• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best album of the 90s

Pavement are at least five times better than the RHCP :D

OK, have to admit that Pavement passed me by in the 90's, so I just listened to a couple of random tracks of theirs. Is it fair to say that they've got a similar sound to Beck? I suppose this is where a poll on best album of the year or of the decade becomes very difficult to judge. For example, there are a few factors that should qualify an album as being 'the best':

Success (number of units sold)
Longevity (is it still a good sound today)
Influence (did it make a difference to other bands/creative outlets. Or was it genre defining)
Individuality (was it unique)
Of the moment (did it encapsulate a time)

*measure sgt peppers lonely hearts club band or dark side of the moon against the above factors and I'm sure you'll agree

Those are among the things that each of the eventual finalists should be able to display a level of success in.

And....imo, pavement are just derivative drivel that sold very few records and didn't make a dent in the industry. S Club 7 have more right to the Best Album of the 90's than pavement.....That's one person's opinion though

:)

And....imo, pavement are just derivative drivel that sold very few records and didn't make a dent in the industry. S Club 7 have more right to the Best Album of the 90's than pavement.....That's one person's opinion though

Oh mate. First you say that you were a dnb DJ, then you say you took RATM back to the shop, then you nominate Simply Red? Then this blasphemy layered upon blasphemy. You are a wrongun.

Get out. Just.... get.... out.

OK, have to admit that Pavement passed me by in the 90's, so I just listened to a couple of random tracks of theirs. Is it fair to say that they've got a similar sound to Beck? I suppose this is where a poll on best album of the year or of the decade becomes very difficult to judge. For example, there are a few factors that should qualify an album as being 'the best':

Success (number of units sold)
Longevity (is it still a good sound today)
Influence (did it make a difference to other bands/creative outlets. Or was it genre defining)
Individuality (was it unique)
Of the moment (did it encapsulate a time)

*measure sgt peppers lonely hearts club band or dark side of the moon against the above factors and I'm sure you'll agree

Those are among the things that each of the eventual finalists should be able to display a level of success in.

I was just messing with you. Pavement have five albums on the list because they had five nominated. Californication will make the list too.

(Pavement are loads better than the RHCPs though).

I will try and check the debut out - think they're the only band on the list I've never heard of

Oh mate. First you say that you were a dnb DJ, then you say you took RATM back to the shop, then you nominate Simply Red? Then this blasphemy layered upon blasphemy. You are a wrongun.

Get out. Just.... get.... out.

You're probably right

But, I nominated simply red purely as a commercial option

And I stand by my decision on ratm. I returned the album because it made me angry. I like music to make me happy, not angry

All subjective though.

I'm sure pavement are great really. Shame they ran out of material just about the same time as beck did....

I will try and check the debut out - think they're the only band on the list I've never heard of

It's pretty ramshackle and at the time the music press made a lot of comparisons to the Fall (which I get).

It is an album that I listened to constantly when it was released and know inside out, I'd be interested in hearing what it sounds like to fresh ears now.

You're probably right

But, I nominated simply red purely as a commercial option

And I stand by my decision on ratm. I returned the album because it made me angry. I like music to make me happy, not angry

All subjective though.

I'm sure pavement are great really. Shame they ran out of material just about the same time as beck did....

What did you think you were getting when you bought an album by a band called 'Rage Against the Machine'? Surely there's a pretty big hint in the title as to what type of music it'll be?

Back