) Defoe/VDV and Pav, will be relatively unfamiliar and probably inferior to our team had we had Ade in the team.

Either way, I am confident that we'll beat City, only that it will be a bit more difficult without Adebayor

Ade has been an integral part of our game for the past few months, and any other striker combination we play, be it Defoe and VDV, Defoe alone, or (heaven forbid) Defoe/VDV and Pav, will be relatively unfamiliar and probably inferior to our team had we had Ade in the team.

Either way, I am confident that we'll beat City, only that it will be a bit more difficult without Adebayor

spot on..

I get fed up with doom mongers who have so little faith in the team, players club or management, that the minute something goes wrong, the world coming to an end is predicted.
Personally, if we dont win a thing and finish 5th - I'll still think myself lucky to have seen Spurs teams play as well as we have done to now, playing with style and panache - living the Tottenham way and winning by going out and beating the opposition, not by waiting for them to die of boredom (see Wolves for details.)

Emirates Marketing Project have lost two of their last 3 games and were far from convincing in their win against Wigan. Great time to play them. Ade has improved the side, but not to the extent that we can't win without him.

Back