• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Never hugging or kissing anyone would do more. Should we make that a law?

Covid is now less fatal than flu. It is more akin to the common cold.

If you want to live in fear forever, fine wear a mask. But there should not be laws telling you to wear a mask, especially when they will not be enforced. It's pointless.

Covid is novel. We have no idea how it will develop. Ie mutate.

I am no immunologist, but to my thinking it has one evolutionary trait that is extremely worrying compared to other historical flu like outbreaks.

I see that the CDC have updated their recommendations for vaccinating teenagers today and concurred that the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Hopefully UK will have got this demographic vaccinated before the start of autumn school term.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e2.htm
The benefits (prevention of COVID-19 disease and associated hospitalizations, ICU admissions, and deaths) outweighed the risks (expected myocarditis cases after vaccination) in all populations for which vaccination has been recommended. However, the balance of benefits and risks varied by age and sex because cases of myocarditis were primarily identified among males aged <30 years, and the risks of poor outcomes related to COVID-19 increase with age. Per million second doses of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine administered to males aged 12–29 years, 11,000 COVID-19 cases, 560 hospitalizations, 138 ICU admissions, and six deaths due to COVID-19 could be prevented, compared with 39–47 expected myocarditis cases after COVID-19 vaccination (Table 2). Among males aged ≥30 years, 15,300 COVID-19 cases, 4,598 hospitalizations, 1,242 ICU admissions, and 700 deaths could be prevented, compared with three to four expected myocarditis cases after COVID-19 vaccination. This analysis did not include the potential benefit of preventing post-COVID-19 conditions, such as prolonged symptoms and MIS-C (6,7).
131443F7-62DE-4790-85FD-ED16290F0D35.jpeg

I remember whitty saying that "we should not worry about covid it is like flu and will only effect smokers" or something of that ilk. This was while China was locking down 30million people.

I said then it would come here people didn't believe

Last summer I said we should wait until winter and what the cold weather brings before we start tossing our selves off too much. People didn't belive me.

So now I'm saying we should be cautious before relaxing all restrictions, in particular mask which is such a minor inconvenience.

I'm starting to feel like the Greek legend of Casandra

If you can find me a quote of whitty saying "we should not worry about covid it is like flu and will only effect smokers" i would be amazed. Especially as at the beginning smokers seemed less effected. Leading to the french doing trials of treatment with nicotine.

We knew winter would be a problem. They said it from the beginning. Hence reducing restrictions in summer.

We didn't count on the uk variant kicking off so fast. Now the delta.

We have been cautious on relaxing restrictions. We've been relaxing them since may. We just put back "freedom day" by a month. To see the effects of the delta variant.

Not to say we couldn't have done way better. Suspending flights feb 2020 would have been great. Flights from india? Yep. So many other things.

If you can find me a quote of whitty saying "we should not worry about covid it is like flu and will only effect smokers" i would be amazed. Especially as at the beginning smokers seemed less effected. Leading to the french doing trials of treatment with nicotine.

We knew winter would be a problem. They said it from the beginning. Hence reducing restrictions in summer.

We have been cautious on relaxing restrictions. We've been relaxing them since may. We just put back "freedom day" by a month. To see the effects of the delta variant.

Not to say we couldn't have done way better. Suspending flights feb 2020 would have been great. Flights from india? Yep. So many other things.

I'm going to have to go to sleep now. But I will find Whitty saying that tomorrow, he said it in a select committee briefing. I remember it clearly because 1. I smoke. And 2. I knew china would not lock down 30 million people unless it was very serious.

I'm going to have to go to sleep now. But I will find Whitty saying that tomorrow, he said it in a select committee briefing. I remember it clearly because 1. I smoke. And 2. I knew china would not lock down 30 million people unless it was very serious.

Tbf i know they said for people to stop smoking. It wasn't based on covid though but other respiratory diseases. Hand to mouth. More likely to be infected. But evidence at the time was smokers were less effected.

Just fyi, i'm not belittling covid. My cousin and 2 friends died from it. Had other friends in hospital from it.

It's just not the threat it was a few months ago.

Last edited:
I see that the CDC have updated their recommendations for vaccinating teenagers today and concurred that the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Hopefully UK will have got this demographic vaccinated before the start of autumn school term.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e2.htm

View attachment 12228
Without reading the article (feeling lazy), are the benefits outweighing the risks calculated to include the benefit other people (ie the more at risks groups) are getting from teenagers being vaccinated?
As I fail to see, on an individual basis, the benefit to a teenager considering the figures of that age group dying? (Or have long covid issues shown as a problem in that age group?)

Without reading the article (feeling lazy), are the benefits outweighing the risks calculated to include the benefit other people (ie the more at risks groups) are getting from teenagers being vaccinated?
As I fail to see, on an individual basis, the benefit to a teenager considering the figures of that age group dying? (Or have long covid issues shown as a problem in that age group?)

Yes - it concludes that benefits outweigh risks for all groups including hospitalisation and deaths.

For the first one, i can understand why cancer treatment was withheld. 25% of cases were meant to have been caught in hospitals in the first wave. If you've had chemo, you'd be in serious trouble. Obviously you already are.

For the second. What a load of gonad*s. The 50% vaccinated are the ones we are concerned about. The rest there is very little risk. Less than flu (especially as flu effects the young far more).

In the pub but will try and find a source for deaths per age.

For the first one, i can understand why cancer treatment was withheld. 25% of cases were meant to have been caught in hospitals in the first wave. If you've had chemo, you'd be in serious trouble. Obviously you already are.

I think the point being made was that A and E is becoming overwhelmed at this hospital due to a rise in covid-related admissions, and that other treatments are therefore suffering as a knock-on effect.

I don't necessarily disagree with the need to reopen now. It's not going to be straightforward, though - and I wouldn't rule out (yet another) u-turn on things like masks and social distancing as the true scale of issues related to rising cases begin to become apparent.

I have to say that the dropping of mask wearing seems bonkers to me at this stage in a continuing pandemic.

Reactions: DTA
@Lilbaz so this is what I have been saying.

If we can avoid more deaths and hospitalisation and long covid with minimal or in fact no impact to our economy then why should we not do this?

What are the economic benefits of not wearing masks on public transport?
Why do the advantages need to be economic?

Masks mildly inconvenience me - that's plenty of good reason.

I did look for this but I couldn't find it, sorry.

I think the point being made was that A and E is becoming overwhelmed at this hospital due to a rise in covid-related admissions, and that other treatments are therefore suffering as a knock-on effect.

I don't necessarily disagree with the need to reopen now. It's not going to be straightforward, though - and I wouldn't rule out (yet another) u-turn on things like masks and social distancing as the true scale of issues related to rising cases begin to become apparent.

I have to say that the dropping of mask wearing seems bonkers to me at this stage in a continuing pandemic.

This is it. Just opening up but keeping masks would have been the 100% correct thing to do... but this is Boris innit.

Back