• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Annus Horribilis 2011/2012 .............................

Think about it guys. If we'd scored one bloody goal vs 10 men at Loftus Road, or if Friedel had saved that free kick, we would have finished above our biggest rivals and we wouldn't have to worry about Bayern Munich vs Chelsea.

No excuses, what a waste.

Of course I'm grateful that we are not a mediocre side anymore, the years from 92-2005 really were dreadful for the most part, but how long are we going to keep bringing it up? Just because we were brick 7 years ago doesn't mean were not allowed to be tinkled off when we've blown our best chance to finish in the top 3 for a long time. I agree some of the threads on here were pretty embarassing when we were in that terrible run, but it's understandable that Spurs fans are frustrated. If Chelsea lose on Saturday, then I'll feel much better about how our season ended up.

Think about it guys. If we'd scored one bloody goal vs 10 men at Loftus Road, or if Friedel had saved that free kick, we would have finished above our biggest rivals and we wouldn't have to worry about Bayern Munich vs Chelsea.

No excuses, what a waste.

That wasnt a free kick.

That's comedy gold :lol:

Now if you said pretends to have links into Levy, constantly trying to put down the Manager in sly ways and make out that Levy is completely blameless whilst mean old Redknapp is ruining anything on the other hand....

Gotta say it's quite unique for one person specifically to get called out as to his views on Spurs.

Nothing wrong with it but just...why him?

That's comedy gold :lol:

Now if you said pretends to have links into Levy, constantly trying to put down the Manager in sly ways and make out that Levy is completely blameless whilst mean old Redknapp is ruining anything on the other hand....

You see, I try (in exchanges with you) to be reasonable and polite, yet here you are, lurking in the shadows taking cheap shots and throwing jabs out about things you simply don't know...why not act like an adult and stop throwing cheap shots around you keyboard warrior? Seriously. Grow the fudge up and either engage in discussions or don't. If you don't like my opinions, or if you don't think I know what I'm talking about, fantastic, just take a glance and jog on..but seriously, DON'T take IGNORANT cheap shots; it's pathetic.

Gotta say it's quite unique for one person specifically to get called out as to his views on Spurs.

Nothing wrong with it but just...why him?

Not especially sure what you're referring to here BoL...Moonlit Knight is the only person who knows why they wrote what they wrote. I couldn't tell you. What I do know is that it was pathetic. But there we go...

interesting that yesterday when City had to score the goals to win the game and the title, Mancini threw on 2 strikers to go and make the difference and ended up with 3 strikers on the pitch.....Dzeko scored the equaliser, Balotelli played the pass to Aguero who finished brilliantly.

I wonder if Redknapp now regrets not sending on Defoe earlier last week against Villa

In fairness, Rose's sending off fudged us for a while, but yes, with 20 mins to go I think we could've taken the gamble...of course, the truth to that game is we didn't play with any real pace for the first half. had we done so, I think we'd have scored a couple before the half hour mark. Villa were absolutely brick.

no they cant. they vent their frustration at a much higher plane than us BUT if you could standardise it somehow they are just as rash as we are

you know there are fans calling for ferguson to go because they didnt win the title?

you'd think that was crazy...then you look at us

Er.. yes they can. Yes they may vent their fustrations at a 'much higher plane' but do you think they'd swap theor position with us (i.e. flop from 1st to 2nd or rather flop from 3 - guarenteed CL to 4th - not guraenteed CL??)

Trying to compare us to them is still wrong, imo. Whilst I wouldn't be calling for Fergie to go they DID blow an 8 point lead in the final 6 games and that is a BIG FLOP from their standpoint. When was the last time a team did that before? When was the last time Alex 'he knows how to win games at this stage of the season' Ferguson blow an 8 point lead with 6 games to go?

In fact the more I think about it, their flop is WORSE than ours. However they DO have better 'compensation' for it. In a few days time our flop could mean nothing more than EL.

Er.. yes they can. Yes they may vent their fustrations at a 'much higher plane' but do you think they'd swap theor position with us (i.e. flop from 1st to 2nd or rather flop from 3 - guarenteed CL to 4th - not guraenteed CL??)

Trying to compare us to them is still wrong, imo. Whilst I wouldn't be calling for Fergie to go they DID blow an 8 point lead in the final 6 games and that is a BIG FLOP from their standpoint. When was the last time a team did that before? When was the last time Alex 'he knows how to win games at this stage of the season' Ferguson blow an 8 point lead with 6 games to go?

In fact the more I think about it, their flop is WORSE than ours. However they DO have better 'compensation' for it. In a few days time our flop could mean nothing more than EL.

what kind of compensation is there for not winning the league?

you're not getting this idea of 'higher planes' they dont win the league? there is no compensation for that....they make CL every year its like breathing for a united fan. there is no second chances for them....there is no compensation , especially not them getting something that they would get anyway and that is the same reward as the person that came 20 points behind them in third

thats why you don't get what the 'higher plane' or should i say 'winning club culture' is all about ....from YOUR perspective ...i.e that of a fan of a club where CL is rare and worth something..YOU perceive the CL as compensation for not winning a league and blowing an 8 point lead with like 5 games to go. relatively speaking us going from CL to EL is their version of not winning the league..they cant take a back route to the title.
, its gone.......no compensation especially for when their form dropped. and if we lost third we still have a praying man's chance to get into the CL. and if we dont we wont have CL....

but then here is where you and i differ, in your mind EL is not compensation.....i dont perceive it like that..i see my team as a trying TRYING to establish itself as perennial CL occupants...not guaranteed ones.....so i'm fully mature enough to know that the oddest things and heart crushing stuff can happen..sometimes i can't take it soul wise but the fact of the matter is that coming 4th is a great achievement for me and my team...if not for those pesky russians we would be in the CL but alas the goal of 4th place though an achievement is soured by the fact that my team could end up in the Europa league. this for me wasnt totally unexpected..and so isnt as much a disappointment to me as it is to you. the fact we are in europe is MY compensation (even though i exepect us to be in it every year)

You see, I try (in exchanges with you) to be reasonable and polite, yet here you are, lurking in the shadows taking cheap shots and throwing jabs out about things you simply don't know...why not act like an adult and stop throwing cheap shots around you keyboard warrior? Seriously. Grow the fudge up and either engage in discussions or don't. If you don't like my opinions, or if you don't think I know what I'm talking about, fantastic, just take a glance and jog on..but seriously, DON'T take IGNORANT cheap shots; it's pathetic.

but you know what he's like though. hot and cold.

i dont believe he's 37......happy birthday by the way MK.

what kind of compensation is there for not winning the league?

you're not getting this idea of 'higher planes' they dont win the league? there is no compensation for that....they make CL every year its like breathing for a united fan. there is no second chances for them....there is no compensation , especially not them getting something that they would get anyway and that is the same reward as the person that came 20 points behind them in third

thats why you don't get what the 'higher plane' or should i say 'winning club culture' is all about ....from YOUR perspective ...i.e that of a fan of a club where CL is rare and worth something..YOU perceive the CL as compensation for not winning a league and blowing an 8 point lead with like 5 games to go. relatively speaking us going from CL to EL is their version of not winning the league..they cant take a back route to the title.
, its gone.......no compensation especially for when their form dropped. and if we lost third we still have a praying man's chance to get into the CL. and if we dont we wont have CL....

but then here is where you and i differ, in your mind EL is not compensation.....i dont perceive it like that..i see my team as a trying TRYING to establish itself as perennial CL occupants...not guaranteed ones.....so i'm fully mature enough to know that the oddest things and heart crushing stuff can happen..sometimes i can't take it soul wise but the fact of the matter is that coming 4th is a great achievement for me and my team...if not for those pesky russians we would be in the CL but alas the goal of 4th place though an achievement is soured by the fact that my team could end up in the Europa league. this for me wasnt totally unexpected..and so isnt as much a disappointment to me as it is to you. the fact we are in europe is MY compensation (even though i exepect us to be in it every year)

I think it is you not getting my idea of 'compensation'.
In the day and time of not winning the league there is no compensation. On the day when a team misses a guaranteed CL place there is no compensation.

However, when the club want to review what went wrong, why they missed the target which was very attainable (Utd, 8 points clear, Spurs 10/12 points clear in 3rd place) they will likely identify gaps and reasons for why such targets were missed. Some of which will relate to player recruitment and tactics/coaching methods, i.e do we need to change anything on that front. Obviously player recruitment may be high on the list and the financial restraints the club have will come into that.
If Manure blew a lead and then ended up 5th it would be hard(er) for them to use player recruitment to bridge whatever gaps they identify. Granted they have more money than most (even in thse austere times from their point of view) but the attraction of guaranteed CL footy will make the player recruitment strategy easier.
And so in our case that is magnified.

So to sum up, both clubs ****ed-up good situations. In reviewing how to make sure said ****-up doesnÔÇÖt happen again next year or to improve the clubs position then the gap between ManureÔÇÖs previous and then final position makes it that due to the ÔÇÿcompensationÔÇÖ it is easier for them to regroup and rectify for the following year.
European football of any kind for the following season is a bonus that can be used to attract names , grow the squad, improve the clubÔÇÖs profile etc.
Unfortunately these days the gap between the two competitions is such that a club like us, that have recently tasted EL/UEFA a number of times, to get to the ÔÇÿnext levelÔÇÖ we need to now be tasting CL a bit more. In fact the last CL campaign raised our profile considerable in Asia apparently. Plus most likely the thought of being in CL may keep some of our prize players committed to us a bit longer. We had CL in our grasp and let it slip. The brutal fact is that letting it slip could easier unravel all the good work recently done (i.e Bale, Modric leaving; Vertonghen, Remy, Hazrd (!) not signing.)
Sad as that is (and I donÔÇÖt like how CL has distorted things) but that is the brutal truth.

@glorygloryeze

I think it is you not getting my idea of 'compensation'.

No i quite understand the idea of compensation, which isnt what you are talking about. proven by the comment you yourself made that technically there is no compensation for not winning the league just as well as there is no compensation for not making CL (because you cant get there any other way. but then the 'compensation' is down to the observer. even though once you miss out , you miss out...to me and not to you...i see Europa league as the eventual outcome of not making CL which was never guaranteed in the first place at the start of the season PLUS with the amount of teams fighting for europe and the competitiveness of this league i personaly (re-iterate..its me) feel that Europa league IS our compensation or it is our shelter or whatever, for me there is no compensation for not making europe. Man united though is a team that will ALWAYS be in the top 4 as things stands. europe is not only expected it simply just IS for them.....

In the day and time of not winning the league there is no compensation. On the day when a team misses a guaranteed CL place there is no compensation.

agree withi this but i feel that technically the latter part of the statemtnt is more based on the fan individually so i can accept that for you you seem death and despair if we dont make CL. which i have to be honest i see as very silly personally seeing as we've only ever made it into the contest once in our history. to expect it? ridiculous

However, when the club want to review what went wrong, why they missed the target which was very attainable (Utd, 8 points clear, Spurs 10/12 points clear in 3rd place)

they will likely identify gaps and reasons for why such targets were missed. Some of which will relate to player recruitment and tactics/coaching methods, i.e do we need to change anything on that front.

i'm very pleased you said 'some' of the reasons would be ttactics and player recruitments. Have you ever worked in football in an official or semi-official capacity. If you have then i'd be preaching to the choir here but if you havent its worth speaking to someone that has, and asking them what can be the main hinderance to achieving success or reaching targets. they'll metion all the stuff that most of the fan based population will mention...manager and players and money etc (they wouldnt be wrong either) but then to reach your goals (assuming they have not been set TOO LOW) you need a lot of LUCK and BELIEF. Belief makes up for alot , epsecially in footballers (form , confidence, aggression, winning attitude, character, resolve in adversity, and their ability which gets amplified by all these things) sometimes its nothing to do with how good your players are or your results...sometimes you just need to hit form and run with it.
Not to mention that the margins are sooooooooooooooooo fine that luck really does play a humongous part in things.
Another thing is the club culture, there is something about playing for the right club , at the right time, with the right manager and the right players that also helps enhance your abilities too.
For all intents and purposes City had to get off to one BEAST of a start this season just to hold off united and it took an out of form AND an unlucky united in the last few games to colapse in oredr for city to win the league and even then they did it with just a few seconds to spare on goal difference. Thats nothing that 'needs addressing' other than 'dont lose your man smalling. that lapse in concentration really put us on the back foot'

Obviously player recruitment may be high on the list and the financial restraints the club have will come into that.
If Manure blew a lead and then ended up 5th it would be hard(er) for them to use player recruitment to bridge whatever gaps they identify. Granted they have more money than most (even in thse austere times from their point of view) but the attraction of guaranteed CL footy will make the player recruitment strategy easier.
And so in our case that is magnified.

pretty sure money and history and culture and the manager would circumvent that problem for someone like united. w wont know though but i am positive that if they didnt make te CL it woulndt make a blind bit of difference....bayern munich one year recently didnt make the CL or i think they came 4th...take a look at what they did.
Look at city the year they missed out on 4th. brought in CL calibre players.
You are right for us its magnified cause we dont have WAGES to offer, which means that CL is that much important for us if we are to STAY in the CL spots (which we did this season as it happens....just the russians could fudge us). fact of the matter is that CL spots are not ours lose traditionally and its not ours by right..we have to earn the right to play in that..and this year we didnt ear automatic qualification. but it doesnt have to be down to manager, recuitment or tactics..it could have been a bad confidence filling the lane coupled with bad form.

however i will say this, the MANAGERS and COACHES (especially at the top level) need to be prepared for things like this and need to be able to bring our players out of that problem and do it quickly. thats what makes a good manager..or the best ones

So to sum up, both clubs ****ed-up good situations. In reviewing how to make sure said ****-up doesnÔÇÖt happen again next year or to improve the clubs position then the gap between ManureÔÇÖs previous and then final position makes it that due to the ÔÇÿcompensationÔÇÖ it is easier for them to regroup and rectify for the following year.

just to re-affirm what i was saying. their compensation as you see it is something that they already have every year, infact missing out on CL would make them spend EVEN HARDER..and you know what, players will go here regardless cause they know that united will be back in the competition before you can blink. and in the mean time they would be favourites for europa. another trophy. the worst thing that could happen would probably be that united ended 5th. cause they would buy the world and its solar system.

I think what you're talking about is risk v loss and gain. not compensation. and if it is gain v loss in respects to position attained in the league , then you yourself canniot possibly comprehend what it must be like to be a united fan. (actually with the way you're acting i think you might. like i said..ssome are calling for fergusons head cause he didnt win the league. so you and those kind might have something similar in traits. relatively speaking of course...theirs is title lost equal fergie's head, yours is CL lost equal Harry's head? or harry's fault? is it?
European football of any kind for the following season is a bonus that can be used to attract names , grow the squad, improve the clubÔÇÖs profile etc.

agreed, i probably should have read this bit befoe i started writing

U
nfortunately these days the gap between the two competitions is such that a club like us, that have recently tasted EL/UEFA a number of times, to get to the ÔÇÿnext levelÔÇÖ we need to now be tasting CL a bit more.

In fact the last CL campaign raised our profile considerable in Asia apparently. Plus most likely the thought of being in CL may keep some of our prize players committed to us a bit longer. We had CL in our grasp and let it slip. The brutal fact is that letting it slip could easier unravel all the good work recently done (i.e Bale, Modric leaving; Vertonghen, Remy, Hazrd (!) not signing.)
Sad as that is (and I donÔÇÖt like how CL has distorted things) but that is the brutal truth.

actually i think i agree with al of this as it happens.

i think you're talking about gain v risk.....not compensation. you're talking about damage and damage control..being able to go after the target year after vyear and not lose momentum. correct?

He wants to go abroad.

Preferably to a non extradition-treaty country in case things go tits up and the 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'-stamped briefcase is found in your bank vault, eh Marton?

Back