• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: [Article] The AVB Redemption

A lot to be said for signposting new articles like this before amalgamating them with the main thread.

Excellent article, rare to see such a prominent journo so publicly eat humble pie. Truth is I need to swallow a large chunk of it meself.

Re: [Article] The AVB Redemption

I didn't think it was anything new to be honest. Maybe I am reading it in a cynical light but it just reads like a slow news day type ' I wuz wrong' article he had in his back pocket.

the love in continues - another AVB article

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/8539910/Still-Borderline-Aspergers-Boys-

Re: the love in continues - another AVB article

It's becoming obvious, they're trying to jinx us.

Re: the love in continues - another AVB article

Link didn't work so i googled it -

Still 'Borderline Aspergers', Boys?

The way that Andre Villas-Boas was treated in his first weeks in the Spurs job was tantamount to bullying. Now they're all saying 'oh maybe we were wrong'. Yes you were...

Ginger managers are rare beasts, successful ginger managers even more so. But that's what we are looking at in Andre Villas-Boas.
Many of us took to him as soon as he arrived at Chelsea. First, there was the squatting. Who couldn't love a man who could do get down on his hunkers like that? Then there were the understated but fashionable mid-length coats and the ginger beard.

Then we learned that he'd been appointed by Roman Abramovich in order to overhaul the Chelsea squad, tasked with getting rid of the old, over-paid plodders and we loved him even more for this because we were also sick of them and their massive egos.

Obviously, the Chelsea squad were not so keen on this and set about making his life hell. With the press largely on their side, they undermined him, apparently to their owner's displeasure, which may lie behind the lack of a lucrative new contract to certain chunky, ageing midfielders.

So Andre left Stamford Bridge and the press and media who disliked him - and there were a lot of them - felt very smug indeed. Chelsea won The Big One and everyone involved felt vindicated. By this time, the way Villas-Boas was talked about in some quarters you'd have thought he belonged in a home for the bewildered or the clinically insane. He was 'borderline Aspergers' don't forget. All the black propaganda from those Chelsea players who disliked him was taken and reiterated as gospel by those in the press and media who wanted to be on the side of the powerful and the winner. Never forget this.

But oh how marvellously things change. It's exactly a year since his sacking and now it is Chelsea who are once again in a maelstrom of their own inadequacy and Mr V-B who is smiling and loved. The power has shifted and with it the press and media's affections. Suddenly, Villas-Boas looks like a winner, so you won't hear him called 'borderline Aspergers' anymore.

The pathetic, manufactured stories of crisis which plagued his first few months at Spurs have also evaporated. Shamefully, he was treated as something between a joke and fool when he returned to take the reins at White Hart Lane. But not anymore. Those who did that previously have changed their tune.

'We may have been wrong about Andre Villas-Boas' said the Mail's Matt Lawton. Yes Matt, yes you were and we told you that at the time. Villas-Boas arrived in England with a tremendous record, but it had all happened abroad and as we know, that's a foreign country and not The Best League In The World and thus discounted by some of the small island minds.

The campaign against the man at Chelsea was heinous enough but the first few months of his tenure at Spurs was a shameful exercise in bullying and bigotry by the press. Time and again press and pundits sneered and wriggled and asked with astonishment 'why did they get rid of 'arry to replace him with this loser who couldn't handle things at Chelsea?'.

Precisely because Villa-Boas had taken Harry Redknapp's job, he was a problem from the start for so many in the press. Who did he think he was coming over here and stealing our man's job? The sound of knuckles being dragged was loud and proud.

Even now, his success by some is largely laid at his predecessor's door by those who cannot stomach the fact that a modern, progressive, successful manager is developing before our eyes.

The fact that Tottenham had one of their best starts to a season was ignored as though it was nothing. It didn't fit the picture they still wanted to paint of a man over-promoted, lucky to get this big job and not fit to shine the Redknapp shoes. He beat Manchester United at Old Trafford and it was dismissed as a fluke whereas if his predecessors had done so, you can be sure it would have been portrayed as an illustration of genius. Indeed, Redknapp still gets the credit for Gareth Bale's development, which is a perverse re-working of the historical facts.

They made up rubbish about his 'crisis' over Hugo Lloris' exclusion, when no problem ever existed. Indeed, now those same critics are saying he handled the transition from a 40-year-old keeper being first-team choice to the French international being first-team choice, immaculately.

The volte face in the media about Andre had to happen because his critics now held all the losing cards. But their attitude should not be forgotten. It was unreasonable, ignorant and wilfully nasty. I'm sure Mr V-B knows this and also knows that his newly acquired admirers in the press are the same two-faced knife-in the-back merchants who previously made his life so difficult. The rest of us always knew he was an intelligent, educated, well-versed and inspirational man - that he was perhaps the anti-Redknapp and maybe, deploying our own bigotry somewhat, that's why we liked him. As Chelsea beat themselves up over Rafa Benitez and can't decide if they love or hate Roman, how they must wish their players' selfishness had not caused the departure of this excellent coach.

He may not be the Special One but The Ginger One has a similarly bright future ahead of him.

Mind-games—A comparison between the training methods of Mourinho and Villas-Boas

http://blogs.thescore.com/counterat...training-methods-of-mourinho-and-villas-boas/

While Jose Mourinho was at Inter, he was visited by four university students. They were seeking to understand his methods with a view to writing a thesis about them. He was happy to oblige. “People have a general idea of what I do,” Mourinho said, “and it’s insufficient.”

The insights he gave over the course of an interview were fascinating particularly because so much of it was centred around unlocking the mind’s potential.
Mourinho discussed the subconscious and procedural memory. That’s the memory of the performance of particular types of action. Take driving, for instance.
Initially, when you start to learn, you’re concentrated on what gear you’re in, how fast you’re going and when to check your mirrors, to signal and maneuver.
With time, however, this all becomes second nature. You drive without making a conscious effort. Adjustments are made more or less automatically, whatever road you’re on, so you can focus on other things and make other decisions.

This is what Mourinho sets out to achieve in training. But how exactly?
Every exercise is done with the ball. Most if not all sessions last 90 minutes, the duration of a game, or a maximum of 120 minutes, like one that goes into extra time.

Each one is devised with the aim of reproducing moments of a match, specific situations so that once they come in a competitive context the players know exactly what to do and where to be on the pitch, how to defend and how to attack in whatever formation they’re in or up against and according to the circumstances they find themselves in too, be they a goal up or a goal down, a man up or down to 10 men.

With time, these movements are made without conscious effort because they’ve been logged to procedural memory. In theory, the mental strain on a player is reduced. You’re more in control. You’re more lucid. You’re more able to anticipate things, read the play and not only make better decisions but vary them too.
This is important. Because Mourinho doesn’t want to create robots or automatons. They’re predictable and he doesn’t want his teams to be that way.

“When I set about studying opponents and attempt to identify their behaviour, their tactics,” he explained. “I often realize that the development of their playing dynamic is more a mechanical automatism than a true playing dynamic.”

Mourinho’s method, as defined by Corriere della Sera columnist Sandro Modeo, is instead structured but open, robust but plastic.
“The objective,” he said, “is that the players understand the playing system and trust it, that they take some initiative because they’re convinced that it’s the best thing to do and not because someone else says: ‘Do it that way’.
“I know where it is I want us to get to, but instead of telling them: ‘Go that way,’ I want them to find their own way there.”
Psychologically it’s much more satisfying and validating to find the solution to a problem yourself than have someone else solve it for you. Mourinho understands this. He calls it ‘guided discovery’.

I mention all this because I think it’s what we’re seeing at Tottenham under Andre Villas-Boas.
Various assumptions have been made about Mourinho’s former assistant during his time in England. One is that he’s a tactics obsessive and a lot of that is down to the anecdotes we’ve been told about him.

For instance, there’s the now famous one about how one day after finishing school, he plucked up the courage to knock on the door of Sir Bobby Robson, who just happened to live in the same apartment block while he was manager of Porto, to ask why he persisted in playing Sergei Yuran up front, a striker who wasn’t prolific, when he had Domingos Paciencia, a centre-forward with a track record of scoring goals, on the bench. Robson encouraged his curiosity and legend has it he soon had Villas-Boas writing scouting reports that he’d post through the letterbox for him to read.

There would be many more. One of them, written while Villas-Boas was part of Jose Mourinho’s staff at Chelsea ahead of a game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine on November 19, 2005, was leaked soon after he got the manager’s position at Stamford Bridge in 2011. That and an interview he granted at the Cafe Maiorca to a University of Porto student, Daniel Sousa, who at the time was writing a thesis on football and is now his Head of Opposition Scouting at Tottenham, were used to reinforce this idea that his principal preoccupation was with tactics. “flimflam that can baffle brains,” Harry Redknapp said, although not overtly in reference to his successor at White Hart Lane, to say nothing of all its modern accoutrements.

So, as you can imagine, there was some surprise when he revealed prior to Tottenham’s visit to West Ham 10 days ago: “I have never used Prozone. I don’t use it because I don’t believe [in it].” It wasn’t a complete myth-buster but showed how the general perception of Villas-Boas and what his management entails is narrow.

“Tactics will always be a part of the manager’s job,” Villas-Boas told France Football earlier this year. “But before you get to that, there’s the attitude of the player: his concentration, his motivation, his desire to win. And this is more a job for a human being than a coach.”
Which brings us back to Villas-Boas’ apparent repudiation of Prozone. “The mind and how the player feels,” he said, “is much more important for us, rather than statistical data.”

He elaborated further on this in France Football when asked to give an insight into what his average working day is like.
“In general, I work a lot on the philosophy and the way of expressing potential during matches, physically and psychologically,” Villas-Boas explained. “We therefore simulate all the situations that players could encounter during matches so that they might automatically adapt, so they know how to adjust mentally, make the right decision…
“We work a lot on instant decision-making for the good of the team. You can teach them things individually but the decision on the pitch belongs to them. And sometimes it’s not exactly what the manager has taught. Instinct is so vital because everything changes very quickly in game situations. Of course you want to see the team play attractive attacking football. But with great freedom of decision. The players take more pleasure in it. You teach them how to manage an experience, they take the decision.”

An example of this might be how Tottenham have managed to stop conceding late goals like they had done earlier in the season.
Asked how he had achieved this following a 1-0 win at home to Swansea in December, Villas Boas said: “We address it between us as a group in training. You know by stimulating concentration in the last part of training. It’s very difficult because you can’t recreate the stress of a game and the environment of a game but we had a go. As I said it doesn’t mean that the problem is solved but the players have a conscience that we have conceded in the past and we want to get it right.

Prompted to expand further on that and in particular how you devise an exercise to specifically stop conceding late goals, Villas-Boas smiled: “By increasing complexity in terms of the exercises that you do. So that the more complex the exercise the more concentrated you have to be to do it. [And] by the tasks that they have to do in the exercise, you have to be very very creative.

When seen in this light, Mourinho and Villas-Boas’ work is all the more fascinating precisely because they seek to train body and mind simultaneously.
“We [at Tottenham] want to promote decision-making by developing the instinct of the players, a job which leads to what a human being is truly about,” Villas-Boas explained.

So for those of you wondering what exactly his contribution has been to Gareth Bale’s best ever season and the consolidation of his reputation as maybe one of the world’s top players in his position, perhaps there’s your answer. Villas-Boas has further developed his instinct.
Modern day coaching, it seems, is about mind-games after all. Just not as we first thought.

Re: Mind-games—A comparison between the training methods of Mourinho and Villas-Boas

my brain hurts

Re: Mind-games—A comparison between the training methods of Mourinho and Villas-Boas

I thought it was an excellent article, and probably explains best why we were struggling in a bit in the very first few games. The way the team looked completely open against West Brom and devoid of ideas against Norwich showed a team that wasn't totally comfortable with the methods used to coach them yet. And it also speaks to our gradual improvement as the season has progressed. The players have learned how to adapt to the different situations in matches and that, coupled with the switch to a proper high line defence and Lloris' installation has contributed to our good run of form.

Great article, which confirms what I have always thought that football is a state of mind. I used to play football competitively and it got to the stage where I knew whether we would win or lose a game by the body language of the players in the dressing room and by the quality and quantity of the banter before the game.

I detect a greater feeling of togetherness in the Spurs squad of today, than at any time over the last few years. I would guess that the images, video clips and stories that are released to the media are carefully reviewed by the communications team employed by the club, but the players and coaching staff do genuinely appear to be happy and united?

I remember reading one article that stated that AVB had an "open door" policy and was happy to discuss tactics with players. I also like the stories that have emanated out of WHL that he picks his players on merit (and for the challenges in hand), rather than rely on reputation or favouritism?

Long may this continue!

Thank you very much for that link OP. A great read and a superb insight into AVB and his methods.

I really did appreciate what Harry did for this team ( dragging us off our knees ) but I am pleased we have AVB now.

If true, and why shouldn't it be, its great to hear we have a progressive manager who I no doubt believe can take this club places.

It may also explain why AVB doesn't make wholesale changes to the team week in week out and why slowly over the season we have improved as a team unit. The more you play this way the more you benefit from this approach.

Without wanting to go over old ground its a refreshing approach compared to what we've done in the past.

I was not a big fan when Harry first signed for us, but he proved me wrong with his philosophy of keeping it simple, because your average footballer can't handle too many thoughts bouncing around his head. And for a long time I agreed with this philosphy of keeping it simple and letting players expree themselves on the pitch. And it worked for a long time, but it can only work as long as you have talented players at your disposal like we had Rafa n Modders. But its not a great philosophy when you lose those talented players.

Seeing how we are developing as a team shows that maybe a keep it simple approach long term may not be great. I love the idea that players are challenged mentally in training, and training is varied to keep playrs interested.

Football has been long in taking the mental side of things into account where others sports have used sports psychologists for years and years.

Excellent article...an important accompaniment to the tactics he does deploy (and employ)...

And -this is my business - is exactly how a great actor, dancer or performer is trained. Live both completely in the moment and outside of it at the same time, doing your job, with your 'team'. It's the same.

Sky published an article on Chris Iwelumo about his experiences playing in Denmark and Germany today and I found the following part quite interesting:

So you noticed the difference in training?

Yeah. It changed depending on who we were playing against - it was tailored to that extreme. I think here in England you go through things but over there everything was planned. Every session was with a view to putting something in the players' minds that could help them on a Saturday. Every single week that would change.

I still speak to Dieter Hecking who was my manager there. I hold my hands up. It definitely opened my eyes. I'm doing my coaching badges at the moment and I'm about to be assessed for my UEFA 'A' Licence. From a coaching point of view, seeing how they do things was an eye-opener.

And -this is my business - is exactly how a great actor, dancer or performer is trained. Live both completely in the moment and outside of it at the same time, doing your job, with your 'team'. It's the same.

=D>
Agreed.

It appears to require a degree of focus and insight that is beyond 3/4 of all clubs. Funnily enough, Hoddle was onto it very early in this country, the hame of it was that he worked through Eileen and that he operated at a time when (relatively speaking) knuckles dragged on football's floors with regards to such things. Put it this way, I am amazed at how long it's take for yoga to implant itself as an effective partner for training!

Re: Amusing but good Spurs article in The Evening Standard (for a change)

Will we ever trust Spurs to do the job?

Supporting Spurs and England you've become resigned to eternal disappointment.

"It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." :)

Back