• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

A steel bike does often weigh more than an aluminium but that's not to say it is particularly heavy. A Reynolds 953 frame, for example, actually feels pretty light. Plus the components can contribute significantly to the weight.

Steel is comfier, sturdier, repairable, upgradeable and yes, more beautiful.

What's on your list of possible bikes?

Here are the options:

http://cyclesolutions-shop.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?catid=6&filter1=Mens%20or%20Unisex

So far my shortlist is just one bike as I have no idea what to look for!:

- Giant Defy 1 Compact 2012

I really enjoyed the keirin, but I don't understand it? why have 6 laps behind the motorbbike? just have 1 or 2 and then pull off. For me it's like having 60 laps behind the Safety car in F1 then 5 laps of all out racing. Which actually might be quite good haha

I agree - can someone elaborate as to why the fudge this is?

its just silly - if you need to pick up the pace gradually (which doesnt need to be done for the other races so it seems) then have the five or six laps behind an old codger then have another six laps of blown out racing.

I agree - can someone elaborate as to why the fudge this is?

its just silly - if you need to pick up the pace gradually (which doesnt need to be done for the other races so it seems) then have the five or six laps behind an old codger then have another six laps of blown out racing.

The Japanese came up with it. Nuff said.

Sports Personality of the year!

This press conference is from May but its probably new to a lot of people.

[video=youtube;OxWPdnjk3I8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxWPdnjk3I8[/video]

Explain someone please

So Cavendish is the best sprinter we have - why is he not part of the team? Was it his choice?

Explain someone please

So Cavendish is the best sprinter we have - why is he not part of the team? Was it his choice?

To qualify he would have needed to compete in a track world cup in the last 2 years. He's been paid millions to win races on the road. It would be like Rooney taking time off playing for ?United to play an indoor footie game to qualify for the indoor world cup or something.

Explain someone please

He's the best road sprinter, but he was not a track sprinter. You have to remember that a road sprinter is doing the sprint after 200km of racing. Its more like a sprint finish at the end of a marathon.

In Beijing he raced the Madison and famously was the only member of the track team not to get a medal. In his analyst stint with the BBC he said he was in the pursuit squad to start with. I don't know if he was not good enough (there was a lot of competition, Wiggins etc) or whether he preferred the idea of road cycling. Either way he's found his niche and should end up the best sprinter in tour racing.

To qualify he would have needed to compete in a track world cup in the last 2 years. He's been paid millions to win races on the road. It would be like Rooney taking time off playing for ?United to play an indoor footie game to qualify for the indoor world cup or something.

Ahh interesting. But didnt Wiggins compete in both? Why didnt Cavendish (as in he just chose to do road racing and not indoor?)

He's the best road sprinter, but he was not a track sprinter. You have to remember that a road sprinter is doing the sprint after 200km of racing. Its more like a sprint finish at the end of a marathon.

In Beijing he raced the Madison and famously was the only member of the track team not to get a medal. In his analyst stint with the BBC he said he was in the pursuit squad to start with. I don't know if he was not good enough (there was a lot of competition, Wiggins etc) or whether he preferred the idea of road cycling. Either way he's found his niche and should end up the best sprinter in tour racing.

That makes sense. thanks.

Ahh interesting. But didnt Wiggins compete in both? Why didnt Cavendish (as in he just chose to do road racing and not indoor?)

Wiggins only did the road events. Ultimately it comes down to money. Wiggins and Cavendish are on multimillion pound contracts as professional road cyclists. The Track cyclists would be on Team GB lottery money.

Wiggins only did the road events. Ultimately it comes down to money. Wiggins and Cavendish are on multimillion pound contracts as professional road cyclists. The Track cyclists would be on Team GB lottery money.

Oh yeah he did didnt he - my bad.

I didnt really think that cyclists get that much in terms of money. Obviously I underestimated it

Oh yeah he did didnt he - my bad.

I didnt really think that cyclists get that much in terms of money. Obviously I underestimated it

Only the very top guys like Wiggins, Cav, Evans, Contador would be on top money of 1.5m - 2m a year.
There's a huge gap then down to the average pro. They'd be on something in the region of 150k.

The top track cyclists like Hoy and Pendleton will have pretty good endorsement deals. Of course, Wiggins and Cavendish will also have those on top of their team contracts.

The individual sprint is a weird competition as well, if you start to sprint too late you are screwed pretty much. Awesome power though.

Back