• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

i dont see why we SHOULD finish 4th ? the only reason we should finish 4th is if AVB is a great manager.....that would mean our team SHOULD finish 4th. right now he isnt a great manager or an amazing one or even a real prodigy....what he is though is a good, he certainly isnt average though IMO....what he has done so far is a good enough job

i'm not sure why you expect him to hit his milestone so early on in his time for us

for me its more to do with the expectations of those that wanted him here ...with a view of improvement over the last 4 years ....basically indirectly saying that AVB's 4 years with us will surpass the 4 years prior to him arriving. which i think is going to be a tough sell without the financial backing of the board..........if the board give AVB backing them factors and expectations shift...they clearly didnt give it to the last one's tenure for his philosophy.

6th is where we should end up AT LEAST

at least he's made an effort to go into it and try to show what and why he's saying what he's saying. Alot of people dont even bother

yeh like the poster that made the comment in the first place. Have you seen Parklane's contribution to this thread and the Redknapp thread?

I will give those a go later but how about you answer this one.

Why is it that you IGNORE the FACT that there is a big difference in playing staff between this season and last season? AVB didn't take over the same team, yet a lot of you(delusional imo) are expecting the SAME if not BETTER results. AVB hasn't had:

Ledley King
Younes Kaboul
Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Scott Parker
Luka Modric
Rafael Van Der Vaart
Mousa Dembele(for half the season)
Emmanuel Adebayor(for half the season)

Why is our so called terrible season(we've accumulated 1 point less than the corresponding fixtures from last season) being pinned entirely on Andre Villas Boas? Why should Spurs be doing SO much better?

yeh like the poster that made the comment in the first place. Have you seen Parklane's contribution to this thread and the Redknapp thread?

yeah but recently that's all he really does though isnt it?

its fair enough if he cant be arsed to really get involved,.....at least he isnt throwing insults, making stuff up, polarising or antagonising people intentionally etc...which makes him ace in my book.

surely due to the lack of content it should be easy for you to skip his posts, no?

AS - I think I'm fully justified in saying we SHOULD finish 4/5th because, apart from the two Manchester sides, we're capable of keeping up with Chelsea and the scum. We're nowhere near as good as some of our own fans think we should be but the others aren't as good either.

Why is it that you IGNORE the FACT that there is a big difference in playing staff between this season and last season? AVB didn't take over the same team, yet a lot of you(delusional imo) are expecting the SAME if not BETTER results. AVB hasn't had:

Ledley King
Younes Kaboul
Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Scott Parker
Luka Modric
Rafael Van Der Vaart

Why is our so called terrible season(we've accumulated 1 point less than the corresponding fixtures from last season) being pinned entirely on Andre Villas Boas? Why should Spurs be doing SO much better?

playing devils advocate? ...because allegedly compared to the last person we had at the helms, AVB has been portrayed as the second coming and a tactical MASTER genious, all his previous bad exploits judged to have nothing to do with him.....and his good exploits in porto were all him. he was going to come here and change things dramatically...impose fitness, pressing, some kind of dribbling sweeper keeper and 10 man pivot in midfield that would bamboozle everyone....blah blah blah

i'm kidding....but the general theme i would say is why people are very judgemental about him

one thing i will say is that i dont notice much of a difference to things we have done in the past, i dont notice much of a difference to the system either.....and team selection. thats the only thing i would dispute

the rest i think AVB has done a surprisingly good job...IMO anyway

AS - I think I'm fully justified in saying we SHOULD finish 4/5th because, apart from the two Manchester sides, we're capable of keeping up with Chelsea and the scum. We're nowhere near as good as some of our own fans think we should be but the others aren't as good either.

thats actually a very good point

the only thing i would consider if i were you is that wenger is significantly better than AVB, without a doubt in my mind...the system that arsenal play is better than ours and systems make personnel better than they are individual when applied collectively. arsenal may not be much better than we are personnel wise but they are a better TEAM.

chelsea have better players but i would say are hampered by the soap opera thats going on in there, plus they dont have a striker...but the second they get their act together and buy into a particular system then we wont see them for dust

everton have, IMO, an very good manager with GREAT character , will and strong personality...they also have the benefit of chemistry , settled side and boat loads of continuity ....and they have a system now thats working for them...which at this point is better or at least more effective than ours.

i cant IMO see how 4th SHOULD be where we finish

what i said in the summer : should be looking at anywhere between 4th-6th depending on how we cope with the change around in players/coaching staff.

which is probably why im pretty content with how things are going

to be one point off of what we got from the same games last season is impressive to me, taking in to account what i perceive to be a drop in quality overall in the first team plus the injuries we have been dealt.

Last edited:
Wenger and Moyes have instilled something in their players that I would LOVE to see in our boys. That never stop fighting attitude would add untold points to a teams total and was a major reason I wanted Moyes to replace Redknapp. I fully expect the toffees to finish 5/6th just like the barcodes last season.

Wenger and Moyes have instilled something in their players that I would LOVE to see in our boys. That never stop fighting attitude would add untold points to a teams total and was a major reason I wanted Moyes to replace Redknapp. I fully expect the toffees to finish 5/6th just like the barcodes last season.

SAF too. Indeed to a lesser extent you have to say Pullis also gets 110% out of his mediocre resources.

If anyone could get anything like 100% out of our players, we would be challenging for the title.

Lets look at who has improved under AVB

Walker - gone backwards
Gallas - gone backwards
Lennon - a shadow of his former self
Sandro - same beast
Bale - same world class
Ade - gone backwards
Defoe - improved

Not exactly a ringing endorsement so far

Last edited:
yeah but recently that's all he really does though isnt it?

its fair enough if he cant be arsed to really get involved,.....at least he isnt throwing insults, making stuff up, polarising or antagonising people intentionally etc...which makes him ace in my book.

surely due to the lack of content it should be easy for you to skip his posts, no?

True it's easy to skip but the nerve of him actually having a go at another poster that made the effort to type a thoughtful and detailed post. Guess what? even in his dissmissal of the post he could only muster up one sentence (AGAIN).

If anyone could get anything like 100% out of our players, we would be challenging for the title.

It may be that we are at a disadvantage here because AVB is so young and inexperienced: he couldn't tear a player off a strip in the way, say, Harry could: he just doesn't have the authority and experience of an older man. How do you motivate Adebayor for example? Christ knows!
But the reality is that the only way we would be challenging for the title is if we had a Van Persie/Rooney type of top top striker. Bizarrely (for Spurs) our front line is the weak link this season, and that is why we may miss out on the top 4 spot, not because of managerial failings.

Ledley King
Younes Kaboul
Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Scott Parker
Luka Modric
Rafael Van Der Vaart

Because none of that stuff is under his control, hence there's no point on focusing on them. What is 100% under his control is the tactical decisions, which has always been my biggest gripe with him and which nobody has offered any justification for other than "BAH! HE LOST MODRIC AND VAN DER VAART AND HAD SOME INJURIES"

A few questions for you:

Do you agree with some/any of the points that myself, King Dawson, Golf Ball or any other have made regarding AVB?
What have you made of AVB's tactical decisions so far?
What have you made of his substitutions?
What do you think of our home performances this season?
Where do you think we should finish this season?
Where will we finish in the table when it's all said and done?

I am interested to see what your response is to the last two questions especially so we can get on record what you expect from AVB and the team this season, and your reactions will be if we do not hit those targets.

(1) What i do not agree with is those that can not get over the sacking of Redknapp and do not have a good word to say about AVB, if the cap fits then you have your answer.

(2) With what he has to work with i agree with most of his decisions.

(3) Substitutions can be a lottery, when they work it is genius when it does not its wrong, pretty much the same for most managers.

(4) Could they be better yes, but i also remember sitting through a lot of brick under previous managers and i have seen most of them live.

(5) Top Six

(6) As i have said several times i believe its between us and the Arse for forth place.

Now they are my answers i hope they satisfy you, i see no need to do war and peace on my answers.

True it's easy to skip but the nerve of him actually having a go at another poster that made the effort to type a thoughtful and detailed post. Guess what? even in his dissmissal of the post he could only muster up one sentence (AGAIN).

yeah i did think that was poor form, but i'm not going to preach a holier than thou message on this as i have done similar before ....it could very well be an emotional response to something thats genuinely annoyed him, getting on his tits etc. sometimes you just have to skim read the 'ramblings' of one of the usual suspects , see the same flimflam and then just roll your eyes and say..."whatever man". (this isnt directed at anyone...just in general)

(1) What i do not agree with is those that can not get over the sacking of Redknapp and do not have a good word to say about AVB, if the cap fits then you have your answer.

(2) With what he has to work with i agree with most of his decisions.

(3) Substitutions can be a lottery, when they work it is genius when it does not its wrong, pretty much the same for most managers.

(4) Could they be better yes, but i also remember sitting through a lot of brick under previous managers and i have seen most of them live.

(5) Top Six

(6) As i have said several times i believe its between us and the Arse for forth place.

Now they are my answers i hope they satisfy you, i see no need to do war and peace on my answers.

:ross:

you one lined EVERYTHING...thats amazing!!

this one is the best though

"What have you made of AVB's tactical decisions so far?"

answer

"With what he has to work with i agree with most of his decisions."

ingeniousness....

It may be that we are at a disadvantage here because AVB is so young and inexperienced: he couldn't tear a player off a strip in the way, say, Harry could: he just doesn't have the authority and experience of an older man. How do you motivate Adebayor for example? Christ knows!
But the reality is that the only way we would be challenging for the title is if we had a Van Persie/Rooney type of top top striker. Bizarrely (for Spurs) our front line is the weak link this season, and that is why we may miss out on the top 4 spot, not because of managerial failings.

Ade and Defoe on their day can be devastating. If they could be consistent and scored 20 plus goals a season then we would be right up there. However, given that they wont, then I agree with you that we need a top class striker.

"Now they are my answers i hope they satisfy you, i see no need to do war and peace on my answers."

yeah, you probably shouldnt deliver sarcastic one liners and mini digs at other people's points then ;)

Ledley King
Younes Kaboul
Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Scott Parker
Luka Modric
Rafael Van Der Vaart

I have acknowledged the fact that we have sold key players several times. And that he was mugged off by Levy in the last window. However, injuries happen to EVERY CLUB, why are ours more important than everybody else's?

I agree it's unfair to pin everything on a manager, but then again, the last manager got most of the blame for our collapse last season. It should be shared with the players.

And one more thing, I am not unhappy with the results, I'm quite pleased on the whole. But I've been far from impressed with the PERFORMANCES on the whole and also the substitutions.

I have acknowledged the fact that we have sold key players several times. And that he was mugged off by Levy in the last window. However, injuries happen to EVERY CLUB, why are ours more important than everybody else's?

I agree it's unfair to pin everything on a manager, but then again, the last manager got most of the blame for our collapse last season. It should be shared with the players.

And one more thing, I am not unhappy with the results, I'm quite pleased on the whole. But I've been far from impressed with the PERFORMANCES on the whole and also the substitutions.

Agree with this. Particularly the last sentence,

Back