• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

nothing but loser talk here.

it's ok to only make their keeper make one outstanding save?

its ok to huff and puff with very little movement and make stoke's job of nullifying us easy?

why? because chelsea struggled too because the mighty stoke are good at doing what they do?

We should be beating teams like stoke at home, not just to show our intent but because we need to be better than just settling for a point and say "hey some perspective, they ALMOST did the same to Chelsea" - fudging loser speech!! We need to go out and get better quality into the squad instead of leaving our transfer dealings to the last day of the window and then shrugging our shoulders when deals fall through!

Again we are going to fall short of CL because the club does not think big and some fans are perfectly happy to lap it up! AVB has come but nothing has changed! We're still facing the same problems and short comings as previously. Is it his fault? Well yes partially as we saw against Everton because he makes mistakes. The core of the problem is in the transfer market - sell our best players (Modric) and buy donkeys at a 5th of the cost (Dempsey).

Losers - from chairman, to manager to players, to fans! Every single one of us! "Hey have some perspective...?" fudge that!

It's not loser talk mate, it's realistic. Emirates Marketing Project couldn't beat Reading in 90 minutes and without a murky goal that was probably a foul yesterday. Liverpool, who people hold up as this example of a club that has implemented a style of football that AVB has failed to do, also drew 0-0 with Stoke. Chelsea only beat them because they got the bounce of the ball. So there's examples of clubs that for varying reasons should be able to beat them easily too, and couldn't. What you are saying is that it doesn't matter what other clubs do, because we are Tottenham and therefore we should be able to win without much problem. But that's not what football is! Why hold unrealistic expectations and then be overly disappointed when they aren't reached? It's a recipe for negativity.

I've seen something evolve slowly but surely this season, and today I felt we saw it perhaps more clearly than ever before (nearly cost us a goal TBF! :eek:)...playing the ball out from the back virtually every time. We really didn't launch to many hoofers today and in playing it out slowly from the back, we looked about as strong as I can remember with regards to keeping possession. if we can upgrade the finishing in Jan, and if we can be patient and keep on developing particulars like this, we will be very very hard to beat. Oh, another positive if nobody minds another potential positive, two clean sheets back to back and third clean sheet in 4 league games now?

Agreed - we have been more patient. I think a fit Benny will make a difference too, but also because it allows JV to play in the middle, and if we can get him in there alongside Caulker we will have two guys comfortable joining up with the attack which will free up Dembele and draw defensive teams onto them. As much as Daws tries to be more patient and launch it less, he can only really play a simple short ball. He just isn't capable of playing the 'risky' ball after carrying it for a bit of distance, and to be honest you wouldn't want him doing it.

AVB is confident getting the injuries back will help improve our form and I can see why. Benny at left back allowing JV to move to the middle and Kaboul another option at the back who is comfortable bringing the ball out. If we can add someone with a bit more guile in the final third in January then I think we can have a real strong second half of the season.

I prefer Daws to Caulker.
I'm not a big fan of Benny but hope his return can allow JV to develop alongside Daws at CB. Though I would have played JV at LB yesterday even if Benny was fit. There'd be other games to do that too. Benny's lack of aerial ability is a weakness in his game. Though with Lloris in goal, it's probably not so important as with stay at home Brad and the madness that was King Gomes.

We need another striker.

another poor performance from us and it's getting pretty repetitive now.

Why wait that long to make a substitution? what kind of substitution is Parker for Dembele when you're trying to win a game?

he had no idea today imo. He saw Lennon put that shambles first half performance and he waits until the 79th min to take him off. He sees Sigurddson look good for 4 sub appearances running and gives him 10 minutes. He switches Bale to the right because of Lennon's utter turd water performance.

I do think Sigurdsson/Townsend should come on earlier (and winning the game bit). May be other than Lennon, another sub choice should be one of Defoe/Ade.

But I don't agree with the way you put it.

Last edited:
I knew this would come up the moment the issue of Parker for Dembele was raised...the reason Harry got slated (quite rightly too IMO) for the sub at Villa, was because Jermain Defoe was available that day on the bench and did not get onto the pitch for a game we had to win. Neither did Saha. We had two official strikers on the bench and neither came on for the last 10 minutes of a game we needed three points in. I'd have rather seen the classic 'hail Mary' and thrown one or both on, rolled the dice...

I was watching the game at home, and if I remembered correctly, I dropped my mug when that change was made.

But it's one of the few changes that I could understand what 'Arry was thinking.

We were on level term with Saudi Sportswashing Machine before the game (but were ahead on GD in 4th place). Saudi Sportswashing Machine were losing to City when 'Arry made the sub.

I have to try to tell myself hundred times that at least it's a point closer to 4th. If Chel$ki didn't win that d*mn big eared thingy, it would not be such a bad decision.

Last edited:
Our injuries are valid for looking at our performances. Given that we're picking up results the critics have decided to use the performances as the stick to beat AVB with.

Liverpool are not rivals for top 4 IMO. Our fight will be with Arsenal and Everton and maybe Chelsea, but the former two have played the same way, under the same manager, for years. Everton have their main players fit and got of to a good start for once. Arsenal are Arsenal. They don't spend their money wisely, but their experience at sneaking 4th place can't be underestimated.

Unfortunately I think Liverpool ARE rivals for the fourth spot - especially if Sturridge hits the ground running. They have been playing well but not getting the results. When this changes they could easily go on a run. 4-0 against Fulham at the weekend was better than anything we have done this season.

The current Spurs team is very "un-Tottenham" in that we have a great defence, tough tackling midfield - and no really consistent top strikers.
Defoe has patches where he is wonderful and we think "this could be his season", but then he reverts to mediocrity. Adebayor is wonderful when he is fired up,
but right now he isn't fired up.
Without a top striker we will huff and puff all season I suspect. The good news is that we are still in the hunt for 4th, but unless someone puts a spark under Adebayor, we may well end up 6th or 7th, and there is very little that any manager can do about that.

I wonder what today's excuses will be. How long before some people just admit we aren't playing as a team, the manager is responsible for this, it's the same every week and nothing is changing. Unless we have a miraculous turn around in performances (which we currently have no signs that this will happen) then we all know how AVBs Spurs career turns out.

More knee jerk reactions from you, i do not know why you do not tinkle off and watch Q.P.R .

This thread needs some serious perspective.

Stoke are a team where the whole culture of their club is to defend like they did today. They have been doing it for years. They are frustrating many teams this season. Chelsea needed a pretty lucky Ashley Cole goal to beat them at Stamford Bridge. It isn't easy to beat them - and Chelsea had the likes of Hazard, Oscar and Mata to call on. It isn't going to be easy for us to turn up and beat them. There is no secret mega tactic that unlocks a team like Stoke. You have to work hard, and if they show bugger all ambition, you need to get the bounce of the ball and take your chances. We didn't today. It's not a management problem. It's not even really a player problem. Our players are good. But we just didn't do it today.

Man United needed a ridiculously flukey goal to beat West Ham 1-0 a couple of weeks ago at home. Emirates Marketing Project needed 93 minutes and a murky goal to beat the worst side in the league at home today. It happens, and in terms of showing up to defend for your lives Stoke are better at doing that than West Ham or Reading. Chill out guys! There are no easy games in this league. The sooner people accept that the sooner people won't over-react to losses. We may lose to Villa next week. We are away, they have some decent players that can cause damage within 90 minutes and we may not be able to respond in time. Does it mean AVB is clueless? No. Are our players brick? No. But it might happen.

We will also win games this season. We will again have good patches of form and bad patches of form. Right now we are pretty much where we should be. Level on points with 4th. Let's see where we are at the end.

Good post, unfortuatly the knee jerkers will dismiss it as blind faith. I noticed that the usual moaners are complaining that the reason we did not beat Stoke was because we have no creativity in the team, well we had plenty last season with Modric and VDV and we still only got a point aginast Stoke at home.

I was at Villa Park last season and couldn't believe it when Parker came on instead of Defoe...but I did at least figure out the rationale behind the decision. The fact is, we were down to 10 men at the time, and since Danny Rose had gone off we had moved Bale to left-back. The decision to bring on Parker was an attempt to get our best attacking player further up the pitch, like when Emirates Marketing Project sometimes bring on a defensive midfielder when they want to attack more, because Yaya Toure can then push further up.

Back onto AVB, Saturday was a big opportunity for him to show some real ingenuity and tactical nous. The starting line-up was one that most people expected. But if he'd been REALLY smart, he would have expected Stoke to play with 10 men behind the ball for much of the game, not give us much space and make it difficult to create chances. In that situation, he'd have looked at his squad and thought he needed to make sure he had somebody capable of either playing a good pass to players who HAVE managed to find some space, or at least be able to shoot from distance seeing as getting time and space in the box won't be easy. As Huddlestone and Carroll were injured I think (I am VERY concerned if they were available and he went for Livermore on the bench instead), the obvious person in this mould was surely Sigurdsson. If he'd been really tactically smart, he would have rewarded Gylfi's good recent performances with a position in the starting line-up, on the basis that he'd not only been playing well but was also the right player for the occasion. There were a number of options as to who he could start ahead of, perhaps Defoe who has played a huge amount of football this season and with Stoke defending well with so many players back he'd probably struggle to get into the positions that have seen him get so high in the goalscoring charts. Or perhaps Adebayor who hasn't really hit form yet this season. But I probably would have started him in place of Lennon, as he could not only switch places from the wing and in the middle with Dembele as the game progressed to keep our play unpredictable, but also Lennon's own form has been a bit rusty and it could give him the kick up the backside he needs, also his pace is a great thing to be able to bring on against tired legs in the second half.

But he didn't take that opportunity. Oh well. I guess a lot of managers would stick to the established first XI that has been getting results recently. But we were brick in the first half. So something had to change. AVB's response was to switch Bale and Lennon over, you know, that thing that annoyed the fudge out of so many people last season when Harry did it. It worked reasonably well, but...we were still struggling to create chances. 10 minutes into the second half I was getting frustrated, why wasn't he bringing on Sigurdsson? 20 minutes in, still no Gylfi. 30 minutes in, STILL no Gylfi. We had to wait until the 78th minute to see Sigurdsson appear. And instantly, we looked better. We forced more saves from Begovic in the 12 minutes he was on the pitch than in the 78 he was on the bench. So why the fudge did he wait so long? Did he hope we'd just magically find a way past this very strong defence who up to that point hadn't given us a sniff at goal yet? Einstein once said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, well AVB was insane for 78 minutes.

But it didn't stop there. Then, with the scores level at 0-0 but the momentum all with us, he took off Dembele to bring on Parker. I have theories as to why he did this, unfortunately none of them to do with beating Stoke. I think AVB is very cautious, after what happened at Chelsea, of tinkling off any of the big personalities in the squad. So one theory is that he'd told Parker beforehand that he'd get a run out, concerned about upsetting a big personality in the squad, brought him on instead of Townsend for the final few minutes. Or maybe Dembele was injured, in which case Parker wasn't the best replacement. If he'd really wanted to bring on Parker, he should have taken off Sandro IMO, even though he'd been playing well. Or maybe even bring off Walker and get an extra man in midfield. But...no.

Now this is only part of what he got wrong on Saturday. We are entering the busy Christmas period. After Stoke, we have two tricky away games this week, as well as another game on New Year's Day. We need to be resting and rotating players. So to go with our regular starting XI for this game and wait until the 78th minute before making the first sub, the 85th minute for the second and to not even make the third, shows a lack of understanding about managing the form and fitness of the squad, as well as serious continued issues of indecisiveness and hesitation.

In a nutshell, another poor tactical display. What do those of you who continue to deny AVB's lack of tactical nous consider to be a poor tactical performance, short of dropping all of your best players and putting a striker in goal? Because this, for me, was another poor tactical performance from our manager. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke when you get to know him, the players all seem to like him at Spurs. But what I am seeing from him is poor tactics on a regular basis and it makes it so hard for me to give him any credit for anything when he keeps doing this.

It's not about being an AVB "hater" or anything like that. I'd love for him to do well here. And seeing as he hasn't lost the dressing room, all he has to do is show some intelligence in his tactics and he'll win me over. But he keeps failing to do so. Not only does he fail to show real flair and creativity in his tactical decisions, he gets the simple things wrong too. Like I said earlier in the thread, in true Glory-Glory style, AVB...what does he do?

I was at Villa Park last season and couldn't believe it when Parker came on instead of Defoe...but I did at least figure out the rationale behind the decision. The fact is, we were down to 10 men at the time, and since Danny Rose had gone off we had moved Bale to left-back. The decision to bring on Parker was an attempt to get our best attacking player further up the pitch, like when Emirates Marketing Project sometimes bring on a defensive midfielder when they want to attack more, because Yaya Toure can then push further up.

Back onto AVB, Saturday was a big opportunity for him to show some real ingenuity and tactical nous. The starting line-up was one that most people expected. But if he'd been REALLY smart, he would have expected Stoke to play with 10 men behind the ball for much of the game, not give us much space and make it difficult to create chances. In that situation, he'd have looked at his squad and thought he needed to make sure he had somebody capable of either playing a good pass to players who HAVE managed to find some space, or at least be able to shoot from distance seeing as getting time and space in the box won't be easy. As Huddlestone and Carroll were injured I think (I am VERY concerned if they were available and he went for Livermore on the bench instead), the obvious person in this mould was surely Sigurdsson. If he'd been really tactically smart, he would have rewarded Gylfi good recent performances with a position in the starting line-up, on the basis that he'd not only been playing well but was also the right player for the occasion. There were a number of options as to who he could start ahead of, perhaps Defoe who has played a huge amount of football this season and with Stoke defending well with so many players back he'd probably struggle to get into the positions that have seen him get so high in the goalscoring charts. Or perhaps Adebayor who hasn't really hit form yet this season. But I probably would have started him in place of Lennon, as he could not only switch places from the wing and in the middle with Dembele as the game progressed to keep our play unpredictable, but also Lennon's own form has been a bit rusty and it could give him the kick up the backside he needs, also his pace is a great thing to be able to bring on against tired legs in the second half.

But he didn't take that opportunity. Oh well. I guess a lot of managers would stick to the established first XI that has been getting results recently. But we were brick in the first half. So something had to change. AVB's response was to switch Bale and Lennon over, you know, that thing that annoyed the fudge out of so many people last season when Harry did it. It worked reasonably well, but...we were still struggling to create chances. 10 minutes into the second half I was getting frustrated, why wasn't he bringing on Sigurdsson? 20 minutes in, still no Gylfi. 30 minutes in, STILL no Gylfi. We had to wait until the 78th minute to see Sigurdsson appear. And instantly, we looked better. We forced more saves from Begovic in the 12 minutes he was on the pitch than in the 78 he was on the bench. So why the fudge did he wait so long? Did he hope we'd just magically find a way past this very strong defence who up to that point hadn't given us a sniff at goal yet? Einstein once said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, well AVB was insane for 78 minutes.

But it didn't stop there. Then, with the scores level at 0-0 but the momentum all with us, he took off Dembele to bring on Parker. I have theories as to why he did this, unfortunately none of them to do with beating Stoke. I think AVB is very cautious, after what happened at Chelsea, of tinkling off any of the big personalities in the squad. So one theory is that he'd told Parker beforehand that he'd get a run out, concerned about upsetting a big personality in the squad, brought him on instead of Townsend for the final few minutes. Or maybe Dembele was injured, in which case Parker wasn't the best replacement. If he'd really wanted to bring on Parker, he should have taken off Sandro IMO, even though he'd been playing well. Or maybe even bring off Walker and get an extra man in midfield. But...no.

Now this is only part of what he got wrong on Saturday. We are entering the busy Christmas period. After Stoke, we have two tricky away games this week, as well as another game on New Year's Day. We need to be resting and rotating players. So to go with our regular starting XI for this game and wait until the 78th minute before making the first sub, the 85th minute for the second and to not even make the third, shows a lack of understanding about managing the form and fitness of the squad, as well as serious continued issues of indecisiveness and hesitation.

In a nutshell, another poor tactical display. What do those of you who continue to deny AVB's lack of tactical nous consider to be a poor tactical performance, short of dropping all of your best players and putting a striker in goal? Because this, for me, was another poor tactical performance from our manager. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke when you get to know him, the players all seem to like him at Spurs. But what I am seeing from him is poor tactics on a regular basis and it makes it so hard for me to give him any credit for anything when he keeps doing this.

It's not about being an AVB "hater" or anything like that. I'd love for him to do well here. And seeing as he hasn't lost the dressing room, all he has to do is show some intelligence in his tactics and he'll win me over. But he keeps failing to do so. Not only does he fail to show real flair and creativity in his tactical decisions, he gets the simple things wrong too. Like I said earlier in the thread, in true Glory-Glory style, AVB...what does he do?

Another war and peace post that really says nothing of any importance except your ramblings on AVB.

shows a lack of understanding about managing the form and fitness of the squad, as well as serious continued issues of indecisiveness and hesitation.

we've played more players in the premiership than any other team i read somewhere yesterday - Im not concerned about our fitness levels going in to the xmas run in at all. in fact the way we have fielded strong sides in Europe as well would suggest to me that the players are going to be more prepared, if anything, for the reduced time off in between games.

Another war and peace post that really says nothing of any importance except your ramblings on AVB.

A few questions for you:

Do you agree with some/any of the points that myself, Kingdawson, Golfball or any other have made regarding AVB?
What have you made of AVB's tactical decisions so far?
What have you made of his substitutions?
What do you think of our home performances this season?
Where do you think we should finish this season?
Where will we finish in the table when it's all said and done?

I am interested to see what your response is to the last two questions especially so we can get on record what you expect from AVB and the team this season, and your reactions will be if we do not hit those targets.

Good post, unfortuatly the knee jerkers will dismiss it as blind faith. I noticed that the usual moaners are complaining that the reason we did not beat Stoke was because we have no creativity in the team, well we had plenty last season with Modric and VDV and we still only got a point aginast Stoke at home.

We were tinkled off with the team and manager when we didn't beat them last season also. So just because it's a new manager, are we not allowed to be disappointed with the overall result and are we not allowed to raise some valid points about the current manager/team?

The current Spurs team is very "un-Tottenham" in that we have a great defence, tough tackling midfield - and no really consistent top strikers.
Defoe has patches where he is wonderful and we think "this could be his season", but then he reverts to mediocrity. Adebayor is wonderful when he is fired up,
but right now he isn't fired up.
Without a top striker we will huff and puff all season I suspect. The good news is that we are still in the hunt for 4th, but unless someone puts a spark under Adebayor, we may well end up 6th or 7th, and there is very little that any manager can do about that.

I'm sorry, a great defence? We've kept 4 clean sheets all season. Were not anywhere near the top when it comes to fewest goals conceded.

I completely agree with the rest of the post!

A few questions for you:

Do you agree with some/any of the points that myself, Kingdawson, Golfball or any other have made regarding AVB?
What have you made of AVB's tactical decisions so far?
What have you made of his substitutions?
What do you think of our home performances this season?
Where do you think we should finish this season?
Where will we finish in the table when it's all said and done?

I am interested to see what your response is to the last two questions especially so we can get on record what you expect from AVB and the team this season, and your reactions will be if we do not hit those targets.

I'd love to hear a few posters answers to those. For me:

Substitutions are shocking on the whole (Not every one you understand)
We SHOULD finish 4/5th. We WILL finish 5/6th.

Why is AVB immune from critiscm from some?

Back