• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Amen to that, he is 3 years younger then Rose and there is plenty of time for him to improve and become a far better LB then Rose.

He may have the time, but 'become far better than Rose'? That would be a pretty high level and I will need to see it to believe it. Plus, Rose is only 24 himself and still improving, so we don't yet know how good Rose is going to be or how high that level will be.

He may have the time, but 'become far better than Rose'? That would be a pretty high level and I will need to see it to believe it. Plus, Rose is only 24 himself and still improvong, so we don't know how good Rose is going to be or how high that level will be.

Well Stop! Hammer time but for me Davies is a better player already and when he improves ( and he will) he will become a far better option.

i don't know how you can say that based on what we have seen of him at Spurs this season - he hasn't played to the same level as Rose, either in terms of quality or consistency. not that he's been bad or doesn't have potential, but he's been nowhere near good enough for it to be claimed he's been our best left back

Is easy to say because that what I believe. He is already better at the defensive part of the game and that is the hardest part of being a FB. The attacking part will fall in to place as he gets older and works at it. ( at only 21 he has lots of time).

Ben Davies has shown, in brief moments, that he is a promising left back, but all in all Rose has consistently been one of our best and most improved players this season, and is ahead of Davies in the pecking order by quite a big margin. Actually I think Rose has been one of the best fullbacks in the PL this season.

I don't get how Davies is described as a better defender than Rose. They both make mistakes and I would suggest that, given the difference in game time, Davies is slightly more error prone than Rose is currently. Add to that, Rose is quicker and stronger, so generally can cope better with direct wing play (Wellbeck in 1 instance was the only time I can remember him getting really done up like a kipper). Davies has struggled against lower league wingers just due to pace and directness.

not a coincidence that our entire defence has been spotty all season.

two words - leadership and organization.

sorry to say this, but i feel that verts just isn't our man.

That's why Fazio runs the back line, and why we look better with him in the side. Fazio is a great organiser.

Is easy to say because that what I believe. He is already better at the defensive part of the game and that is the hardest part of being a FB. The attacking part will fall in to place as he gets older and works at it. ( at only 21 he has lots of time).

Can you accept that what you think may be really wide of the mark? Davies has been at fault for a fair number of goals, statistically he was beaten more than any other full back in the league last season and looks very slow against anyone with any sort of pace.

Rose imo is a better defender and with his athleticism has a far higher ceiling if he continues to improve.

No one is saying davies is a bad player, he just hasn't been near the level of Rose this year for anymore than the odd game. That is pretty much the state of play for most fans

Can you accept that what you think may be really wide of the mark? Davies has been at fault for a fair number of goals, statistically he was beaten more than any other full back in the league last season and looks very slow against anyone with any sort of pace.

Rose imo is a better defender and with his athleticism has a far higher ceiling if he continues to improve.

No one is saying davies is a bad player, he just hasn't been near the level of Rose this year for anymore than the odd game. That is pretty much the state of play for most fans

That works both ways does it not?

It depends on where you are and who you talk to, it seems to me that at the games there are fans of both players and about the same number on both sides.

I thought Davies was one of our best players in the game against Everton (pretty sure it was this game when he first came into the EPL line up). During the period where he was our first choice starter in the league (both during and after Rose's injury) he looked decent and deserving of his spot. The Chelsea game saw Rose put in a MOTM performance and Davies hasn't had a sniff since with some rather poor games in the cups where he looked out of confidence and shaky.

Rose right now is riding on the crest of a wave and has looked good going forward and defending, albeit a little gung ho at times, which was even evident against Swansea not long before he was subbed. He's come on a lot these last couple of months and Davies will have to fight for that position. This competition will only strengthen them both.

rose gets the crowd on their feet going forwards, and his throw his body at the ball defending. but davies is a better defender. good to have both options, poch must have seen enough to understand how best to use either.

nevertheless, deliveries into the box from the wingbacks is the attacking threat we lack. i am still hoping for an upgrade in this position, happy to sacrifice either under the right conditions.

I thought Davies was one of our best players in the game against Everton (pretty sure it was this game when he first came into the EPL line up). During the period where he was our first choice starter in the league (both during and after Rose's injury) he looked decent and deserving of his spot. The Chelsea game saw Rose put in a MOTM performance and Davies hasn't had a sniff since with some rather poor games in the cups where he looked out of confidence and shaky.

Rose right now is riding on the crest of a wave and has looked good going forward and defending, albeit a little gung ho at times, which was even evident against Swansea not long before he was subbed. He's come on a lot these last couple of months and Davies will have to fight for that position. This competition will only strengthen them both.

Not a very good narrative tbh. Rose started the season well and only injury took him out the team.... As soon as he was fit again he came back showing the level of performances he had been putting in.

To call him riding a crest of a wave is complete BS and disrespecfuk. Rose has been playing very well for a lot longer than the turn of the year. Ie. Last season he started strongly before injury and after looking poor when he returned half a stone over weight, he was good again last 6 games or so of the season.

rose gets the crowd on their feet going forwards, and his throw his body at the ball defending. but davies is a better defender. good to have both options, poch must have seen enough to understand how best to use either.

nevertheless, deliveries into the box from the wingbacks is the attacking threat we lack. i am still hoping for an upgrade in this position, happy to sacrifice either under the right conditions.

Statistically and objectively the whole Davies is a better defender is a myth.... Not true.

Plus going forward Rosie's stats stand up to the top full backs in this country,

Hopefully by the end of the season (fitness permitting) even more people will come round the notionthat Rose is actually a real asset in our team

Not a very good narrative tbh. Rose started the season well and only injury took him out the team.... As soon as he was fit again he came back showing the level of performances he had been putting in.

To call him riding a crest of a wave is complete BS and disrespecfuk. Rose has been playing very well for a lot longer than the turn of the year. Ie. Last season he started strongly before injury and after looking poor when he returned half a stone over weight, he was good again last 6 games or so of the season.

That narrative is fairly accurate actually. Rose was injured on the 9th of Novemeber against Stoke. Our next league game was on the 23rd of that month at Hull and Davies started. Rose didn't return to the matchday squad until the 6th of December when he was an unused sub. After that he played in the League Cup and Europa League fixtures but Davies started every league game until boxing day when Rose came in. Two days later we played UTD and Davies started, then on new years day Rose scored against Chelsea.

Davies had retained his position as our first choice LB despite Rose returning from injury, but such was our fixture list we had to rotate our players so to not become overwhelmed. Rose and Davies alternated through those fixtures and Rose was the player picked for the Chelsea game. He was brilliant in that game and has kicked on since, hence my use of the "crest of a wave" analogy. Before getting upset over it, I'm happy to say that I would use the same analogy to describe Kane's ascendence. Perhaps you find it offensive because you believe that I am implying that Rose's form will drop off, which is incorrect. I use the analogy, because he is high on confidence and that his form has improved as a result, the same as it would for any sportsmen.

You have got your dates right yes but you seem to ignore the fact that Rose was very good at the start of the year and despite the meh comments, he was often one of our best players in what was a pretty average and disjointed team. I think he has kicked on since August and because of negative opinions of him (and the odd brick game) it has taken months and months for him to change that perception from most people.

Everton was one of Davies' first games for us and from what I remember he did well, but for christ sake even Soldado played well and as a team there were a number of performances far more worthy than his (Eriksen, Kane, Mason, Bentelab, Lennon etc etc) Davies played well in some games and looked a little shaky in others in his brief period as the starting left back. He certainly did enough not to be bombed out the team but once the busy xmas schedule was over you seem to imply that it was a goal and great performance against Chelsea that brought Rose back into the team - I am pretty sure Poch sees him as first choice and he would be starting over Davies anyway - in my opinion if Poch remains as our boss I can see Rose going from strength to strength as he fits the mould far better.

I rellay can't take some of you guys serious. If you say Davies has done a better job than Rose this year, you haven't watched Spurs play, or you don't know football .

Maybe Davies will be a good LB some day but he hasn't played particulary well , he is slow and clumsy on the ball .

Rose has been our most improved player this year, he is first choice LB by some margion and deservedly so ..

It'slike saying Townsend has been better than Eriksen, it just doesn't compute or make any sense.

Back