• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

So should we give AVB the rest of the season or get rid now?

I dont see how he can survive much longer.....if we mess up against west ham again then thats curtains.....if not then Southamptons pressing game will overwhelme us and force us into more defensive mistakes and another defeat....again curtains..... he has to win the next 4 games to survive I reckon with a few decent peformances in to boot.

But we aren't playing with control right now. In fact these last few games the control aspect seems to have disappeared. As for sending them with instructions, surely you have seen the looks on the players faces. The instructions are either too complex or wrong, because we just look so disjointed. There is a real lack of movement all over the pitch. Im not in the anti AVB camp or anything like that but what I see is a group of players all doing their own thing and nothing resembling a unit. Some players press whilst others don't, some players move to receive the pass but others stay static, the players don't seem to know their jobs. It's like they are thinking "Walker has the ball are we following plan A,B,C or D?", it looks like a case of over coaching perhaps.

At times early in the first half I thought our top end pressing was good, we were forcing long punts up the field from Skrtel and Sakho, but even when that result in a turn over in possession we looked lost.

I agree, we've lost it in the City and Pool games. We didn't even impose any of ourselves on the game today. It was rubbish. But having calmed down and considered the alternatives, for fear of going back into the cycle of sacking one type of manager to bring in another only to repeat...I kind of just want us to stick with something through for once. We are trying to make the final step up. To get to the place where we can't get any higher. There is literally not one man on this earth who will get us there without going through some bumpy tough **** first.

They all will, and we always experience these awful results/runs of form because we are trying to get to somewhere we logically shouldn't be able to get to. One of these days we are going to have to see it through. We aren't trying to go from a bottom half team to a top half team, or a relegation scrapping team to a lower mid table team. We are trying to become title challengers, and we are always trying to implement systems to get us there. And when it isn't clicking it looks awful. But one of these years, we are going to have to see it through.

I find it hard to believe that Naughton started and then was so bad he had to be subbed off for Fryers at half time. How could AVB get it so wrong? Surely AVB must see both of them in training and in matches. I could have told him that Fryers would have been a better bet, even if far from perfect. Townsend would have been better even.

Naughton had a really bad start and the crowd jeered him quite noticeably which doesn't help someone playing out of position at all. fryers isn't good from what I've seen and I'm no fan but he didn't do a lot wrong
Lethe issue though is that's its a sub which limits further tactical changes (not that AVB makes any)

But we're not going backwards, we're doing better than last season results wise. This round last season we lost 1-2 at Everton before going on a 12-game unbeaten run in the league. We're doing better in the cups. We've had three shockers in the league compared to two last season, but that's about it. Performances, style or whatever you want to call it is about the same.

Look at our opponents for fourth spot, though. IN fact, look at the competitors for the CL spots overall, and how they're doing this season.

Arsenal - roaring along, recent hiccups notwithstanding. Look dangerous and have developed a fine playing style based on teamwork and movement.
City - have adapted to Pellegrini's new style now (something AVB apparently needs one and a half seasons (And counting) to achieve) and are smashing teams left, right and centre.
Chelsea - are probably the most wobbly of all the top sides, but are picking up results and have a far better squad than we do (even after our trumped up 100 million pound splurge).
Everton - Again, have adapted quickly to their new manager's style of play and look slick, settled and cohesive.
Liverpool - After scoring five goals against us, little more needs to be said.

Now, one out of those five will miss out on the CL spots as it is, even after playing great football and looking cohesive and competitive. What about us? Well, we look bereft of ideas, confidence, motivation, heart and desire, playing timid, slow sideways football with players failing to spot each others' runs and a manager that persists in picking bizarre teams and making baffling substitutions. This, after a year and a half under the new man.

Do you really think we'll end up in a CL spot based on the way we're playing now? And please don't give me that 'we will improve' bullsh*t, we've gone backwards since the start of the season performance wise and results wise, with the results at the start only coming because of a series of somewhat dodgy penalties.

We won't make the CL this season, if only because five teams are playing better than we are and one of them won't even make it into the CL despite their best efforts. Therefore, my only hope is that AVB does something in the cups to salvage what is turning into a disastrous season. I'm still inclined to give him the whole season, but just barely. And that situation cannot be described as anything other than 'going backwards'.

I'm amazed it took until half-time to sub Naughton. He looked terrified after about 10-15 minutes, he was drowning out there. Should have subbed him off then and pretended that he had taken a knock.

Look at our opponents for fourth spot, though. IN fact, look at the competitors for the CL spots overall, and how they're doing this season.

Arsenal - roaring along, recent hiccups notwithstanding. Look dangerous and have developed a fine playing style based on teamwork and movement.
City - have adapted to Pellegrini's new style now (something AVB apparently needs one and a half seasons (And counting) to achieve) and are smashing teams left, right and centre.
Chelsea - are probably the most wobbly of all the top sides, but are picking up results and have a far better squad than we do (even after our trumped up 100 million pound splurge).
Everton - Again, have adapted quickly to their new manager's style of play and look slick, settled and cohesive.

Now, one out of those five will miss out on the CL spots as it is, even after playing great football and looking cohesive and competitive. What about us? Well, we look bereft of ideas, confidence, motivation, heart and desire, playing timid, slow sideways football with players failing to spot each others' runs and a manager that persists in picking bizarre teams and making baffling substitutions. This, after a year and a half under the new man.

Do you really think we'll end up in a CL spot based on the way we're playing now? And please don't give me that 'we will improve' bullsh*t, we've gone backwards since the start of the season performance wise and results wise, with the results at the start only coming because of a series of somewhat dodgy penalties.

We won't make the CL this season, if only because five teams are playing better than we are and one of them won't even make it into the CL despite their best efforts. Therefore, my only hope is that AVB does something in the cups to salvage what is turning into a disastrous season. I'm still inclined to give him the whole season, but just barely. And that situation cannot be described as anything other than 'going backwards'.

Scarier still, you haven't included Man Utd yet, who are only 2 points behind us and have 2 world-class forwards and a wealth of winning experience and know-how in their squad. Once Carrick is fit and regularly in their league team, along with RVP and Rooney, they will pick up plenty of points.

I agree, we've lost it in the City and Pool games. We didn't even impose any of ourselves on the game today. It was rubbish. But having calmed down and considered the alternatives, for fear of going back into the cycle of sacking one type of manager to bring in another only to repeat...I kind of just want us to stick with something through for once. We are trying to make the final step up. To get to the place where we can't get any higher. There is literally not one man on this earth who will get us there without going through some bumpy tough **** first.

They all will, and we always experience these awful results/runs of form because we are trying to get to somewhere we logically shouldn't be able to get to. One of these days we are going to have to see it through. We aren't trying to go from a bottom half team to a top half team, or a relegation scrapping team to a lower mid table team. We are trying to become title challengers, and we are always trying to implement systems to get us there. And when it isn't clicking it looks awful. But one of these years, we are going to have to see it through.

Are Everton experiencing these awful results and dodgy runs of form in their quest to rise from being a mid-table team to top-four contenders? Did Martinez take a year and a half to implement his top-four-challenging systems? Do Everton click as as rarely as we are currently doing in games? Do they fold as easily as we do? Do they cry during the long walk down the post-match tunnel like our lads do? Do they act as petulantly and stupidly when things are going against them as our lads do?

Some of these things are the manager's fault. Some of them are the players' fault. However, we can't sack all the poorly performing players, much as we'd sometimes like to. So there's only one alternative, unfortunately, and as unpalatable as that may seem to those of us (me included) who still hold out some small hope that AVB is the an to forge a dynasty here.

1) What did Pedro Pinto say
2) Redknapp for all his faults did something radical. For starters we tightened up at the back almost straight away. We then progressed from mid table to top four to people whispering about us challenging the Manchester two. Our level over the past decade before Redknapp was anywhere between 5th and 12th. If we talk about a manager getting players to the level they should be, then in reality we will have a UCL team given some of the players in our squad.
3) I don't advocate just sacking a manager after a poor run of results, but if there has been no substantial improvement in play over the course of a season and a half then what else can there be? I do think bringing in seven foreign players all at once and expecting an immediate return is wrong, however I do expect to see some signs of gradual improvement. I recognise that since City we have started to show signs but there are still plenty of parts of our game that are still nowhere near clicking and haven't been since last season.

I really didn't want to say, but perhaps i'll let others listen (check out the last 10 mins or so during the 'quick hits' short Q&A session) here: https://soundcloud.com/the-game-podcast/is-david-moyes-to-blame

Interesting....I wonder if that's going on from his Chelsea days and whether he knows anyone at Spurs who has suggested that to him.

I do agree with on the fact that if the expectation is top 4 and failure if not achieved then it's going to be a long old season.

Scarier still, you haven't included Man Utd yet, who are only 2 points behind us and have 2 world-class forwards and a wealth of winning experience and know-how in their squad. Once Carrick is fit and regularly in their league team, along with RVP and Rooney, they will pick up plenty of points.

Don't think they're that good, but I have to acknowledge that they could very well climb above us into contention as well. In fact, at the moment I'd say Southampton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are playing better than we are as well.

1)City
2)Arsenal
3)Liverpool
4)Chelsea
5)Everton
6)United
7)Saudi Sportswashing Machine
8)Southampton
9)Spurs

Great table to look at, that would be.

wow...hard reading but great post!!!!

what would you suggest needs to be done to make us more cohesive dubai???

Are Everton experiencing these awful results and dodgy runs of form in their quest to rise from being a mid-table team to top-four contenders? Did Martinez take a year and a half to implement his top-four-challenging systems? Do Everton click as as rarely as we are currently doing in games? Do they fold as easily as we do? Do they cry during the long walk down the post-match tunnel like our lads do? Do they act as petulantly and stupidly when things are going against them as our lads do?

Some of these things are the manager's fault. Some of them are the players' fault. However, we can't sack all the poorly performing players, much as we'd sometimes like to. So there's only one alternative, unfortunately, and as unpalatable as that may seem to those of us (me included) who still hold out some small hope that AVB is the an to forge a dynasty here.

I'm not sure if we've talked before on Everton but I think a few people disagree with the point I'm about to make...but their new signings are all PL proven except for Gerard Deulefeu who has been introduced slowly.

Even us last season...the only regular starter that wasn't PL proven was Lloris who was introduced slowly and Verts, and it seems defenders can settle quicker and more easily from most cases if we study them. I really think it makes a massive difference. Everything else - all the poor traits we are exhibiting - can stem from that.

Don't think they're that good, but I have to acknowledge that they could very well climb above us into contention as well. In fact, at the moment I'd say Southampton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are playing better than we are as well.

1)City
2)Arsenal
3)Liverpool
4)Chelsea
5)Everton
6)United
7)Saudi Sportswashing Machine
8)Southampton
9)Spurs

Great table to look at, that would be.

i thought Man U looked a lot better as a team without RVP today than they do wlth him. Might do them good having him out injured for a bit, I can see Wellbeck and Rooney working well together.

I agree with the difference in recruitment, however playing style is something different. The way those players passed around the pitch vs Arsenal the other night was beautiful but they did look shakey when attacked. I will say that they do use Lukaku well, he stretches any defence to breaking limit by himself but we don't have that. Even so the general pattern of play they have, the way the pass and receive the ball is something which we should be doing. Something that should have been ingrained in our players every day in training

Yet I saw us play Chelsea and Everton and we were the better side, by some way against Everton and just edged it against Chelsea.... We can play were just not playing

And, IMO they will all drop silly points as they have been all season. Everton so far remind a bit of wets brim last season. Liverpool remind me of us. We remind me of the Chelsea team. A few years back that win the champions league . City should win this league by 15 points. Arsenal have been string but have lost both times they have played an experienced decent side. They now have key players injured in areas with less strength (assuming. Flaming is injured) and that will hurt them against Chelsea

I bet a Liverpool fan that by the end of January United will be above them and he couldn't believe it.... They have played everyone above them and hardly anyone below them in relation to the likes of Liverpool and arsenal. United rarely get beat by **** teams (I know they have had a few this year) but without champions league fixtures stretching their squad which isn't great they will start firing. My prediction is the top 4 will be the same as last season and quite comfort ale in the end which is sad really given the chances that others have had

And this league does change quickly remember as a few weeks ago you would have had Southampton in that list as a danger side who now have 2 from 15 if I remember correctly and they look better than Everton or Liverpoo from what have seen

This is not knee jerk at all I have backed AVB since day 1 but our style of play has been unacceptable. Think about this too, is it really that much different from last year? Think about how many matches we looked toothless and Bale would score a wonder goal. This year no Bale and we look even less a threat.

We are setting up almost every match with 3 defensive midfielders and an off form striker. AVB needs to go imo get in a caretaker manager like Hoddle or Freund and we can reevaluate in summer after WC

4th or higher is a pipe dream we should concentrate on getting back to playing some entertaining Spurs football and hopefully win a cup

This is not knee jerk at all I have backed AVB since day 1 but our style of play has been unacceptable. Think about this too, is it really that much different from last year? Think about how many matches we looked toothless and Bale would score a wonder goal. This year no Bale and we look even less a threat.

We are setting up almost every match with 3 defensive midfielders and an off form striker. AVB needs to go imo get in a caretaker manager like Hoddle or Freund and we can reevaluate in summer after WC

4th or higher is a pipe dream we should concentrate on getting back to playing some entertaining Spurs football and hopefully win a cup

No it isn't, and I and a few others on here said at the time that we were getting results despite our crappy performances rather than due to them.

Back